Keeping down the numbers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knutty

Re: Keeping down the numbers

Post by Knutty »

I want to sell a few of my Spyderco knives. What is a good way to do this? I've sold stuff on Amazon before, but I'd rather sell on a knife forum, where people know what they're buying. I won't pay to join a forum just to sell, though.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Knutty wrote: I won't pay to join a forum just to sell, though.
Well then pay to support the forum and THEN sell. Would you rather pay fleabay fees? I've sold a few on blade forums and it's nice to know that your knife is going to someone who will use and enjoy it. I'm happy to support those who keep awesome forums running, whether it's by paying a small fee, or buying excessive numbers of knives.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Knutty wrote:I want to sell a few of my Spyderco knives. What is a good way to do this? I've sold stuff on Amazon before, but I'd rather sell on a knife forum, where people know what they're buying. I won't pay to join a forum just to sell, though.
I've sold and traded a few times on BF and it's been great. If I'm trading a knife friends say "don't send your knife until you get the one from the other guy". While I understood and completely understand this reasoning I went ahead and mailed my knife. The other folks have mailed their's also. They crossed in the mail and we were both happy. This has worked 2 or 3 times using BF. I could get into a trade or sale where I get ripped off or something is lost in the mail, etc. If this happens there is no way I know of to get reimbursed. Just a risk of the method. I had nothing but great results and I hope the people I traded with feel the same. The other thing I've done is use eBay. Of course I hate paying the fees but for me, a person with few options for selling a knife, ebay has been great. I'm not selling a knife for profit. I'm usually selling it because I don't use it and I'll use the $ from one sale to help fund another knife, sharpening stone, etc. What I feel my fees pay for is the guarantee of not loosing money. eBay has protection policies for the buyer's and seller's both. I've never sold anything on BF so I didn't join either. Nothing wrong with paying though to help the forum fund itself. I get the feeling and this is not a bad feeling, that BF needs funding. I assume the Spyderco forum is funded by Spyderco. Not as a direct money maker. More of a customer related service to spread the Spyderco name and products. Of course that leads to profit. I know this because of all the Spyderco's I've bought after getting excited about a knife that several people have and praise. :)
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I've actually used Instagram quite a bit lately to trade and sell and haven't had any issues. Also used USN. I've used the 'bay in the past but those fees are definitely a pain in the arse...
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

I've picked up my orange manix and my forum native off of blade forums. I think the fact that you have to pay to sell means that the person is serious about participating in thr forum. You're less likely to be ripped off by someone who has to pay for the privilege of posting the item for sale. Just my two cents. As a buyer just do some research into who you're buying from. Like previous feedback and posting history on the forums