Non spydie folder recommendation?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rg02

Non spydie folder recommendation?

Post by rg02 »

Hey everyone, I love my spydie folders and I am very loyal to spyderco (especially since I am a CO native) but I want to branch out in to a different high quality folder. I am looking to keep it under $250 for the price and blade length 3.75 or less. I have been looking at the zt0560. I have recently got in to titanium frame locks .....

Thanks for any recommendations or photos!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Non spydie folder... I'm sorry, but I think every single spyderco knife has a little spyder on it. Yeah sorry. Frame lock? Maybe the southard?

Just kidding. But I think the ZTs would work well for you, if you want a big beefy knife. They have an overbuilt feeling, that's for sure. Maybe the ZT301 if you want to go assisted. Otherwise, the 0560 is a pretty good one too. Never managed to own a kershaw though, so this is all from random fondles at the shop. If you want to go with the beefier ones, you can always go with an emerson. It's a liner lock instead of a frame lock, but it has that tank feeling as well. The benchmade 755, while smaller, is a framelock that somewhat reminds me of a techno. Small and stout. Or you can always save up for a Chris Reeve...
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

I got a 0560 in a trade for a Lone Wolf Defender.....It is not what a normal person who isn't 7 feet tall can edc. Just felt like it was a combat hard use only blade for me and I couldn't guide the edge well. Maybe it was just me. I just put mine up on the Ebay so I could get funds for a Southard. I can't recommend anything under the 250 range since most other companies and mid techs I had in that range had problems (Strider had blade play, HTM was not good in service and it came with so much blade play I have a video of me using it as a rattle.......) There is a company that Spyderco collaborated with Called Lion Steel. They have some interesting stuff but the collab has a better steel and the same attributes as their standard. Elmax>Sleipnir & D2. Though they do have the new Tispine which seems interesting. I hear good things about CRK but I got a lemon from them (When they first switched to S35vn and didn't have Heat treat right I got an Umnumzaan that had the edge roll on EVERYTHING, probably better now with HT)

A friend of mine carries a Dpx Hest on him but.........I have never seen him cut anything, he just uses the bottle opener on it. I literally have never seen him even open it, so I can't speak on its use.

I think John Grimsmo (makes scales for PM2s and manixes (manixi??) ) has the Norseman around that range.

Al mar isn't ti but it is a great knife. Trust me.

I am just a spyderco fan because I have never been let down and I get more then my moneys worth out of them. I have tried others but eh, I just come back to Spyderco. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I haven't expanded my horizons enough. I tried a lot of companies but I keep coming back.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I love the 0560 :D
rg02

Post by rg02 »

razorsharp wrote:I love the 0560 :D
Do you feel the 0560 is too big to EDC or hard to put a good edge on?/
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Quillan

Post by Quillan »

This knife may be a tad on the small side for you...but the Al-Mar Hawk Ultralight is an absolute jewel...a masterpiece, and one seriously under-appreciated blade. What a beauty! I cannot think of a single production knife that is so perfectly refined, with flawless fit and finish. Flawless.

I HATE thumb studs...but this knife made me change my mind. To me...and I know it is just me...this is a true work of art and engineering genius.

Interesting for a folder...it employs linen micarta for scales...something normally found only on "camp/survival" knives. The blade shape is simply perfect(for my needs). If I could own only one "edc blade" above all others...it would be this knife. It reeks quality and craftmanship as no other "production" knife can boast, with the exception of the grossly overpriced Sebenza line.

About $130CAN...maybe $110-115US...just guessing on that part....only caveat is that it comes clipless (no probs for me, since I hate clips on small(er) blades...just a "me thing"...good luck in your search.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Take a look at MCusta knives they make some beautiful folders usually to the specs you want to the yori is one I particularly like.
Also the ray is a nice folder a bit bigger there is a whole section on heinnie.com but ignore the prices they are uk costs and most likely a lot cheaper in the USA .
Maserin make some nice looking knives as do lion steel these too can be found on the same site btw .
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

+1 for MCusta, very nice knives. They even have one model available with the spydiehole (or did at one point). I think they're mostly liner locks, but very, very nice knives for the money.

The Benchmade 760 LFTi Tanto is a larger Ti Framelock with a big M4 Tanto blade, **** of a knife, nice thumb ramp, designed by Bob Lum. Also their new 100001 Volli is really nice for a smaller knife.

Sticking with the Ti Framelocks, the Bradley Alias I Titanium is a nice "sebenza killer," and comes in just over $200. I've heard pretty good reviews on youtube, and it's made by Benchmade for Bradley.

I don't like the ZT knives as much as some. The less expensive ones seem like nice Kershaws, the more expensive ones feel like over-priced baseball bats. I think in general they "overbuild" their knives and they're too large, too heavy.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I second the notion on the Lion Steel SR-1 or maybe even a Microtech Whaleshark.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I will check out everyone's recommendations. Keep em coming :D
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

rg02 wrote:Do you feel the 0560 is too big to EDC or hard to put a good edge on?/
I was always too aware of it in my pocket and the public did not like the looks of it. It is a good prying knife and a harduse one, I will give it that. But I live in a city/port and have no need for a camping/combat folder
xceptnl wrote:I second the notion on the Lion Steel SR-1 or maybe even a Microtech Whaleshark.
I always wondered if the whale shark was named that because the thumbstud was getting so big it would swallow the blade.

Check out the Ti Spine, Elmax thick knife. A good city friendly hard use knife
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I suggest you to have a look and keep an eye on the Zero Tolerance 0801 listed for 2013, a very nice Rexford collaboration flipper knife, titanium frame lock:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rance-0801

| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Almost all my knives are Spyderco, but during my knife addiction I tried few other brands.
1. Mcusta, I had Cocobolo Take. Looks great. But F&F on my knife was way below Spydero. Initial sharpness was OK, but Also not on Spyderco level.
2. In the past I owned Griptilian, Ares, 530 and recently 581 Barrage with M390. I liked grip, loved Ares, not impressed with Barrage.
3. ZT: 560 probably is OK, but I love 561. :) The knife a little heavy, but I never cared for lightweight knives. Build like a tank, certainly heavy-duty and can take a lot of abuse. Will not slice like Caly, but all depends on what you want. I am very impressed with this knife. Would I trade my Persian or Native for 561? The answer is no. Fortunately I didn't have to :) .
4. Moki. Most of their knives probably qualified as gents knives. I have Glory and love it, but probably this is not what you are looking for.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My recommendation is to save up and buy one of the original titanium frame lock from Chris Reeve - the Sebenza. There are lots of fans and detractors on the net, but there is no denying the tight tolerances, extraordinary fit and finish, and overall solid design of these knives.

Everyone should own one at some point in their knife collecting career...

TedP

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a ZT 0560, and I really like it. I didn't feel it was too hard to get sharp. I've used it for whittling wood, making shaving for fire prep, etc but haven't cut things like cement bags open with it. Carrying it in my back pocket, I didn't mind the weight, *but* with that smooth polished bearing and the weight of the blade, I have had it partially open in my back pocket :eek: . If clipped in my front pocket the blade is against the seam so doesn't open.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
benben

Post by benben »

I know its well above the $250 price point but have a look at Calavera cutlery's El Patron. Comes in either a folder or a flipper and in D2 or 3V steel. Blade sizes are 3.25" and 3.75". Spoke with Jim at Howe's last week about Jeremy and he
had nothing but great things to say about him and his knives ! Howe's is the only dealer as far as i know to sell Jeremy's
knives.
benben
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Well after some investigating I went with something cheaper---- ZT 0550. A little smaller then the 0560 and with s35vn instead of elmax. Paid only $155 so saved $100 from my budget. :D
-Ryan

-Wicked Edge
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

rg02 wrote:Well after some investigating I went with something cheaper---- ZT 0550. A little smaller then the 0560 and with s35vn instead of elmax. Paid only $155 so saved $100 from my budget. :D
That's a great decision it is very Hard to beat this knife for value, it is so well built, buttery smooth, you can flick it open with your tongue (although that may not be socially acceptable in some circles) Still it is a big knife. I have to say although I love it, because if its size, I don't carry it as much as some of my other knives.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine will likely either be a Sebenza or Strider.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Not hard to sharpen to me but I find anything easy to sharpen and I dont mind heavy knives , its not bad to me to carry. Ymmv