3 Spydies you didn't like but ended up loving

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

3 Spydies you didn't like but ended up loving

Post by Evil D »

To do a spin off of glbpro's thread, what are 3 Spydies you had no interest in at all, but either bought on a whim or handled and found that you love them in the end?

For me:

1. Military. Though I don't own one at the moment, I had major issues with that giant handle. I still don't care for how big the handle is for general use, but I do appreciate the extra length when using very thick gloves. I used to work in -20 freezers a lot and wore wool mittens, and the size of the handle made a difference.

If I could change one thing, I would give it the Para 2 treatment and squeeze out another 1/2 inch of blade to fill out the handle more, and that's about it. On a blade this big, I don't even care if it has 4 way clip. I'd just assume leave the handles solid linerless G10.

2. Paramilitary 1/2. The original Para was just as hot as the Para 2 is now, but I didn't see the big deal. I had handled one several times and just didn't get it. Then one day at the knife shop I picked up a Para 1, and it just clicked. The same thing happened with the Para 2, though I was mostly just biased towards the Para 1, but I eventually came around.

If I could change one thing, I would open up the "rear grip" area at the pinky, or in other words remove the point from the butt of the handle. I have ground down the G10 on my 20CP, which helped a lot.

3. Southard. Everything from the looks to not really buying into the flipper hype kept me from being interested in it. When the all black version was announced, I got a little excited because I did like how it looked. That lead me to buy a standard Southard just to see if I liked it, and it has been my EDC for a couple months now I think. The ergos aren't anything crazy exciting for me, but they work. The steel is great, and the blade to handle ratio is excellent, which is probably my favorite feature. It packs something like 1/8 inch less blade than a Military in a much smaller package, especially when folded up. I also appreciate how it has a lot of belly, but the blade tip is still relatively low in relation to the handle, which makes it easier to use the tip to make cuts (which I do a lot of).

If I could change one thing, it would be to change the internal stop pin over to the style that has the pin in the blade and the cutout in the liners, as opposed to having the cutout in the blade and the pin in the liner. Even if that tang break issue was a one time isolated thing, I believe this change would still make the knife stronger, which is never a bad thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

As I said in glbpro's thread but with a bit more detail
1. Large Lum Chinese : This thing is a slicer! Great ergos (slightly thicker G10 would be better though) and a really nice size for weekend / kitchen use. Not so good with a suit :) . It's big but it is such a pleasure to use. I was picking up Lums made by Spyderco and Benchmade thinking that it was going to be purely for the collection ... it turned out having a very solid spot in my rotation for when I can justify carrying such a big knife.

2. Caly 3.5 : I thought I'd try it given all the good reviews I read and was very pleasantly surprised, mostly by the fact that it is only slightly larger folded than the 3. There are lots of threads singing the 3.5's praises - all of that I can repeat. Also has a very firm spot in my rotation.

3. New Starmate : I always liked the design but was put off by the threads on the unfinished bit on the blade and the rattling lanyard tube. I was one of the guys not understanding the pricing when it was released but eventually I decided to give it a try knowing that I would strip it, fix or remove the lanyard tube and spend some time fixing the blade. Turns out I haven't - it really doesn't bug me. Had I bought one not being prepared for this I would have been really irritated - now I don't even notice these imperfections. Compared to some of the other makers "hard use" knives, the Starmate just works better for me and will get pulled out of the drawer first when I need something with thicker blade stock than I typically carry.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

1. Volpe
I know that knife is a tool, but for me a knife a little more than a tool. It should be attractive. I really didn't like Volpe on any pictures I ever saw it. After they were discontinued I found one at bargain price and bought it. I was stunned by beauty of the knife, when I hold it first time in my hand. The knife is gorgeous. So I bought second as a gift to my friend, who is Italian. he loves it as well.
2. Manix 2 LW black.
I never liked M2. One of my coworker bought one, when they came out and I found the lock too difficult to disengage. Not a fan of hollow grind. Than I handled another one at the knife show with the same result.
Than last May I saw M2 LW on the knife show and out of curiosity decided to handle it. The lock was easy to operate and I like the knife. I ordered black variant and I like it a lot. I owned it for about a week and than gave away to a friend, who is contractor and now has at least one decent knife.
3. Lava. I never liked it until I bought it, also out of curiosity. Small knife, but ergos are fantastic.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Techno, Zulu and Gayle Bradley were 3 that I was pretty sure I would like but surprised me when I like them even more than I thought I would.

Evil D, you might feel the same about the Techno if you ever break down and buy one. It's a surprisingly awesome little knife.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

1. All Spyderco knives :eek:
This was before my enlightenment, when I was looking into slim and sleek and tacticool. The Spydey-hole hump was a turn off, but the fit and finish of the other brands I was looking into at my price range was even more of a downer. So I bit the bullet on a PM2 and boy howdy does the hole make sense in hand. The unconventional leaf shape blade makes sense in hand and in use. The oversized handle makes sense in hand and in use. I recently saw that video profile on Sal and his design philosophy: the knife is the edge; the blade supports the edge; the handle supports the blade. They are truly made to be used.

2. Techno
What is this? This looks so short, fat, stubby, and expensive. Pass.
Why does it keep showing up in reviews?
Hey, that looks quite small in hand with nice ergonomics.
Hey, that edge is huge for a watch-pocket knife.
Hey, this thing is built to last.
Hey, it's not that thick and wide (similar to a PM2).
WAAAAANT.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

1. Poliwog. It just looked strange, and the first one I handled was the Stainless Steel version. Just didin't click with me. Eventually I picked up a G10 version, and now I love it! Comfortable in the hand, and even though it is "tall" it is thin, and fits well in a jeans 5th pocket.

2. Kiwi. The looks just didn't appeal to me at all at first. Maybe as a result of looking at pictures of The Deacon's collection, it started to grow on me. I only have a couple of them, but consider them to be very nice gentleman's folders, very comfortable in the hands.

3. Small Chinese Lum in Nishijin. Bought it on a whim when Howe's put it on sale, and found I *really* like the ergonomics. It's not a self-defense or tactical knife, just practical :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Barong - I found it interesting, but never really saw a situation where I would benefit from the forward blade angle. I was wrong and unfortunately I didn't realize this until they were long discontinued

Kiwi - Never really thought I would have a need for such a petite knife early in my collecting days. Nothing petite about this Moki made beast!

Rescue - My first experience with SE and I wanted to have a straight blade shape to simplify my sharpening technique before I moved to the curved SE models. This thing blew me away. I still only really love the older (long gone) humpback models
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

1. Dodo - I never really liked the look of it until I held it in my hand.
2. Caly 3 - I bought one a long time ago, loved how it looked, didn't like how it handled, shelved it for years... I ended up falling in love with the UKPK platform and all the associated Caly's.
3. Yojimbo 2 - I hated how the Yo 1 looked with the clip and angles. I still have some issues with the Yo 2 for general use, the tip being so close to the end of the handle and the saber grind catching up on things, but overall I love it.

David, I don't think the Para 1 was as popular as you think it was. The street price was $20 higher than the Para 2, it was tip down only. I think a lot of people didn't like it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Just two for me.

Breeden Rescue - butt-ugly, but the ergos are fantastic

Lil Temperance - didn't like the looks until I got my first one four years ago. Excellent ergos, very purposeful design
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

1. Karahawk 2. The Emerson Delica. Not quite loving it yet, but its growing on me. 3. Pacific Salt
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Tenacious was my first Spyderco. I bought it on a whim with leftover Amazon gift card money. It pretty much changed my whole view on what a pocket knife could be.

The Techno was firmly on my "no" list, but slowly grew on me until I bought one just to try it out. It quickly became an all-time favorite, and cuts way way better than I expected from a short, thick blade.

The Junior looked weird and awkward to me, and I didn't like the blade shape at all. But, I gave it a try, and found it to be much more useful than I ever expected. And the blade is an absolute slicing demon. I don't know why, but it just might be the best cutting knife in my whole collection. :eek:
:bug-red-white
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

1. The Dodo - I cringed just looking at pictures of it. I had to see what all the hype was about so I bought one on a whim and now it's one of my favorites.

2. The Stretch - another funny-looking knife, in a bad way. I handled one at a shop and had to have it. I have gotten a bunch of use out of it.

3. Any serrated hawkbill - thought they were ugly and silly - until I got one and now I am digging both the hawkbill shape, and the serrations. They hold a wicked edge for a long time and really to cut certain things better than a straight edge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
David, I don't think the Para 1 was as popular as you think it was. The street price was $20 higher than the Para 2, it was tip down only. I think a lot of people didn't like it.
Could be, I just remember a lot of talk about it when I bought mine. It was one of the knives to own at the time, along with the Caly 3.
~David
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

H1 Ladybug Hawkbill.

I bought and didn't touch it for ages. One day I put it in my pocket and took it to work and realized it'll do almost anything a sharp Delica will. I love it.

Ss Balance
I think lots of people have this reaction. It's a strange little knife but once you use it a few times you'll never want to be without it.

Salt 1

I started taking it fishing, and one day I was cutting up bait on a concrete embankment and I realized that I beat this little knife to **** and it just keeps coming back for more. A quick rinse in the water and back in my vest.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Good idea! Always interesting to explore the reverse of any proposition :)

My three would be, quite surprisingly:

1. Paramilitary 2 - I was not a fan of the compression lock to begin with, feeling that it was a finger-pincher. I also felt that it was 'just' an inverted liner lock, so why bother? It wasn't until I held the knife in hand on three separate occasions for at least 10 minutes continuously that I began to understand what makes this such a great piece.

2. Dragonfly - this knife opened my eyes to the world of Spyderco little big knives. Such amazing utility in a such a small package. This was also my first Seki city G10 knife, and was a great reminder that the Japanese manufacturers are quite capable of turning out stuff as good as the USA or Taiwan plant.

3. Tasman Salt - my introduction to the world of hawkbills! I already knew that I would like the handle because it's the same as on my Salt 1, but I never realised how useful and controllable the hawkbill blade shape is. This is always my 'second knife' if I carry two, and also showed me how easy it is to carry a knife in your back pocket.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

1. Yo2: At first I thought this was too specialized for MBC, kind of like a Pkal, but after holding one at a gun show I was sold on the spot. The handle feels like it was meant for my hands and the blade is sooo smooth. I don't have any issues some report of pinched fingers, just feels good all around. Slightly worried about the tip, but no damage to report to date. Dressed up with some sweet cuscadi scales this blade is like jeckle (sp?) and hyde.

2. Vallotton: I had no interest in this one either till I held one. Something so wonderful about the smooth polished G-10 and handsome bolsters (although I would have loved one without the extra holes) and the blade is both a beast of a chunk of steel but still thin enough with the wicked hybrid tanto point. The liner lock is super smooth and the action and F+F is impeccable. I rarely carry this one except for special occasions but it is my favorite knife to fondle.

3. Southard: I bought mine only because the seller posted it at a ridiculous price on BF (I was trying to sell some of my knives at the time to buy a new surfboard but could not resist the price). So after chiming in with an "ill take it" without a thought I had one on the way. I hated it at first and thought it was too thick of a grind or it bound at the shoulder and the brown was not my style and why are the scales uneven thickness and why a flipper and a spydiehole? But after a sharpening, some rit dye and sandpaper on the scales this is in my top 5, maybe top 3.

Honorable mention: Native CTS-XHP. Bought this one just to try the steel but now I love the blade, shape, even the brown FRN (yea I don't know why after just saying I hated the brown G-10 on the Southard).
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mine would have to be the Yo2, Techno and Vallotton, for similar reasons as others have mentioned. The Yo2 seemed to connect to a whole different set of neurons in my hand and brain when I first held it, the Vallotton is just an amazing piece for many reasons (polished G10, bolsters, tanto, come on!!), and after breaking in the Techno, it also fires some unique neuronal patterns and is a blast to knifesterbate with. David, just get one!

Honorable mentions to the Memory, which blew me away upon opening the pouch, and the Lum Chinese folder which I just got in recently and whose blade reminds me so much of what I love about the feel of the Caly 3.5, and it is quite a beautiful piece.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Revival

Post by Revival »

For me its just 2

Techno - I had no intention of getting this knife. It looked ugly and I had no use for it. After all the positive reviews and watching a lot if videos I decided to get one. The day after receiving the first one, I got another one the next day. Enough said.

Caly 3.5 - I always thought the blade would be too big. I tried the Caly 3 first and immediately wanted to get rid of it because I felt the blade was to short. After waiting a while, I finally got the 3.5 and was blown away on how perfect this knife is. I should have gotten this knife a long time ago.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The PM2 was a knife everyone raved about, but my particular knife was a little gritty and just didn't wow me. I used it sporadically for a year and when I got around to adding some nano-oil to the pivot, I realized what I was missing out on. For me, I use a knife quickly except when at home, so ease of deployment is huge.

The Delica was another must own knife that I picked up and used quite a bit, but I was turned off by the FRN handle for some reason, the sharpness of the spine and hole, and the way the pocket clip looked after a couple of months of use. When I was given a titanium/damascus Delica as a gift I carried it mostly out of respect and sentimental reasons, but eventually really came to love it. The damascus is beautiful, the titanium feels great in hand and is nice and slim, plus the pocket clip is finished better. It fixes the majority of my issues with the knife and really love the format of it now.

The Techno was a knife I bought simply based on reviews. I love titanium framelocks, but for some reason the Sage 2 didn't wow me so I was worried the Techno wouldn't, either. When I got it, I appreciated it's beauty and how it felt in the hand, but worried about it's cutting performance as the CTS XHP steel is thick stock on this particular knife. After EDCing it for some time, it became my absolute favorite knife of any I own. I love everything but the pocket clip. The clip is great for ease of use, but has led to the knife coming out of my pocket on several occasions because of the weak retention. That's a minor quibble. The finish of the titanium hides most marks you'll accumulate and the blade looks and feels amazing with it's polished stonewash. The sound it makes when it opens is even enjoyable, for me. Really hope they make a bigger version of the knife some time and that you all give this knife a chance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote: Evil D, you might feel the same about the Techno if you ever break down and buy one. It's a surprisingly awesome little knife.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote: and after breaking in the Techno, it also fires some unique neuronal patterns and is a blast to knifesterbate with. David, just get one!
Yeah, idk about this one guys. As a rule, whenever I'm at the knife shop, I handle any knife in the display case that I don't own, if for no other reason than to be more familiar with the models that I don't own. This is one of those knives that I'm still not seeing or feeling any appeal for. But, the "handle it every time you see it" method was what broke me on the Military, and then one day I got the itch for a new knife and just walked straight in and bought it without letting myself get too critical of it, took it home and started using it and that was that. I did however sell the Military a while back, but not because I didn't like it, I plan to get a DLC model in the future, just haven't had the funds.

The most recent shocker was the Southard, because I actually kinda disliked that knife when I first saw it. Sometimes you just don't see any appeal or have an interest...but something actually bothered me in a negative way about it. Then one day I was looking at pics of one and stumbled across the cutout picture that EdgeObserver did (they have a website and You Tube channel) and the insides caught my interest. Then one day I just happened to be fondling my Rock Lobster while watching You Tube videos and I ran across that same review, and it dawned on me that the blade to handle ratio was way up there on the 50/50 scale, and that alone really shifted my interest. At that point I started looking at the model from a user standpoint and less from an aesthetics one. By the time I finally handled one in person I was pretty much set on buying it sight unseen, which is very unusual for me. The shop ended up having a Southard and Domino in stock at the same time, and I wanted to compare the two for obvious reasons. I wouldn't say I didn't like the Domino, but one of the driving forces in my knife buying is variety, and the Domino was just too much like several other knives I already own, and the Southard stuck out as the more unique one.
~David