JD's TOP 10>> What's Your's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

JD's TOP 10>> What's Your's

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to do this on a semi annual basis and it's been a while since I've posted my TOP 10 favorite Spyders of all time. But I've now compiled a top 10 list of my favorite Spyderco knives of all time.

#1: The C-44 big Dyad model
#2: The C-60 Massad Ayoob ( PE & SE)
#3: The G-10 handled HARPY
#4: The C-111 Captain
#5: The Spyderhawk
#6: The Original FB05 Temperance and/or Temp 2 fixed blade model
#7: The DODO
#8: The RHino Horn Lil Temperance model
#9: The long lived C-36 Military model (XHP the best)
#10: The C-54 big Calypso model

OK, OK!!! I hear all of you :rolleyes: :D I know that most of my picks are older models>> Well So What??!!! They are my personal top 10 favorites and until a newer model de-thrones one of my top 10 favorites then that's just the way it will be.

But now I want all you great guys and gals here at Spyderville to list your personal top 10 Spyders. I don't care if it's folders, fixed blades, kitchen knives or whatever.

It has to be a Spyderco blade. I don't care if it goes back to the early 90s or if it just got released. Also if there is a model with a certain blade steel you like you might make mention of that also. OK BRING THEM ON!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

1. Delica III - in VG-10
2. Delica 4 - ZDP-189 model
3. Para-Military (haven't handled a 2 yet so I'm saying the original)
4. Rookie G-10
5. Calypso Jr. Lightweight (grey sprint is the version I have).
6. Jess Horn burgundy FRN and ZDP-189
7. Remote Release - Original Version
8. Salt I
9. SS Police Model
10. UK Penknife - Either G-10 or FRN
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know if i can give a list of 10..i might not have even owned 10 different models. I'll give it a shot:

1. Para 2 CTS-20CP
2. Yojimbo 2
3. Caly 3 ZDP
4. Vallotton Sub-hilt
5. Centofante 4
6. Military
7. Paramilitary 1
8. Ladybug ZDP
9. Delica 4 ZDP
10. Native lightweight

That's out of what i own. There are likely models i'd put in that list above others if i owned them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I've only ever had 10-12 so ill list them all

M390 pm2
Superblue caly (regrind)
PPT
Forager ( stolen in burglary )
Lava
Manix frcp ( gifted to friend )
Catcherman ( gone as barely used )
Delica
Ladybug salt ffg (regrind )
Chaparral (grit - to ne sent to sfo - probably list 3-4 when fixed
Ambitious
Bug
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Do I have to own them all? Hope not...
In no particular order, here they are.

1. M4 Military
2. Native 4
3. CF Michael Walker
4. Ti UKPK
5. Gayle Bradley
6. H1 Ladybug
7. M390 Military
8. Terzuola Slipit
9. Caly Jr ZDP
10. Street Beat
On the hunt for...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Okay, let's see...

1. CF Balance
2. SB Caly 3.5
3. M4 Manix
4. GB
5. Phoenix
6. G10 Jester
7. S90V Manix
8. CF ZDP Stretch
9. Grey PM 2
10 D2 PM

Ken
玉鋼
JD Spydo

Interesting but somewhat disappointing

Post by JD Spydo »

It is interesting the feedback so far but then again it is somewhat disappointing>> because I see no Spyderco fixed bades as being anyone's favorites so far :confused:

I'm also seeing many models getting many votes so far from the majority of you all.

I am however seeing many models from what I personally call the "Golden Era Of Spyders (1998 - 2003). It does appear that many models from that era truly are timeless and I'll maintain my position.

I am seeing many of the Spyders with supersteels which I did truly expect. But again I did expect to see more fixed blades :confused:
DeathBySnooSnoo

I have the Street Beat on my list...small, but still a fixed blade.
On the hunt for...
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

1 C66PBK4 - Centofante 4
2 C36GTIP TiMil - M4 Military
3 LBKS3HB - Hawkbill Ladybug
4 C132GP - Chokwe
5 C44 - Big dyad
6 C85GPBL - Yojimbo
7 C42P Viele
8 C38P Jess Horn ZDP - 189
9 C101CF90VP2 - Manix 2 CPM S90V
10 C22CFPE - Michael Walker ZDP - 189
O.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

1. C36 Military
JD Spydo

Streetbeat: I super fixed blade indeed

Post by JD Spydo »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I have the Street Beat on my list...small, but still a fixed blade.
Yeah you're right DBSS :o My BAD for sure>> It's interesting because the STreet Beat has become the immediate favorite of a very good friend of mine that I just sold one of mine to. He carries it just as though it was a folder.

It taught me a valuable lesson with Spyderco knives>> Don't let the first impression indelibly mark your opinion. Because the very first Streetbeat I ever owned I immediately said that the blade was way too small to be of any use to me>> BOY !! O Boy!! was I wrong on that one :o :rolleyes:

Because it's right up there as one of my favorite Spyderco utility blades now that I've used one a few times. In the future I'll keep my mouth shut until I give the knife a fair trial from now on :D

NOW my friend "O Just O" hold on for crying out loud!!! You got the sacred, beloved C-44 Dyad that I know is one of your favs for sure rated at #4???? I thought it was at least your second favorite Spyder if not your very favorite??? Hey Buddy I'm depending on your support for getting Sal to Sprint Run the C-44 and I know you want a Sprint Run of the C-44 as bad as I do. Seriously though you got one great looking top 10 list my friend and thank you for plugging the big Dyad>
DeathBySnooSnoo

JD Spydo wrote:Yeah you're right DBSS :o My BAD for sure>> It's interesting because the STreet Beat has become the immediate favorite of a very good friend of mine that I just sold one of mine to. He carries it just as though it was a folder.

It taught me a valuable lesson with Spyderco knives>> Don't let the first impression indelibly mark your opinion. Because the very first Streetbeat I ever owned I immediately said that the blade was way too small to be of any use to me>> BOY !! O Boy!! was I wrong on that one :o :rolleyes:

Because it's right up there as one of my favorite Spyderco utility blades now that I've used one a few times. In the future I'll keep my mouth shut until I give the knife a fair trial from now on :D
It is perfect to carry like you would a folder. It has a good amount of edge but is small and light. I will often take the g clip off and just slide the whole knife and sheath into my pocket. It is small enough that I can fit the entire thing into the front pocket of my jeans. Reach in, little push with the thumb and the blade is out. Very handy. Plus because it is a fixed blade, it is very strong.

Not perfect, but a very good little fixed blade. I enjoy it a lot.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:It is interesting the feedback so far but then again it is somewhat disappointing>> because I see no Spyderco fixed bades as being anyone's favorites so far :confused:

I'm also seeing many models getting many votes so far from the majority of you all.

I am however seeing many models from what I personally call the "Golden Era Of Spyders (1998 - 2003). It does appear that many models from that era truly are timeless and I'll maintain my position.

I am seeing many of the Spyders with supersteels which I did truly expect. But again I did expect to see more fixed blades :confused:

I must confess, i'm a folder guy at heart. If i can't slip it into my pocket and carry it with me everywhere i go, chances are i probably don't even own it with the exception of a fixed blade for camping or something. I don't get to spend enough time outdoors to really put a fixed blade to good use, but i use a folder every day so that's what i own. I put my list in order of what i like the most out of what i own, but in truth just owning them means they've passed a big test or else i'd have sold or traded them by now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

In no particular order, this is my list at the moment (ask me again tomorrow and it will likely be different):

C161GP Ulize
C36CF90VP Military
C58GPFG J.D. Smith
C101CF90VP2 Manix 2
C90CFZDP189 Stretch
C81GP2 Paramilitary 2
C85GP2 Yojimbo 2
C125GPFG Kuhkri
C144CFZDP189 Caly 3.5
C103GP Pikal
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

1. C39 Mini Dyad. All time fave.
2. C44 Dyad.
3. Dodo. Blue, of course.
4. Paramilitary.
5. Delica 3.
6. Lava.
7. Original big Manix.
8. Military D-2.
9. My 4" Spyderco kitchen knife.
10. Pink Delica 4. Because I gave it to my wife and I love watching her use it :)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

JD Spydo wrote:NOW my friend "O Just O" hold on for crying out loud!!! friend and thank you for plugging the big Dyad>
I'm sorry JD, it was a tough call & what I did was list them in order of EDC. The Cento is my work knife & is with me about one third of every day. The M4 military, well need I say any more ? :D . Hawkbill Ladybug because of the laws here. The Chokwe is a loyal & devoted friend with such a lovely sexy smooth opening blade, & we have a thing going on :rolleyes: . So the Dyad did fairly well by the way I look at it.
I only have the one C44 & it is a treasure that is almost irreplacable in this country now. Some one with one almost has to leave it to you in their will. They don't come up for sale on the forums & importing is out of the question with customs here grabbing everything that folds & a lot of fixed blades too.
I still want to see Sal make a new big Dyad, If not for me then at least for your good self & other Dyad lovers.
O.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

JD, I know you didn’t ask, but I had to tell why. I guess I have to rationalize it. My collection is relatively newer, but with CQI, I tell myself they’ve worked the kinks out and I’ve got the best they’ve made :D . As you can tell, I generally prefer smaller blades. Thanks for starting this post. I enjoyed this.

James

1) Damascus Caly ~ C113CFPD--- Very recent acquisition, but quickly to the top of my list
2) Salt I ~ C88YL --- My most used blade, easy to sharpen, great in the worst environments
3) Caly 3 ZDP ~ C113CF --- Was at the top until the Damascus Caly
4) Ti or G10 UKPK ~ C94Ti/C94GFG--- My go to knife when I’ll be around NKP
5) Lava ~ C110 --- Love the unique shape. Want one in carbon or G10
6) Delica ZDP Combo Edge ~ C11GRE--- My first love (kinda like a gateway knife)
7) Techno ~ C158Ti--- The knife I chose when I don’t know what to chose
8) Chaparral ~ C152CF --- Takes up little pocket real estate, great for any occasion
9) Gayle Bradley ~ C134CF --- The easy choice when I need a larger /outdoor knife
10) Dyad JR. ~ C39P&SBG --- sits in my desk and used almost daily (really want one in H1)
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Excluding Special Variants and Sprints...
1. Manix 2
2. Para-Military
3. Delica 4
4. Military
5. Dragonfly 2
6. Caly 3.5
7. Para-Military 2
8. Spyderhawk
9. Stretch
10. Mule

I have owned them all and they are all in my top tier of cutlery hands-down. Thank you Sal & crew!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

I don't own 10 spydercos, or even five for that matter so I can't really chime in on my top ten. Just wanted to comment and say I am surprised to see no mention of any type of Dragonfly. I thought that was a beloved spyderco knife.

Edit: Scratch that while writing this someone posted with a dfly2 in their list.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CombatGrappler wrote:1. C39 Mini Dyad. All time fave.
2. C44 Dyad.
3. Dodo. Blue, of course.
4. Paramilitary.
5. Delica 3.
6. Lava.
7. Original big Manix.
8. Military D-2.
9. My 4" Spyderco kitchen knife.
10. Pink Delica 4. Because I gave it to my wife and I love watching her use it :)
Big C-44 Dyad #2!!! I'm lovin it!! Is your C-39 the Micarta handled version? If so I tend to agree with your rating to a point >> but I'm very limited to the work I can do with a blade that small>> You all notice that the smallest thing on my list is the DODO>> But it's a specialty type blade for special cutting jobs.

But I do like your list Brother and I love my XHP Military and I've never got to test drive a D-2 model as of yet but the D-2, and S90V MILITARY models are very high on my "gotta Have" list.

But again hardly no one is giving any of Spyderco's super fixed blades much of a rating at all so far. I personally couldn't go a day without my original FB05 Temperance 1 model and when I get a Temp 2 I'll still keep it.

I can't believe no one has rated the Southfork as of yet?? Great listings guys>> Keep them coming!!!