Spydercos from Taiwan

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wolverine666

Spydercos from Taiwan

Post by Wolverine666 »

I guess I'm biased. I just automatically prefer Spydercos that are made in Golden , CO. I like the thought of my knives being manufactured in the U.S.

However , I am very interested in some Spydercos that are made in Taiwan (specifically the Sage4). I don't know what it is but the fact that it is manufactured in Taiwan makes me hesitate to buy it.

Does anyone have good/bad things to say about Taiwan-made Spydercos ? This is the part where you convince me that I'm worrying for nothing and that I shouldn't hesitate at all to buy a Taiwan-made Spyderco :) .
Clip

Post by Clip »

I've never had the opportunity to own one from Taiwan but like you, I get all fuzzy and warm inside when it says Golden, CO on it. However, I wouldn't hesitate if I saw one I wanted to buy and it was made in Taiwan because the guys in Golden are still standing behind you on it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey wolverine,
i have a zulu, which was manufactures in tiachung, tiawan.
it's become one of my favorite spydies!
the fit and finish on my zulu is exceptional. the blade is perfectly centered, and came very sharp right out of the box.
the edge grind was even and consistent on each side.
there is absolutely no play whatsoever, and it locks up tight at about 30%.
and it's one of the smoothest openers i have.
the g10 scales are finished nicely, and have a great look to them.
granted, this is my only tiawan made knife, but you would think it's made in golden.
i don't think you would be disappointed in any selection made from tiawan.
good luck in your decision, and let us know how it works out for you.
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

The Taiwan Spydercos are hands down the best when it comes to fit and finish.

If you think the Golden spydies are good then the Taiwan knives will blow your mind. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this post, but I really don't care. I post what everyone else won't say.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

IMO the Taiwanese made Spydercos are the best that there are. The fit and finish on them is spectacular. Plus it seems to be where all the interesting knives are being made. I think that if anyone doesn't buy a model just because of where it is made they are really missing out on some truly amazing knives.

All the Sage series, the Gayle Bradley, Chokwe, Chaparral, Vallotton, Navaja, PPT...so many of the best of Spyderco are made in Taiwan.

Plus a lot of the upcoming knives that we have seen recently are being made there too. Including the Southard flipper IIRC.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Your title is missing a couple words, "are awesome" :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Golden is running at capacity already. So, in order to have the Sage series and other great knives like the Chaparral series, Chokwe, Vallotton, Gayle Bradley, PPT, Zulu, Navaja, Des Horn, etc., they need to be made outside Golden.
From what I've heard, the maker in Taiwan was specifically chosen because of the skill and craftsmanship they demonstrated. As I recall, the Taiwanese maker is also a small, family owned shop. Once you start buying and using Taichung made Spydercos, you'll see how evident their skill is. They obviously take great pride in their work, which is unbelievably consistent.

Golden made Spydercos are all marked "Earth". After all, no matter what country we live in, we're all human beings of planet Earth, and I'm proud to support hard working craftsmen who take pride in their art, whether they live in Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth, or Taichung, Taiwan, Earth.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

gbelleh wrote:Golden is running at capacity already. So, in order to have the Sage series and other great knives like the Chaparral series, Chokwe, Vallotton, Gayle Bradley, PPT, Zulu, Navaja, Des Horn, etc., they need to be made outside Golden.
From what I've heard, the maker in Taiwan was specifically chosen because of the skill and craftsmanship they demonstrated. As I recall, the Taiwanese maker is also a small, family owned shop. Once you start buying and using Taichung made Spydercos, you'll see how evident their skill is. They obviously take great pride in their work, which is unbelievably consistent.

Golden made Spydercos are all marked "Earth". After all, no matter what country we live in, we're all human beings of planet Earth, and I'm proud to support hard working craftsmen who takes pride in their art, whether they live in Golden, Colorado U.S.A. Earth, or Taichung, Taiwan, Earth.
Well said
On the hunt for...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:The Taiwan Spydercos are hands down the best when it comes to fit and finish.

If you think the Golden spydies are good then the Taiwan knives will blow your mind. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this post, but I really don't care. I post what everyone else won't say.
DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:IMO the Taiwanese made Spydercos are the best that there are. The fit and finish on them is spectacular. Plus it seems to be where all the interesting knives are being made. I think that if anyone doesn't buy a model just because of where it is made they are really missing out on some truly amazing knives.

All the Sage series, the Gayle Bradley, Chokwe, Chaparral, Vallotton, Navaja, PPT...so many of the best of Spyderco are made in Taiwan.
A Spyderco is a Spyderco, Sal and the Spyderco family know how to have their high standards met by manufacturing talent in many countries. That said, I have to agree, the Spydercos coming out of Taiwan the last couple of years are suburb.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
computernut

Post by computernut »

I don't think cheap labour is the reason that we see Taichung-made knives, I think Spyderco found a good knife maker to produce models that the CO plant doesn't have the capacity to produce. If Spyderco goes out and finds the best places to get knives made for them then all the power to them. If they go out and find the cheapest places on the planet to make knives they can sell at the dollar store then that's not so great but that's not Spyderco's style. Even their China-made knives are highly regarded for their price. If everything had to be made in their USA,Earth plant we'd see half the knives in their catalog.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

Wolverine666 wrote:This is the part where you convince me that I'm worrying for nothing and that I shouldn't hesitate at all to buy a Taiwan-made Spyderco :) .
Sal would not allow junk to be made. :D Buy with confidence! You're missing out on some awesome knives! :)

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

Pinetreebbs wrote:A Spyderco is a Spyderco, Sal and the Spyderco family know how to have their high standards met by manufacturing talent in many countries. That said, I have to agree, the Spydercos coming out of Taiwan the last couple of years are suburb.
Very true. I expect that if it has the :spyder: logo on it, you can rest easy. Given that it's authentic, of course. Lol.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

As mentioned Spyderco only works with the best makers. These so happen to be all around the world.

Taking a quick survey of the model line it seems all factories have a good amount of work. If you can spread the love without the potential risks by expansion, why not? :)
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I am convinced. I am definitely going to buy a couple Taiwan Spydercos for my next purchase. Thanks guys for the info and the reassurance. My hesitation has melted away.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Sage 1...$88 at Amazon. Can't beat that price for the fit and finish, the carbon fiber, the s30v blade steel. Such a great knife.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

CrimsonTideShooter wrote:The Taiwan Spydercos are hands down the best when it comes to fit and finish.

Exactly. I have gotten better quality from my taiwan spydies than from my golden ones (not knocking golden at all, just sayin :p )
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I've got a Sage 3 and fit and finish is as good as it gets in a production knife. If it said Golden, Colorado on it you'd believe it.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

So why were the S30V Cat and Chicago discontinued so quickly from Taiwan? I always read it was QC issues. Ar they dealing with someone new?

I do have a G10 Cat from Taiwan and I think it's a fine knife.

IMO, nothing beats Golden. There is a guy in the US building my knife. I will support that first. Of coarse it does help that my two favorite knifes are the Native 5 and Dodo.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

willydigger wrote:So why were the S30V Cat and Chicago discontinued so quickly from Taiwan? I always read it was QC issues. Ar they dealing with someone new?

I do have a G10 Cat from Taiwan and I think it's a fine knife.

IMO, nothing beats Golden. There is a guy in the US building my knife. I will support that first. Of coarse it does help that my two favorite knifes are the Native 5 and Dodo.
Someone with more knowledge will correct me, but I believe those models were from a different maker. The shop in Taichung was chosen, as others have said, for their quality and was allowed to put Taichung on the blade to identify the knife as coming from their shop. I will agree with others that the current models coming from Taiwan are always finished very well and up to Spydercos exacting standards.