2014 Spyderco Discontinued Product List - Official

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Need that Balance. Gotta get that Junior. Want them all.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:Evil D,

Very well thought out post. I see lots of combo edges at work with our operational staff, and they are typically something from Wal Mart, beat to a pulp, and on folks who are not into knives for much besides separating two things. I bet most end up thrown away dull, with a snapped tip, and filthy with grease, glue, and gunk. It would be wrong to say CE appeals to the novice as much as to say CE appeals to those who have no plans on maintaining and the longevity of the tool. Just my experience that these guys use the PE until it goes dull and then use the SE until the tip snaps.
I would also add that I think CE is a marketing gimmick that likely appeals to the folks who are happy with a $15 knife. I can't remember the last time I saw a full serrated folder at Walmart (although truth be told, I don't really look that close either). I think people who genuinely appreciate serrations are the ones looking for full serrated blades (like the emergency professional types, EMT's and firemen, etc). But yeah what you said about using the PE until it dulls and then sawing with the SE couldn't be more true. My best friend isn't a knife fanatic but always carries a knife. He doesn't really care what brand or steel, so long as he likes the looks and size of the knife. He's a big fan of the old Gerber Ridge, which I've gifted several to him. One of his favorites is the combo edge, and just a few weeks ago he pretty much told me word for word the same thing we're talking about, that basically he likes it because even with the PE gets dull he can usually saw his way through with the serrations. The difference in these kinds of people though, is that they've likely never used a knife with a steel like S90V that will hold an aggressive working edge for a long time. Of course, with how he treats his knives, I don't plan on gifting him anything with S90V any time soon especially when I'm the one who gets to sharpen out all the chips dings and rolls lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I'm glad I got the Junior. I've used it for everything from kitchen prep to field dressing a boar. Very useful little knife. My daughter likes it, too. :)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

No Millie CE?! I gues I'm gonna have to get good at making my own serrations...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am guessing there are probably more CE Millies floating around than any of the other discos, meaning if you want one you can easily get one.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Interesting (and short) list. The only one I surprised about is the Junior. There seemed to he a lot of hype around it's coming out... I wonder what happened. Maybe it was an afi thing.
phaust

Post by phaust »

captnvegtble wrote:Interesting (and short) list. The only one I surprised about is the Junior. There seemed to he a lot of hype around it's coming out... I wonder what happened. Maybe it was an afi thing.
I don't remember seeing hype anywhere but this forum, not even the Spyderco section of Bladeforums. Plus a knife with an msrp of $229 marketed towards children is a tough sell.

For me, I didn't like the blade shape (I like a pointier tip) and try to stay away from the Japanese models when I can (way overpriced for the quality, IMO).
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

phaust wrote:I don't remember seeing hype anywhere but this forum, not even the Spyderco section of Bladeforums. Plus a knife with an msrp of $229 marketed towards children is a tough sell.

For me, I didn't like the blade shape (I like a pointier tip) and try to stay away from the Japanese models when I can (way overpriced for the quality, IMO).
True. I mostly read this forum... that's probably why I thought there was a lot of interest. I don't actually own a Junior.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Evil D wrote:I would also add that I think CE is a marketing gimmick that likely appeals to the folks who are happy with a $15 knife. I can't remember the last time I saw a full serrated folder at Walmart (although truth be told, I don't really look that close either). I think people who genuinely appreciate serrations are the ones looking for full serrated blades (like the emergency professional types, EMT's and firemen, etc). But yeah what you said about using the PE until it dulls and then sawing with the SE couldn't be more true. My best friend isn't a knife fanatic but always carries a knife. He doesn't really care what brand or steel, so long as he likes the looks and size of the knife. He's a big fan of the old Gerber Ridge, which I've gifted several to him. One of his favorites is the combo edge, and just a few weeks ago he pretty much told me word for word the same thing we're talking about, that basically he likes it because even with the PE gets dull he can usually saw his way through with the serrations. The difference in these kinds of people though, is that they've likely never used a knife with a steel like S90V that will hold an aggressive working edge for a long time. Of course, with how he treats his knives, I don't plan on gifting him anything with S90V any time soon especially when I'm the one who gets to sharpen out all the chips dings and rolls lol.
I would let my S90V Millie go before I let my CE Millie go. Recognize that it is your opinion but I wouldn't call CE a marketing gimmick. I am up over 70 spydies now with a good bunch of sprint steels and still go back to that CE millie for yard work.

I guess now is the time to get a back up and one in DLC.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To clarify the status of the Sage 3, it is being discontinued in its current form with a blue G-10 handle. However, it is being replaced by the same knife made with black cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales--the same material that will be used on the black-bladed Szabo. As such, if you're a fan of the Bolt Action Lock (I am), life is still very good.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Well that's cool! Thanks for the info, Michael
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Michael Janich wrote:To clarify the status of the Sage 3, it is being discontinued in its current form with a blue G-10 handle. However, it is being replaced by the same knife made with black cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate scales--the same material that will be used on the black-bladed Szabo. As such, if you're a fan of the Bolt Action Lock (I am), life is still very good.

Stay safe,

Mike
similar to the Sage 1, just with different lock?
nccole

Post by nccole »

Is it still a Sage 3, or is this the Sage 5?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:similar to the Sage 1, just with different lock?
Not quite, instead of the twill carbon fiber/G-10 laminate it will have cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate (just like what is used for the C146CFBBKP - the latest Szabo Folder)
nccole wrote:Is it still a Sage 3, or is this the Sage 5?
It is still a Sage3. It's model # is C123CFBA and it's SKU is C123CFBAP.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Good, I can still be anticipative (new word?) about the Sage 5 then :D
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Hi Kristi, do you have any idea when might such a knife be available? It sounds very interesting for sure!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This Sage 3 matter is interesting. Seems like a change of plan from the usual evolution to a new lock style. Is this due to poor appreciation for the blue? So this could be considered the Sage 3.1 or maybe Sage 3v2.0?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

akaAK wrote:I would let my S90V Millie go before I let my CE Millie go. Recognize that it is your opinion but I wouldn't call CE a marketing gimmick. I am up over 70 spydies now with a good bunch of sprint steels and still go back to that CE millie for yard work.

I guess now is the time to get a back up and one in DLC.
Well, you're probably the only person on Earth who would make that trade I think ;)
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Well, you're probably the only person on Earth who would make that trade I think ;)
Exactly. I have a NIB CE Military to trade him if he really felt that way. ;) The military is one of the few knives I would ever consider for a CE purchase.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Exactly. I have a NIB CE Military to trade him if he really felt that way. ;) The military is one of the few knives I would ever consider for a CE purchase.
I agree...the longer the blade, the more sense a CE makes. I'm not saying they don't have their uses, but we're also not talking about Militaries, I was referring to the slew of Walmart knives that make up 99% of the combo edge market.
~David