What are the California laws on butterfly knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HenrikPopowski

What are the California laws on butterfly knives?

Post by HenrikPopowski »

Hello all,

I read the California knife laws, and it does not directly reference butterfly knives. If butterfly knives are in fact illegal, what about a training knife? Are they legal? I just want to play with one around my house because they are fun.

Thanks
HenrikPopowski
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Based on the excerpt below from Bernard Levine's "Knife Laws of the 50 States", it would appear that butterfly knives are considered switchblades under California law and, as such, are only legal if their blade is 2" long, or less. No idea how they'd treat trainers. Some places treat them the same as live blades, some don't. Only way to know for certain would be to get an opinion from the California Attorney General's Office.
California case law:
Butterfly knife which has blade in excess of two inches is
"switch-blade knife" within meaning of... 653k. [Attorney
General's opinion 11-19-1985.]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

You Better check the laws in CA for yourself

Post by JD Spydo »

I probably shouldn't even chime in because I admit I know very little about California's knife laws>> although I do know for a fact that they have some pretty strict switchblade ( automatic knife) laws. Which would lead me to believe that they probably aren't too tolerant of Butterfly knives either.

And I don't mean to kill your enthusiasm but it's been my experience that Butterfly Knives aren't very well liked by the legal community just about anywhere here in the United States. You can carry one here in Missouri as long as the blade is under 4 inches long but I have heard stories that some police officers confiscate all the Butterfly knives that they come across.

Another thing we have here in Missouri and I know they have it in many other states as well is the fact that they give the officers discretion as to whether or not they think a certain type of knife is a threat to public safety and if they deem that it is they are allowed to confiscate any such knife.

Now I've never had any of mine confiscated but the only 2 times in several years I"ve been pulled over by the police for license check or taillight being burnt out or whatever I just put whatever knives I have on me up on the dashboard and they never give me a second look or say anything bad to me at all. I've never even had an officer even so much as touch one of my knives. Most of them to want you to let them know that you have them on you.

But again Butterfly knives in some jurisdictions are hated even more than automatics are (switchblades). I think there is a website and I think it's been put up by BLADE magazine that has the knife laws in all 50 states. They had all 50 states knife laws in one of their issues about 4 years ago. You might want to check it out because I think they have it on one of their websites.

I'm lucky because here in Missouri they just don't seem to trip on knives at all. But California is known to have a lot of draconian, unconstitutional laws on their books especially dealing with knives and guns and I would sure check it before I would be carrying or EDCing one. GOOD LUCK Brother :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
donkeykong

Post by donkeykong »

If in doubt, consider everything to be illegal here in CA.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Butterfly knives are considered switchblades in CA. As such, you can own them and play with them in your home, but you can't legally carry any that are over 2" in blade length.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

Agree with the above. I would not recommend carrying one in CA.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:Butterfly knives are considered switchblades in CA. As such, you can own them and play with them in your home, but you can't legally carry any that are over 2" in blade length.
I know for a fact now that what this guy is saying is 100% true. The reason I remember that is because I had a knife dealer friend of mine I used to meet every year at the BLADE Show tell me that the only auto knife he could sell in California was a 2 inch cigar cutter that was an auto knife. I had forgotten about that until "dsvirsky" just mentioned it again.

As I said earlier in some jurisdictions they are even more strict on Butterfly knives than they are on Switchblades ( autos). There are so many great blades you can carry without any worry. And being charged with a felony in the state of California could be a very expensive legal retainer fee at the very least.

I was talking to an old friend last night about this thread and he told me that the only 2 states that are more draconian/strict/unconstitutional than California dealing with knives and guns are New York and Massachusettes. It just isn't worth you going to jail or spending your vacation money to an attorney.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

New York's laws on switchblades are extremely strict all over the state. On the other hand, with the exception of NYC, balisongs are perfectly legal there.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

In your house it's legal. However, you cannot have one over two inches in the passenger area of your car (area designed for people), nor carry one over two inches, nor sell/trade/give/lend.etc. So IF you only intend to use it at home, I'd suggest that you buy one over 2", put it in a locked case in your trunk, drive home, and keep it there. While it is legal to buy one, you'd have to somehow get someone to illegally sell you one. So while possession of a balisong over 2" is possible, it's unlikely, unless you have one from before this law was made... whenever that was. A balisong under 2" is legal.

Also, I vaguely remember this.. it either applies to balisongs, or maybe nunchucks and such. Even though the item is illegal, trainers are legal if you're at, or traveling to and from the place of training. I'm not sure about this, but I remember it from reading over CA laws at one point. I believe it's section 12020.... I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Sorry, it's for a nunchuck... "The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense."
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

------
Last edited by c.joe on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paris

Post by Paris »

Hello guys I am Paris. I am very glad to be a part of this wonderful platform. I am quite surprised to know about the California on butterfly knives. I t is a great fun like this. it is great law work to protect the rights equally.