Anyone into "traditional" folders?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Midnightrider

Re: Anyone into "traditional" folders?

Post by Midnightrider »

Are the Buck 110s still as good as they used to be? I have one from the 1980s but don't have it with me. I'd like to get another one. As I remember it the sheath was also excellent
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Midnightrider wrote:Are the Buck 110s still as good as they used to be? I have one from the 1980s but don't have it with me. I'd like to get another one. As I remember it the sheath was also excellent
I have only every owned the BG-42 bladed versions of the 110. I can't speak to their current heat treat recipe as I haven't used any of the 420HC blades that they have produced recently. I would expect the quality to be the same or similar to the older versions as they are still US made.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The quality is still good, but they use 420HC steel. They do use Bos heat treat to wring the most out of it, but it is still a bottom end steel. Copper and Clad and SK Knives work with Buck and make some with better steels, frame, and scale materials.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Interesting, I thought they were always 420HC. When did they change to it?
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Midnightrider wrote:Interesting, I thought they were always 420HC. When did they change to it?
The BG-42s were custom shop pieces if I recall correctly. They are available, but you have to hunt for them on the secondary market.
*Landon*
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Just picked up my second Barlow. Love these things.

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

That is a beauty Mark, probably my favorite of the synthetic covers that GEC produces. I do prefer the longpulls, but I love the sterile blades without the "banners?"
Last edited by xceptnl on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They have made the 110 with quite a few steels. I have come close to buying one in 5160 quite a few times. They have done S30V and 154CM too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

xceptnl wrote:That is a beauty Mark, probably my favorite of the synthetic covers that GEC produces. I do prefer the longpulls, but I love the sterile blades without the "banners?"
Thanks! Yeah, same here. Really like the long pull, and don't care so much for etching all over the blade. Usually a compromise with GEC, but man, what quality little blades. I know all that stuff is based on history though, so there's a lot of heritage Charlie C pulls from.

Here's my other:

- Mark

Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

bearfacedkiller wrote:They have made the 110 with quite a few steels. I have come close to buying one in 5160 quite a few times. They have done S30V and 154CM too.
Interesting. I did not know that. A 110 in 5160 would be a tremendous woods knife
xceptnl wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:Interesting, I thought they were always 420HC. When did they change to it?
The BG-42s were custom shop pieces if I recall correctly. They are available, but you have to hunt for them on the secondary market.
Ah OK so they were always 420HC, the standard model anyway. Thank you.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Midnightrider wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote: Ah OK so they were always 420HC, the standard model anyway. Thank you.
Back in the 70s, they were 440C. Unfortunately, the one I bought in 1976 was stolen about 20 years ago. :(
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

They have made the 110 with quite a few steels. I have come close to buying one in 5160 quite a few times. They have done S30V and 154CM too
Also:

D2
CPM 154
440C ( first model)
425M ( second model)
BG 42 ( custom shop and some build outs in the 110 )
ATS 34
Various Damascus steels

The 5160 sharpens easier than any Buck I've seen. There are likely more. These steel versions are relatively common on the secondary market.

Joe
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

dsvirsky wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote: Ah OK so they were always 420HC, the standard model anyway. Thank you.
Back in the 70s, they were 440C. Unfortunately, the one I bought in 1976 was stolen about 20 years ago. :(
Sorry to hear that. I hate criminals. Had some stuff stolen, it's a bad feeling.
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

The Mastiff wrote:
They have made the 110 with quite a few steels. I have come close to buying one in 5160 quite a few times. They have done S30V and 154CM too
Also:

D2
CPM 154
440C ( first model)
425M ( second model)
BG 42 ( custom shop and some build outs in the 110 )
ATS 34
Various Damascus steels

The 5160 sharpens easier than any Buck I've seen. There are likely more. These steel versions are relatively common on the secondary market.

Joe
D2 sounds interesting. 425M rings a bell but maybe I am just hallucinating. Thanks everybody
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The D2 models were made for a knife store that kind of specializes in this. I don't remember if it is the same store that had the run of 5160 -110's built but it might be. I saw the D2 models in stock as late as last week but they probably won't last much longer. I believe they also stated that Buck told them there will not be any more BG 42 runs made. That was always a low production number but popular steel. I had 2 custom shop 110s in BG 42 but got rid of one of them. It's a beautiful knife that really performs well with the Bos heat treat and I'm going to keep my last one the rest of my life.

Joe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The 110 was originally 440C and it was heat treated to get the most from that steel. Because of production changes they went to 425M in the 1980's. I do not remember when, but sometime in the early 1990's they switched to 420HC. There is a lot about this on the Buck sub-forum on Bladeforums.

They did make some in BG-42 from the Custom Shop and limited runs. The same is true for D2, I believe. The do make one in S30V for Cabelas, currently.

Other steels have been made by Buck for specialty makers like Copper and Clad, and SK Blades. These two companies have done S30V, D2, and others.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

Thanks guys. I guess mine just be 440 or 425 then since I bought it in the early 1980s. I can't put my hands on it now. I was so used to reading 420HC in the last decade I must have brainwashed myself into confusion.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I've never had a 110, but didn't Puma pretty much rip Buck off?

This one's from the 70's. It does get rather keen. Super keen even. :cool:

- Mark

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

6E96E00D-934B-4857-9F0D-33F8CA3DC851.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is a great thread and we need to post here more. Today I am sharing my favorite model of traditional that I have ever encountered.

#15EO Scout with sheepsfoot longpull blades. No other slipjoint has ever caught my eye like this one. I blame a fellow forum member (prime77) for giving me the sickness.

*Landon*