What are the "hard-use" spyderco FOLDERS?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dogrunner

What are the "hard-use" spyderco FOLDERS?

Post by dogrunner »

Everyone has a different conception of what "hard-use" means. For some, seeing if it can survive Ankerson's testing :). For me, it means a folder you can use for cutting material where a substantial amount of force might be applied. I do not mean chopping - that is for axes or fixed blades ;) Material might include hardwood, some flooring material, thick dense rubber horse-stall mats, heavy vines, etc, or where hard contact might be incidental to what you were doing but you want the knife to be able to survive ok (fencing wire, rocks, bones, etc). You want a sturdy handle, pivot, and lock and a blade that can take the stress, including tip and edge.
This question is something I have been thinking about and then spurred by Cliff's review of the K2, but also by spyderco's creation of the Schempp Tuff. I usually think of spydercos as prioritizing cutting/slicing performance over brute toughness, but got to thinking what besides the Tuff that spyderco currently makes might be considered a "hard-use" folder.
Not a Bradley Air :) Definitely not the chaparral (too thin). I love both of those and my Delicas, but they are not "hard-use."

I know most blades are tougher than most cutting chores, but still, surely some can be described as particularly rugged/hard use?
So which are? These are the ones I have or think might be based on descriptions:

really robust
Schempp Tuff (a rare 3V folder)
Bradley (M4)
Lionspy (don't have one) ??
Southard
Techno (just got one of these - short thick blade is pretty stout, short limits leverage-accentuated force, short handle probably limits how much you can lean on it)

moderately robust
I love the PM2 but the blade has such a pronounced distal taper and fine point. I use mine a lot and have leaned on it sometimes, but would not want to bet on it in a really hard use situation.
Manix2 - same thing

What would you put in the really tough category?
Fancier

Re: What are the "hard-use" spyderco FOLDERS?

Post by Fancier »

If you include the Bradley folder you might as well include the Vallotton since it also has a liner lock and has a thicker blade.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

knives can be reassigned too. This was a kind of starting point. I have not used the Bradley a ton, but M4 is supposed to be pretty tough stuff.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

You said Tuff a few times... :)

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Brock O Lee wrote:You said Tuff a few times... :)
]
Kind of sets the standard doesn't it? At least for spyderco. Awesome knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've used dozens of Spyderco blades over the years>> fixed blades and folders alike and I must say that I have full confidence in just about every Spyderco knife I've ever used. Most of the time I've had the confidence that I had a quality tool in my hand and was not really concerned about the endurance because for the most part I just instinctively knew it was there.

Now I will admit that I've not put many of my knives through what I would define as a "torture test". But in 2008-2009 I had a job with an automotive modification shop that did all kinds of installments and modifications for a lot of new cars/trucks and commercial vehicles.

There was a time when I was face with a couple of super demanding jobs which required me to use a knife for a lot of the modifications I had to do. At the time I was willing to sacrifice one of my Spyders because I had really thought that one job in particular was going to destroy at least 2 or 3 knives. I went to my footlocker to select a Spyder to use and found a slightly used 440V, Spyderedged NATIVE model.>> yeah one of the Golden, Colorado USA EArth made models.

Much to my most pleasant surprise not only did the Native survive the job it actually went through it with little overall damage. There was more damage to the edge and scratches on the blade than anything else. I was blown away at how tough the FRN handle was and how superior the 440V blade was. The Spyderedged 440V blade cut through a lot of tough materials like a chainsaw. Even other guys at work marveled at how great the Spyderco blade did.

I've also had tough jobs that I used a VG-10 SE Spyderhawk model and a full Spyderedged Endura model and both of those knives held up great. The funny thing about all of these knives is that I truly think Spyderco has a few blades that are even tougher than the ones I mentioned. And believe me I did put the aforementioned Spyderco knives through some very hard use.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

This Tatanka seems to be around the corner... maybe the new toughest guy in the town?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

nirvanero wrote:This Tatanka seems to be around the corner... maybe the new toughest guy in the town?
I tend to agree completely. Call me crazy, but frame-locks don't seem to actually stand up to "hard use" all that well. Definitely not as well as the BBL on the Manix or something like the compression lock or stop-lock or axis-lock. That said, the current toughest folders in Spyderco's lineup would have to be the Tatanka and the Manix XL IMHO.

*EDIT* Stop-lock= I me power-lock
Last edited by Strong-Dog on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi dogrunner!

I understand a Hard-Use Folder as something that you can truly abuse when cutting some seriously strong material without any concerns that it would possibly fail on you. :cool:

So considering that I'd say the only two out of your list that 100% qualify are the Tuff and the Techno. After those I'd think about the LionSpy and the Gayle Bradley, maybe at some 75%.

I wouldn't include the Southard on that list. The whole 'Internal Stop Pin' design certainly takes away a lot of material thus significantly weakening the whole pivot area.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

dogrunner wrote: moderately robust
I love the PM2 but the blade has such a pronounced distal taper and fine point. I use mine a lot and have leaned on it sometimes, but would not want to bet on it in a really hard use situation.
Manix2 - same thing
I am curious why you would put Manix2s in the same category as PM2s? I have a couple of hollow-grind Manix2s that have a substantially more pronounced tip than my PM2s.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

JD Spydo - the other knife I have, but that is no longer produced is the Lil Temp in 440V. That is a stout knife too and definitely qualifies IMO as a hard use knife.

LC Kid - I did not know the details of the Southard, I was going by blade construction mostly, thickish and that thickness carries to the tip.

FEF - Yeah I think the Manix2 probably has more substance than the PM2, definitely by blade width if not thickness. I wasn't trying to rank them because I don't know how to do that without some sort of testing, so these were just broad categories. Both ended up there because they were not in the top category. FWIW, the tip of the PM2 may not maximize b;ade strength, but I have used it a lot for drilling in wood, plastic, nylon webbing (twisting maybe not so good for the edge, but if you want a round hole and your knife is the only way to start one, you use the tool you have!)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

If you are considering all Spyderco models, I would add to your list the following:

Chinook
Original Manix
Mini Manix
Lil Temp

but based on the current available models, the Tuff stands head and shoulders above the rest, IMHO.

The Manix 2, Military and Yojimbo 2 also fill the heavy duty category for my uses.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, just to mix it up, I'm going to throw in the Tusk. I got one last month and have used it pretty hard Since it arrived. The knife is extremely solid. Big solid ti handle and short blade with a fairly thick and low hollow ground blade. It's definitely not a slicer but every time I use it I can't help but feel that it is well qualified for the "hard use" category. I don't have any information on how tough lc200n is but it has performed great in other regards and I have had no issues with the work I've put it through. And on top of it all, it comes with a built in prybar (marlinspike). :)
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

No mention of the Superleaf yet, so I'll just throw that out there. G10, compression lock, robust tip, and 4mm thick blade stock to boot! VG10 is a perfectly serviceable steel for my use, so I'm more than happy with it.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I have 4 out of the 5 listed in OP's tough list (Lionspy is calling but balking at price), and the Tuff feels like it should be in it's own category. GB and Manix 2 XL mentioned earlier can be made to flex with a lot of side to side pressure, something I can do with every folder except the Tuff (not that I should unless I did not have a prybar available). Emersons, ZT, BM included, this feels the closest thing to fixed blade I have (out of about 40 knives), just have to be careful not to place enough pressure on lock to have accidental unlocking.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Here is my list:

1. The original Manix - my favorite go-to knife for hard chores. Nothing fancy about it but it's stout and allows me to gain good leverage without feeling like it's going to fall apart. Many of you have probably not been able to handle this model, as it has been discontinued for awhile, but it's a classic.

2. The Tuff - it's not my favorite, but it's a beast. There are elements that I like and some things that I don't. Call it what you will, but don't call it a weakling. One of the rare Ed Schempp designs that did not thrill me.

3. The Chinook - much like the original Manix with a different blade and handle shape. Stout around the pivot.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

These sorts of conversations imply that many or most Spydercos are not as tough as a "really tough" knife.

Looking at the year-after-year wear I put on my knife, would you say that's not hard use?

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... 93#p974193" target="_blank

I'll bet you I've put more stress on my 7-year-old Caly 3 than you ever will on your Tuff. If I'm wrong, you can tell me so in seven years.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bolster wrote:These sorts of conversations imply that many or most Spydercos are not as tough as a "really tough" knife.

Looking at the year-after-year wear I put on my knife, would you say that's not hard use?

I'll bet you I've put more stress on my 7-year-old Caly 3 than you ever will on your Tuff. If I'm wrong, you can tell me so in seven years.
For the win. ^

Edit: I still want a Tuff though. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Surfingringo on Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christopher

Post by christopher »

I pretty much agree with restivo. My favorites are the original Manix (C95), the Bradley (CF134CF), or my new Yojimbo2 (CF85GP2). The last is new and I am very pleased with Its wharncliffe edge and compression lock. Excellent for heavy duty carving as well as the other tasks mentioned.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bolster wrote:These sorts of conversations imply that many or most Spydercos are not as tough as a "really tough" knife.

Not to argue with your strong response, because I do agree with this point about many Spydercos (and all knives), however I think the OP is speaking to use that borders on abuse. Many of the uses we put our knives through is well within acceptable standards and definitions for most users, makers, etc. but some use exceeds that and I think the knives listed above are the most apt to withstand said abuse / use. I know my beloved Tuff will not have seen the constant pocket time that your Caly has, but perhaps in 20 years I will be able to report back to you. This is my Tuff after a recent camping trip where I used (tested) it to split firewood. I agree 100% that this use constitutes gross stress on the knife's / lock's capabilities however I needed to know where it's limits were. The knife escaped with little more than wear marks from the baton.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*