Delica 4 ffg vs chaparral 1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alpacalypse007

Delica 4 ffg vs chaparral 1

Post by Alpacalypse007 »

I am trying to pick between the delica and chaparral. What are the pros and cons of each and if the chaparral is worth the extra pennies for EDC use. I know these are fairly different knives so any help is appreciated.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Love both knives, but for EDC the chaparral takes it by a landslide. Deeper carry, thinner blade, more comfortable in hand (for me at least and i have larger hands), better fit and finish and higher wear resistant steel. The fit and finish combined with the internal stop pin make it worth the extra cost alone in my opinion :D

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forum btw ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Alpacalypse007

Post by Alpacalypse007 »

Thanks for the help
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

Here's some side by side pics for size.

For everyday general purpose, I'd go for a Delica. If you're more of an office type, the Chaparral for sure.

The finger choil on the Chaparral is nice if you like them.

Delicas come in more colors. I personally really like the Carbon Fiber.

Why not just get both?
Alpacalypse007

Post by Alpacalypse007 »

I wish I could but I have limited funds for toys
Holland

Post by Holland »

Beat me to it Aquaman

-Spencer

Rotation:
FDE

Post by FDE »

Pic request:
Could we get a top view (spine and handle thickness) of the Dragonfly, Delica, and Chaparral with blades open?
Pretty please?!?
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Holland

Post by Holland »

the dragonfly looks thinner than the delica from the swedge, but im pretty sure they are both 2.5 mm. the chaparral is 2 mm on the other hand
-Spencer

Rotation:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you value in a knife. The Delica is slightly larger and bulkier, which either translates to "more hand filling" or "takes up more pocket space". The Delica has a .5 mm thicker blade, which can be seen as making it more robust, or making it a less efficient slicer. Delica has a 4 way clip, so it allows tip down carry but puts holes on all four corners of the knife, while Chaparral's wire clip either offers more discrete carry or makes retrieving it more difficult. Delica costs less, Chaparral offers a more elegant appearance. Personally, I'd rate the CF Chaparral as one of the 5 best models Spyderco has ever made and I'd take it over the Delica any day but, as with most things in life, YMMV.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I've owned both in the past and if I had to pick one today I would go with the Chaparral. It carries better due to the smaller size and deep carry clip, the ergos are better with the front finger choil, and the steel is really nice too.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I agree with those who favor Chaparral but what do think about its ability to stand moderately, not extremely, hard use over time? Sorry I can't give good examples of what, in my mind, constitutes "moderately hard". Perhaps just a bit harder than light-duty occasional use. Maybe something more than cutting an apple-how about cutting 1/2" diameter twigs from small hardwood trees? Thanks!
Holland

Post by Holland »

buckthorn wrote:I agree with those who favor Chaparral but what do think about its ability to stand moderately, not extremely, hard use over time? Sorry I can't give good examples of what, in my mind, constitutes "moderately hard". Perhaps just a bit harder than light-duty occasional use. Maybe something more than cutting an apple-how about cutting 1/2" diameter twigs from small hardwood trees? Thanks!
I used my chaparral 2 all summer for construction and it held up great. I would say it would perform fine
-Spencer

Rotation:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! Thats a TUFF choice!! BUT.... I find that I pocket the Delica more than Chaparral for some reason??? HMMMM!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

buckthorn wrote:I agree with those who favor Chaparral but what do think about its ability to stand moderately, not extremely, hard use over time? Sorry I can't give good examples of what, in my mind, constitutes "moderately hard". Perhaps just a bit harder than light-duty occasional use. Maybe something more than cutting an apple-how about cutting 1/2" diameter twigs from small hardwood trees? Thanks!
Sal sent me a "pilot run" CF Chaparral a few months before they hit the streets. As it turned out, it arrived shortly before I started packing to move from NY to SC. Figured I'd give it a good test drive, so I used it as my go-to knife for packing. Cut everything from tape and bubble wrap to some very thick tri-wall corrugated cardboard, including some circles to protect the face of a clock and a whole lot of straight cut pieces to protect my 3 glass curio cabinets. Have used it quite a bit in the three years since then as well, and it's still as solid as the day it arrived.
Paul
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I can't get a solid four finger grip on the Chaparral without using the choil - and I have small/medium hands. So I prefer the Delica.
I do generally prefer Taichung-made Spydercos and the Chaparral has the top notch F&F that they're known for. I was buying each version of the Chaparral for my girlfriend. Fit her perfectly.
Holland

Post by Holland »

ABX2011 wrote:I can't get a solid four finger grip on the Chaparral without using the choil - and I have small/medium hands. So I prefer the Delica.
I do generally prefer Taichung-made Spydercos and the Chaparral has the top notch F&F that they're known for. I was buying each version of the Chaparral for my girlfriend. Fit her perfectly.
I thought the chaparral was made to be used as a choil knife... Just my thoughts
-Spencer

Rotation:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Holland wrote:I thought the chaparral was made to be used as a choil knife... Just my thoughts
Guess I have small hands, but it works both ways for me. I do use the Chaparral's choil quite often...

...but I can also get a good solid 4 finger grip on it without using the choil.

Paul
paladin

Post by paladin »

Chaparral is my pick also...

Only positive I can add is that the Chappy choil makes you really feel "locked in..." a BIG plus for me

S30V steel model is great...cts-XHP model is equally nice

Delica is an iconic Spyderco...

Delica is a more comfortable, IMHO, along the backstrap due to it being a bit wider and possessing FRN scales--- very palm friendly.

VG10 is a great stainless steel..."the Japanese gardener's steel."

Delica is more pointy, if important.

in short, you can't go wrong with either model...better yet, go ahead buy both--you will eventually anyways...I speak from experience :rolleyes:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate