Discussion of the Titanium/Elmax Pingo and Squeak

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Discussion of the Titanium/Elmax Pingo and Squeak

Post by Donut »

Leeroy37 wrote:Personally I think the perfect UK legal knife would be a non locking dragonfly, the handle is a bit bigger than the squeak slightly better ergos for me (really is the little big knife) I think it would take the UK market by storm :eek:
That's a great idea. The Dragonfly is the perfect model that is between too big and too small. It's just big enough to be very useful and comfortable.

I wonder if the geometry can handle it. All of the standard slipjoints I've seen have a metal lockbar/spring that runs the entire length of the handle and the back of the handle has to have a very slight arch.

Until I read this thread, I didn't notice the Urban was going to be made in Italy.

It would be nice to see the rough texture of the Golden made FRN UKPK implemented in Italy. Also, if the Squeak and Pingo can handle it, the forked spring.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Donut, it looks like the FRN on the Urban will have the same texture and spyder logo as the Golden UKPK's according to the photo in the 2015 catalog.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

PITS should be shipping early January.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Donut, it looks like the FRN on the Urban will have the same texture and spyder logo as the Golden UKPK's according to the photo in the 2015 catalog.
Yeah, the grid pattern is a little slippery, somehow in the golden models they roughed it up a bit and my hand doesn't slide in any direction. I haven't seen that pattern done in any of the Italy models. I hope they can figure it out.

After some dealing with plastic molding, it's possible that they are underfilling or just barely filling the mold to get the roughness on the edges.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

It sounds awesome all 3 models TI/Elmax I am waiting on the Urban slip it, will get a squeak on Ti for sure and maybe the urban. I am becoming a Spyderco slip it fan very fast, I want them all.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Considering the pricing on the Ti Pingo and Squeak sprints, I think Spyderco may have a hard time moving very many units. MSRP is $329.95 on the Pingo, $279.95 on the Squeak. As nice as they are, a street price of about $200 and $170 respectively seems a bit steep. I'm sure the quality will be fantastic and everything, I just wonder how much demand there will be at those prices.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That is pretty steep, you're right. But the people asked for it and Spyderco was kind enough to oblige. Now the people need to pay up lol.
When people talk about nicer versions of these FRN slipits, I can't help but feel like they would be happy with G10 instead of titanium as long as it's a nice steel (Elmax is great). That would certainly make them a little more affordable. But I don't know how well certain factory's like the one in Italy do G10.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
remnar

Post by remnar »

jabba359 wrote:Considering the pricing on the Ti Pingo and Squeak sprints, I think Spyderco may have a hard time moving very many units. MSRP is $329.95 on the Pingo, $279.95 on the Squeak. As nice as they are, a street price of about $200 and $170 respectively seems a bit steep. I'm sure the quality will be fantastic and everything, I just wonder how much demand there will be at those prices.
I was excited about the Pingo until I saw some of the pre-order prices. There are plenty of other, and in some ways nicer, Ti knives that I could pick up for around the same price. I think I'll pass on these. :(
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I've been waitinga long time for a Ti Squeak....don't know if I'll be able to get one at that price though. I knew the price would be considerably higher, just not that high. May still end up with one....it's one of the few models I REALLY wanted to see done in titanium.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, owning a Manix XL and the KW exclusive PM2, I'm really spoiled with bang for the buck. Def makes it hard to pull the trigger on a certain models with a lower perceived "value." Still interested in the squeak, and hope to find it sub 150 at some point. As long as I can get it under the PM2 exclusive, I'll still respect myself in the morning.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Considering that the market for non locking Spyderco's seems kinda small around here I'm willing to bet these won't fly off the shelves and will probably be available for a while. I remember I wanted a Blue Lava so bad when it came out but I couldn't justify the price for such a small little knife. As time went on,the discounts came and I eventually picked one up at a good price. I think the same thing will happen here.

That said, I've been wrong before. Maybe these will be a hot ticket item. I'm also waiting on picking one up until I hear about how strong the spring is. I hope its on the same level as the new ffg FRN UKPK.

@liquid_cobra
brick

Post by brick »

Maybe I missed it in a different thread, but have we heard anything on when these knives might start to ship?

-Tim
-Tim
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote: We could also easily make a Ti Urban.

sal
Now THAT would be awesome. How did I miss that?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jazz wrote:
sal wrote: We could also easily make a Ti Urban.

sal
Now THAT would be awesome. How did I miss that?
Shameless bump for this thread. It would seem that the urban has been received very well. Pretty much every review I've seen on them has the review recommending the urban over the UKPK. So any chance of a titanium Urban sprint?

@liquid_cobra
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

That would be brilliant! I'd be in for one for sure .
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

I just picked up a Ti Squeak and I love it. A Ti Urban would be awesome! Elmax would just be over the top :)