Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gijoe945

Re: Any love for the Kiwi 4?

Post by gijoe945 »

I love my Kiwi4 as a using knife while my others are collectables for me. Perefect size for apples, steak, cheese and trimming rose bushes.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I picked one up at the outlet sale and have been carrying it since. Nice slim package, good ergos, lightweight, pointy tip, wire clip- lots of things to love about it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I succumbed....

Just look at those lines... It really is a great design by Sal. I'm also impressed with it's dexterity in hand, and moderate size for the blade length.
Attachments
image.jpg
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's the nicest shot of the Kiwi 4 I've seen.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

A proposal for the Spydercrew. How about a zdp/cf version next and a super blue to follow as a sprint!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Just got one yesterday for my birthday! I like the F&F a lot. Only complaint is the blade shape, it's not the "Kiwi" warncliff.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ohcyclist wrote:A proposal for the Spydercrew. How about a zdp/cf version next and a super blue to follow as a sprint!
I would support either of these options. I really hope sales of this thing are significant enough (or Sal just wants one bad enough) that both of these combos come to fruition. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

ohcyclist wrote:A proposal for the Spydercrew. How about a zdp/cf version next and a super blue to follow as a sprint!
I'd sooner see a solid SuperBlue blade with grey G10 handles.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

I would prefer the Super Blue as well. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
I'd sooner see a solid SuperBlue blade with grey G10 handles.
Well, if Spyderco's past offering from Moki are any indicator, then it will be solid if it's Super Blue and laminated if it's ZDP-189.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I really like the lines of this, both open and closed. Will probably get one eventually, though I will probably look into changing the scales for something like wood or maybe a nice polished Micarta. I would probably lean toward an office/gentleman's knife use for this, though admittedly the earlier bolstered Kiwis are more handsome out of box (and I've always loved Paul's engraved Kiwi 2).
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The pinned construction will make aftermarket scales a lot harder to do, though not impossible.

---> Branden
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Cool looking knife...one on my list toget at some point...but Not a Kiwi IMO...
On the hunt for...
araneae

Post by araneae »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Cool looking knife...one on my list toget at some point...but Not a Kiwi IMO...
Its's all Kiwi when you hold it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

araneae wrote:
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Cool looking knife...one on my list toget at some point...but Not a Kiwi IMO...

Yeah, I'm shocked at how many people are upset about the blade shape. I wouldn't mind if it had the old blade profile, but there's nothing wrong with it the way it is and it wouldn't be hard to mod if one cared that much.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Evil D wrote:
araneae wrote:

Yeah, I'm shocked at how many people are upset about the blade shape. I wouldn't mind if it had the old blade profile, but there's nothing wrong with it the way it is and it wouldn't be hard to mod if one cared that much.
I remember when we were discussing the design for the shape of the blade here with Sal. The forum had a lot of input on the process as far as features like blade profile, grind, pocket clip, etc. I liked the older shape at the time, I think I may have made the poll thread, but most people seemed to want the current shape. Regardless of looks (I think it looks nice), it is a great little folder. Build-wise it is very reminiscent of the Caly 3. The Wharnie blade and FFG make it a nice package opener. It's super slim and lightweight, but has enough blade for apple slicing. It's a very nice folder.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I prefer the blade shape to the old version, and it would be easy enough to change if desired. The side profile of it while closed is much better as it is over the old version (In my opinion), and the FFG is definitely a nice touch also in a knife like this. I just wish they went with 2mm stock instead of 2.5mm. A 1.5mm solid SuperBlue blade and grey G10 scales would be utterly epic in this platform, especially since it's not a hard use style of knife.

---> Branden
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Yeah, I guess that's my biggest hold up, it's not nearly as slicey as I'd hoped, mine is rather thick behind the edge.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Mine has a small bevel, and is quite thin behind the edge. I just find myself still wanting thinner stock.

---> Branden
bearfacedkiller

Different scales and thinner stock would be super. That is probably all I would change myself. The current blade profile makes the knife very sleek when closed and it rides in a pocket so unbelievably unobtrusive.

2mm stock would be great in this platform.
-Darby