Will the K390 Military be a BBS exclusive too?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Will the K390 Military be a BBS exclusive too?

Post by FCM415 »

Any way for us to know how many more knives in the future they will get? I'm really looking forward to the K390 Military... If I can know now that it will be a BBS exclusive, I can move on and perhaps push other knifemakers to use K390.

Did BBS strike some sort of exclusivity deal to get the majority of limited releases? Or are they the only ones stepping up to order them? Either way, BBS and their antics IS NOT WHAT I THOUGHT SPYDERCO IS ALL ABOUT and while other brands do not have Spyderco's integrity, I am seriously starting to appreciate how other brands do not have a BBS type as an exclusive dealer.

Who knows, for you guys who dont mind bundles, maybe they'll bundle the S90v Millie that never sold with the K390.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think you may be right. Not that money is the driving force behind Spyderco, but money makes a business run and grow. If BBS is one of the few stepping up with interest and capital to do these exclusives, it wouldn't be smart for Sal to just refuse. Their practices are unorthodox for sure, but not unethical. I am sure Sal has a line in the sand that would prevent him from supporting shady businesses.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FCM415 wrote:Any way for us to know how many more knives in the future they will get? I'm really looking forward to the K390 Military... If I can know now that it will be a BBS exclusive, I can move on and perhaps push other knifemakers to use K390.

Did BBS strike some sort of exclusivity deal to get the majority of limited releases? Or are they the only ones stepping up to order them? Either way, BBS and their antics IS NOT WHAT I THOUGHT SPYDERCO IS ALL ABOUT and while other brands do not have Spyderco's integrity, I am seriously starting to appreciate how other brands do not have a BBS type as an exclusive dealer.

Who knows, for you guys who dont mind bundles, maybe they'll bundle the S90v Millie that never sold with the K390.
I thiink "commissioning"is a more accurate term where Exculsives are concerned. That is to say, whoever commissions the Exclusive specifies the model and materials and pays Spyderco to make tit, rather simply buying the entire lot of something Spyderco is going to produce anyway. Whoever owns BBS must have deep pockets to commission as many as they do, but that's all.

I'd say that if Sal or someone else from Spyderco has said there will be a K390 Military, then it will be a Sprint, not an Exclusive for BBS or anyone else, since Exclusives are generally not announced by Spyderco.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I do like foliage green G10 but Im not **** bent on ELMAX so this will be easier for me to pass up than the K390 Millie. Hope it is a sprint.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

FCM415 wrote:Any way for us to know how many more knives in the future they will get? I'm really looking forward to the K390 Military... If I can know now that it will be a BBS exclusive, I can move on and perhaps push other knifemakers to use K390.

We already have two threads going bashing BBS, why did we need to start a third and fourth?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:We already have two threads going bashing BBS, why did we need to start a third and fourth?
Because I have questions and I simply wanted to. Why not answer them instead of asking why.
-Leonard Nimoy
bearfacedkiller

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. They are just getting hard to follow.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I'm just for discussion's sake assuming that there will be more BBS exclusives of the most popular models moving forward since practically all of them are going through BBS now. Sure, simple, dont buy it but...

This particular Elmax one with a absurd bundle requirement is an easy pass. The Blue S90v Millie, not so much...And the K390 Millie I sure hope will be a sprint or someone else's exclusive.
-Leonard Nimoy
bearfacedkiller

I'm just glad that I see my green 204p as superior to this elmax version. I hear what you are saying. If they commission a m4 or k390 para2 I might lose my mind.
-Darby
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

I can't see Sal being unable to produce a k390 mili without BBS funds, and wish he'd make it a sprint, or even better get it in the 2015 production lineup. And if he can't and really nned BBS funding to make it happen, well we wouldn't be getting it without BBS anyway, so pass your way so this business you don't like goes bankruptcy.
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Donut

Post by Donut »

It seems like Bento gets their sprint ideas from the forums.

I won't be surprised if they are the ones who produce it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sounds to me like we have the answer to the next forum knife? Military K390
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Tried to find a thread other than this one referencing a K390 Military, but I had no luck. Is this something that's actually known to be in the works, or just someone's wet dream?
Paul
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

K, I'll find it... BRB I'll edit it in.

Sal discusses it here:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 0+military

Due to the Golden CO backlog, the soonest they can squeeze it in the queue is late 2015. (Which boggles my mind even more that BBS has so many slots and are spaced not far apart). It's pretty much a lock that the first Golden made Spyderco K390 folder is the Military.

In the meantime, Sal advised that Taiwan can produce K390 sooner and asked for opinions on what model should get it.
-Leonard Nimoy
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:Tried to find a thread other than this one referencing a K390 Military, but I had no luck. Is this something that's actually known to be in the works, or just someone's wet dream?
Wet dream is a possibility.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

FCM415 wrote:K, I'll find it... BRB I'll edit it in.

Sal discusses it here:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 0+military

Due to the Golden CO backlog, the soonest they can squeeze it in the queue is late 2015. (Which boggles my mind even more that BBS has so many slots and are spaced not far apart). It's pretty much a lock that the first Golden made Spyderco K390 folder is the Military.

In the meantime, Sal advised that Taiwan can produce K390 sooner and asked for opinions on what model should get it.
He mentioned it, but then we all got into debates about what Taichung model to use because nobody wanted to wait. After that I don't think I ever saw Sal say for sure that a K390 Military was FOR SURE going to happen, even in 2015. I'm sure it will happen someday, but it's a loooong way off.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Well it's the only lead we have for a future Military or any Millie/PM2/Manix limited release for that matter. From what Sal discussed, I believe that a K390 Millie is def in the works. I was in the discussion on that thread, and that's what I got out of it.

Since the specific knife is actually besides the point. How about take it out and insert any possible release you want into the EXACT Discussion. Sheesh.
-Leonard Nimoy
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

There was never a firm confirmation of the K390 Military from Spyderco, we just confirmed amongst ourselves that we really want one and keep begging Sal to make it a reality.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Funny, all I can say is this again.
FCM415 wrote:Well it's the only lead we have for a future Military or any Millie/PM2/Manix limited release for that matter. From what Sal discussed, I believe that a K390 Millie is def in the works. I was in the discussion on that thread, and that's what I got out of it.
Possibility is very high. A lot higher than a wet dream. They just made a Mule...People were happy with said Mule...A thread was started requesting for the first K390 folder with MILITARY as part of the title...Sal participates in the discussion... Sal discussed it with his managers...Sal gave a date/timeframe...Not a promise or guarantee but whatever focus on that if you all want.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:There was never a firm confirmation of the K390 Military from Spyderco, we just confirmed amongst ourselves that we really want one and keep begging Sal to make it a reality.
Looks that way. Also looks as if "we" only want it to become a reality if Sal, or someone we approve of, foots the bill. Personally, unless it's left handed, or the 2015 Spyderco Forum Knife I don't care. OTOH, if it was a run of bolster & scales Stretches or Kiwis in Odin's Eye Damasteel, I'd be in for one even if Al Quaida, PETA, the DNC, or even BBS, was funding it. :o
Paul