Post your seconds sale pickups!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Post your seconds sale pickups!

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So...An hour ago Bento Box Shop posted factory second Blue M390 PM2's. I don't know how many they had for sale but they appear to be sold out already. They were going for $185. Seems kinda high compared to the sale at the Spyderco store lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So...An hour ago Bento Box Shop posted factory second Blue M390 PM2's. I don't know how many they had for sale but they appear to be sold out already. They were going for $185. Seems kinda high compared to the sale at the Spyderco store lol.
A couple years ago i bought 2 BNIB M390 para2s from them for $179 each and i thought that was high haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Holland wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:So...An hour ago Bento Box Shop posted factory second Blue M390 PM2's. I don't know how many they had for sale but they appear to be sold out already. They were going for $185. Seems kinda high compared to the sale at the Spyderco store lol.
A couple years ago i bought 2 BNIB M390 para2s from them for $179 each and i thought that was high haha
They're charging more for seconds? Hahaha
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

You should see what the factory seconds go for on blade forums. Sort of sickens me knowing how little was paid for them, but clearly people are willing to pay what the market will bear.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

adancingmonkey wrote:You should see what the factory seconds go for on blade forums. Sort of sickens me knowing how little was paid for them, but clearly people are willing to pay what the market will bear.
Yeah saw a guy selling 204P PM2's for $160 :eek:
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

adancingmonkey wrote:You should see what the factory seconds go for on blade forums. Sort of sickens me knowing how little was paid for them, but clearly people are willing to pay what the market will bear.
I saw a guy selling his S90V PM2 factory second for $400! I think it probably cost him $80-$100. Crazy.

@liquid_cobra
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

If it is plain S90V (not the composite), then it was indeed $80. That's a $320 mark up! Has anyone bought it?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I saw a guy selling his S90V PM2 factory second for $400! I think it probably cost him $80-$100. Crazy.
When said that way, perhaps. Didn't a non-second go for over $1k on the bay at one point? When viewed that way a 60% discount is actually pretty good for a second. Also, that person physically had to travel to the SFO on a specific day, so the cost of acquiring the PM2 was actually more than $80. Spydercos are collectible, and this happens in any segment where something is limited and of high quality or high perceived value: people spend time to profit from the scarcity.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Of course it's instructive to go back and see if these things actually sell at those prices. I've seen so many things relisted over and over I've come up with the paranoid theory that some people keep a few things listed high to make them seem more valuable and encourage people to buy the cheaper ones they're actually selling.

Also I think a few of the higher priced items are aimed at people in exotic locations and being sold by people who will ship almost anywhere in the world.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

DougC-3 wrote:Of course it's instructive to go back and see if these things actually sell at those prices. I've seen so many things relisted over and over I've come up with the paranoid theory that some people keep a few things listed high to make them seem more valuable and encourage people to buy the cheaper ones they're actually selling.

Also I think a few of the higher priced items are aimed at people in exotic locations and being sold by people who will ship almost anywhere in the world.
Only 2 knives left

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ctory-2nds
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Lebowski22

Post by Lebowski22 »

I will submit that some of those blades are Grail level folders for some.

While the asking price may be high, the cost of travel and hotel fees is most likely greater than the difference between the price at the sale the the secondary market price.

Though after seeing the prices paid at the sale for some of these, I may have to make the road trip next year to get some blades for my own use.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Johnnie1801 wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:Of course it's instructive to go back and see if these things actually sell at those prices. I've seen so many things relisted over and over I've come up with the paranoid theory that some people keep a few things listed high to make them seem more valuable and encourage people to buy the cheaper ones they're actually selling.

Only 2 knives left

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ctory-2nds
Yikes, with those lousey grinds, they'll need to be reprofiled too. With my "paranoid theory," I was really thinking of high priced ebay items (mentioned by tvenuto) being relisted after failing to sell. But Idid see some seconds on ebay selling at or near current street prices of new stuff, admittedly the low end of street prices, which is all I would ever pay.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
animportant

Post by animportant »

I might be ok re profiling to save about $100.. I'm seeing 204p going on the bay for almost $300 that's insane!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

animportant wrote:I might be ok re profiling to save about $100.. I'm seeing 204p going on the bay for almost $300 that's insane!
Right. Some people do it routinely straight out of the box (you may be one of them) and I may join their ranks when I get a little more proficient ;)
animportant

Post by animportant »

Nope, I'm a sharpening noob, and 204p might not be the best first profiling job to take on. Any suggestions from more experienced forum members on whether picking this up is a good idea?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

animportant wrote:Nope, I'm a sharpening noob, and 204p might not be the best first profiling job to take on. Any suggestions from more experienced forum members on whether picking this up is a good idea?
While we're waiting on more experienced ones to come along, I'd say, if the profiling job is the only concern and you're OK with the price, you could get it and just use it without profiling until you've picked up some profiling experience on a couple of cheaper knives. So far my only profiling experience is with the Sharpmaker with some 320 and 400 grit silicon carbide stones rubberbanded on :D (I don't have the SM diamond or CBN rods yet). It wasn't too difficult. I plan to try the Edge Pro soon.
animportant

Post by animportant »

If I had an edge pro or wicked edge I wouldn't hesitate. I like the sharpmaker and for the money it can't be beat for sharpening, but profiling would be another story.
PcT

Post by PcT »

Where's the best place to find out about upcoming seconds sales? I'd try to come over from the UK, even though it'd cost a fortune!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Right here on the forum. They only happen in November and they don't always happen every year. If there is gonna be one this year it will be announced here though. It was also in the Spyderbyte newsletter so consider signing up for that if you haven't already. It is pretty cool.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

PcT wrote:Where's the best place to find out about upcoming seconds sales? I'd try to come over from the UK, even though it'd cost a fortune!
This forum would be the best place to check, but as I understand it, it may take a couple more years for enough seconds to accumulate to warrant the next sale.

Edit: You beat me to the punch, Darby :)