CPM D2 Para

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

CPM D2 Para

Post by Clip »

What's the opinion of the old foliage green D2 Para? Found one and I'm not sure if I should jump on it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I have 2 para 1's but no D2. If the price is reasonable, I'd say it's a very good buy.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Buy it!

I only have one Mili left, the D2. Also only one Para left. The D2. Takes and holds a great edge. More stain resistant than, say, M4 and takes almost as good of and edge.
Excellent knife!

Ken
玉鋼
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Nice knife as long as you don't mind tip down carry.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Clip

Post by Clip »

The asking price is $150. Comparing to auction prices, it sounds like a pretty good get.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

This is my favorite Para1 model. I've carried mine extensively in sweaty summer conditions and it didn't cause any corrosion issues - the D2 should be best viewed as "semi-stainless". It holds an edge reasonably well - not as good as some of the more recent super-steels - but it is very serviceable and sharpens up well.

TedP
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ted pretty much summed up my thoughts. I really like D2 and the Para 1 is just as good as the Para 2 IMO. It is the knife I am carrying today and I don't think I would pass up an opportunity to get a second one for that price. The tip down clip with no other options is the only disadvantage to the knife that I see.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

For what its worth I would jump on it as well. Mine hasn't seen heavy use as it was a gift with some sentimental attachment (yeah I know wierd the things people can be attached too). Good edge holding, relatively corrosion resistant, relatively eaasy to sharpen.

I keep thinking about getting a backup that I could really work with (adjust the end of the handle to address my pinky finger not fitting when I hold it outside of the choil.
endgame

Post by endgame »

They havem at ww. For cheaper that's were I got mine.it is going to be a collectors piece soon.great knife also sharp as ****.I like the green to.inalso own a spyderedge bb para 1 that's my beater.I wish the pm2 had spyderdge.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I bought a light user D2 Para for $100 a couple of years ago. I didn't really use it and ended up trading it. I think the value of this knife is around $100, maybe a little more.

I've been wanting a D2 millie for a long time. Darn it for only 600 being made. :(
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Hands down my favorite knife. Fell in love with the yo2 two weeks ago, thought that had booted my d2 out for a good while, but she crept back into my pocket yesterday. Awesome steel, super easy to sharpen, never a rust issue for me, and foliage green.
I used to scoff at tip down, now i flinch at tip up-this knife has redefined my carry.
Shes a winner. Do it. Dooo itttt :)
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Clip,
IMHO, you should grab up that knife before it gets gone.
The d2 Para was one of my grails.
I searched for over two years, and finally gave up a got a black on black.
I finally found a lightly used d2 for a great price. Turned out to be like new, and is the smoothest opening folder I own.
It goes nicely with the other green ones.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Of all my Militaries (and I have a few--including a couple CPMD2s), the only one I regularly carry is the CPMD2. If the knife is in good shape, grab it. I bought a foliage green CPMD2 Para for a gift for a Detective (in a department in West Texas) to thank him for his usual outstanding assistance in anti-gang task force work. He carries it religiously and swears it is his favorite knife, and he is almost as much a knife guy as I am (which is saying something).
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Holland

Post by Holland »

i love mine! I carry it just as much as i do my para2's. D2 is an awesome steel and if you try hard enough you can get a decent patina on it :D

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
lambertiana

Post by lambertiana »

My CPM-D2 Para is possibly the smoothest-opening folder that I own...noticeably better than my Sebenza.

In direct comparison testing with cardboard and sisal, my CPM-D2 Para was just a little behind my S30V Para, but not by much. The CPM-D2 sharpens up to a very sharp edge very easily, too.
endgame

Post by endgame »

Still havem were I posted b4."ww"