December Spyderco Byte . . New Steels on the horizon!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

December Spyderco Byte . . New Steels on the horizon!

Post by xceptnl »

For those that don't get the Spyderco Byte monthly newsletter. We have some new steels on the horizon. Some interesting and exciting possibilities for sure.
Since we made our first knife nearly 35 years ago, Spyderco has developed a well-earned a reputation for “pushing the envelope” of cutting tool performance in every way possible. One of our most significant accomplishments in this field has been our concerted effort to introduce exotic, state-of-the-art steels into the realm of factory-made knives.
Through our close working relationships with both U.S. and international steel manufacturers, Spyderco consistently offers one of the broadest selections of blade steels in the industry. As we move into 2015, our spectrum of steels will expand even further to include several exciting new high-performance steels. Here’s a sneak peek of what to expect and some insights into what makes these unique alloys so special.

Carpenter® CTS® B70P

CTS B70P is a high-chromium air-hardening steel that is a powder metallurgy derivative of Carpenter’s CRB-7® alloy. It offers comparable corrosion resistance to 440C—long an industry standard—but with the advantages of enhanced wear resistance and increased hardness capability. The addition of molybdenum, vanadium, and niobium to this advanced alloy, in conjunction with the uniform carbide structure that results from the powder metallurgy process, greatly improve edge retention. Its alloy composition also enhances this steel’s grinding and polishing characteristics, making it an ideal material for high-performance knife blades.

Carbon 1.10%
Chromium 14.00%
Niobium 0.25%
Manganese 0.50%
Molybdenum 2.00%
Silicon 0.30%
Vanadium 1.00%

Crucible/Latrobe CPM 20CV

CPM 20CV contains the highest amount of chromium of any high-vanadium stainless steel currently available. It contains a large volume of extremely hard vanadium carbides that give it excellent wear resistance and edge-holding capability. At the same time, its 20.00% chromium content makes it extremely corrosion resistant and easy to polish. And because it is a powder metallurgy steel, these properties are enhanced through the benefits of a fine, uniform grain size and an extremely clean microstructure. The result is a superior steel that combines wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and toughness into a material that is tailor made for knife blades.

Carbon 1.90%
Chromium 20.00%
Tungsten 0.60%
Manganese 0.30%
Molybdenum 1.00%
Silicon 0.30%
Vanadium 4.00%

Damasteel® RWL-34

RWL-34 is a martensitic stainless steel produced by the Rapid Solidified Powder (RSP) process. A martensitic variant of the 420 stainless steel family, it combines a minimum of 13% chromium with molybdenum and vanadium to yield a corrosion-resistant steel that also has high hardenability and excellent grinding and polishing characteristics. Collectively, these qualities give it all the traits necessary in a high-performance knife steel.

Carbon 1.05%
Chromium 14.00%
Manganese 0.50%
Molybdenum 4.00%
Silicon 0.50%
Vanadium 0.20%

Carpenter Micro-Melt® Maxamet® Alloy

Maxamet is a high-alloy powder metallurgy tool steel that outperforms conventional tool steels and possesses many of the performance qualities of cemented carbide materials Its alloy composition features over two percent carbon and high amounts of vanadium, cobalt, and tungsten. The result is an ultra-high-performance tool steel that maintains good toughness, even at high hardness levels.

Carbon 2.15%
Chromium 4.75%
Sulfur 0.070%
Tungsten 13.00%
Manganese 0.30%
Cobalt 10.00%
Silicon 0.25%
Vanadium 6.00%

As metallurgical advances continue to yield steels that offer higher and higher levels of performance, you can count on Spyderco to make these materials available to you in our world-class knives. We remain committed to making our best even better. Spyderco anticipates using each one of these steels in our Mule Team series in 2015.
Also a great Q&A with Michael Burch. Thanks Sal and crew for another interesting read this month.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Re: December Spyderco Byte . . New Steels on the horizon!

Post by The Deacon »

Am sure it's good news for those who want to try new exotic steels. As for me, I saw Damasteel and got excited for a second, but it sounds like Spyderco will just be using RWL34 by itself, rather than any of Damasteel's RWL34/PMC27 damascus patterns. :(
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Deacon wrote:Am sure it's good news for those who want to try new exotic steels. As for me, I saw Damasteel and got excited for a second, but it sounds like Spyderco will just be using RWL34 by itself, rather than any of Damasteel's RWL34/PMC27 damascus patterns. :(
I jumped to the same initial incorrect assumption, then I read it twice and I knew you would be disappointed Paul.
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mules, I suppose...
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

wrdwrght wrote:Mules, I suppose...
Possible, but we have experienced new steels in production pieces before the steel came out in the Mule. It could be either or both.
*Landon*
quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

Definitely a worthwhile issue. Lots of good information as always.

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I am excited about RWL-34 and CPM 20CV. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The Deacon wrote:Am sure it's good news for those who want to try new exotic steels. As for me, I saw Damasteel and got excited for a second, but it sounds like Spyderco will just be using RWL34 by itself, rather than any of Damasteel's RWL34/PMC27 damascus patterns. :(
I was also super excited when I first read it, but on my second read came to the same conclusion as you Paul.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I got the email. No Hap40 (yet for next year?) for my Japanese models though?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

FCM415 wrote:I got the email. No Hap40 (yet for next year?) for my Japanese models though?
It is always possible Sal will surprise us. The "byte" is just that and he leaves the rest of the "meal" to be revealed later.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

FCM415 wrote:I got the email. No Hap40 (yet for next year?) for my Japanese models though?
I hear you there Brother>> because it's made me wonder a lot when they were ever going to use something besides VG-10 for their mainline Japan models. With all the new Carpenter & Crucible steels here in the USA you just know deep down that Japan has some new stuff as well.

But hey I have nothing at all against VG-10 because for the most part it's my "go-to" blade steel and I use my VG-10 Spyders a lot>> no complaints at all in that regard but you would think they would be wanting to jazz up the Japan line up with something new.

I'm just hoping that Spyderco comes through with some of their new Sharpening Equipment like the Gauntlet and hopefully bring back the 701 Profiles in 4 grits. Because with new steels we need a good set of sharpening tools.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Looking at the compositions of the first three, they all look kind of familiar.

CTS-B70P looks similar to S30V, with a fourth as much Vanadium and some minor differences in the trace alloying elements.
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0" target="_blank

CPM 20CV is M390 is CTS-204P (I'm really excited to see this; more M390 is always a good thing).

And RWL-34 is a powder steel in the 154CM/ATS-34/CPM154 family? Though with the "Damasteel" designation, does that just mean that Damasteel is who Spyderco plans to buy it from, not that we should expect any kind of damascus?

Maxamet is insane with that much Tungsten and Cobalt; I guess Rex 121 looks a little similar but neither one is at all familiar to me.

Either way, excited to see some new stuff, especially if some of it is more American M390! :D
LC Kid

Spyderco Rules!!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I saw the byte on my mailbox today, and certainly got really excited about the new steels announcement. :spyder:

- Had used RWL-34 many times before, is a well & highly rated cutlery steel in Europe, mainly used by Custom makers. I really like it. :)

- Maxamet is the **** of a good edge retention steel. Awesome for hard use fixed blades.

- But the best one, at least for me, is the CPM 20CV. Easily the best version around in the M390/CTS-204P league. :cool:

Plain & Simple: Spyderco Rules!! :D
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Skywalker wrote:Looking at the compositions of the first three, they all look kind of familiar.

CTS-B70P looks similar to S30V, with a fourth as much Vanadium and some minor differences in the trace alloying elements.

CPM 20CV is M390 is CTS-204P (I'm really excited to see this; more M390 is always a good thing).

And RWL-34 is a powder steel in the 154CM/ATS-34/CPM154 family? Though with the "Damasteel" designation, does that just mean that Damasteel is who Spyderco plans to buy it from, not that we should expect any kind of damascus?

Maxamet is insane with that much Tungsten and Cobalt; I guess Rex 121 looks a little similar but neither one is at all familiar to me.

Either way, excited to see some new stuff, especially if some of it is more American M390! :D
Yep, RWL-34 is basically CPM 154, can't wait for that one. :D

CPM 20CV is more M390/204P so very pleased to see that coming also.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Nice!!! Thats good news, I'm looking forward to more 20CV and certainly to the Damasteel. I already have some customs in Damasteel and it would be nice to add a Spyderco to this series :)

Damasteel Bjorkmans Twist

Damasteel Rosendamast

GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

It will be nice to experience RWL-34 in real world use. It is a very popular steel for high-end custom makers. I have some RWL-34 in this custom by Kressler.

20CV should be good; as others have said, more M390/204P/20CV is always better. But Sal, why no Hap40?

My RWL-34 example:

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

B70 looks like S30V with 3/4th of it's vanadium gone and no replacement for them. Good clean steel. Should have a strong edge and good stability for a stainless with the carbon of D2 almost. 2% moly and 1 % Vanadium will make it no slouch compared to 440C as far as wear resistance but not up to S30V much less some of the super steels the guys are used to. Just guessing though. :)

I've wanted to try this in a knife for a while.

joe
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

A run of the Vallotton in CPM 20CV would be awesome, the emphasis on "shiny" sounds appropriate.

Also, I can't wait to pick up some Maxamet. My vote is for that to go on a Phil Wilson collaboration.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Very curious what the steels will be used on.

20V mule would be sweet. Maybe a Millie? Come on Sal you know you want to.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Very curious what the steels will be used on.

20V mule would be sweet. Maybe a Millie? Come on Sal you know you want to.

RWL-34 at 62 would be really nice in a Military I think.

http://www.tigheknives.com/pdf/rwl34-datasheet.pdf" target="_blank