Bushing, washer, what's the difference?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Bushing, washer, what's the difference?

Post by jackknifeh »

What is the difference between a washer and a bushing. I've heard both terms used when talking about the parts used in a Spyderco knife. I have also heard the two words for years but never cared if there was a difference.

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bushing and washers are little different. Both of them are hollow cylinders, but washer is flat and bushing is tall. Washer also used as a spacer. Washers usually kept soft. Bushings often harden. All depend on application. Most likely you used washers when you assemble something, you put washer between nut and other surface, than you tighten a nut. Bushing is used little different. One of possible applications is when you open and close a folder blade rotates around bushing, pivot screw (or rivet or pin) goes through inside diameter of bushing.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bh49 wrote:Bushing and washers are little different. Both of them are hollow cylinders, but washer is flat and bushing is tall. Washer also used as a spacer. Washers usually kept soft. Bushings often harden. All depend on application. Most likely you used washers when you assemble something, you put washer between nut and other surface, than you tighten a nut. Bushing is used little different. One of possible applications is when you open and close a folder blade rotates around bushing, pivot screw (or rivet or pin) goes through inside diameter of bushing.
So, what I call a pivot pin (blade tang pivots around it, screws go inside) is a bushing? How about the "spacers" along the back of an open back knife handle? Those are bushings also if I understand your explanation. I've seen them call things like "back spacers". That may be a name for a bushing used in a folder for this application and a "bushing" also may have another name for for it on a different product. Is that accurate? Washers in a folder are the brass or bronze looking things that go around the pivot pin between the tang and liner. I think I've seen the word bushing used for the washers which is the main reason I was confused.

Does that sound right? I just want an accurate understanding of what someone writes and used these terms.

Thanks for the help.

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:So, what I call a pivot pin (blade tang pivots around it, screws go inside) is a bushing? How about the "spacers" along the back of an open back knife handle? Those are bushings also if I understand your explanation. I've seen them call things like "back spacers". That may be a name for a bushing used in a folder for this application and a "bushing" also may have another name for for it on a different product. Is that accurate? Washers in a folder are the brass or bronze looking things that go around the pivot pin between the tang and liner. I think I've seen the word bushing used for the washers which is the main reason I was confused.

Does that sound right? I just want an accurate understanding of what someone writes and used these terms.

Thanks for the help.

Jack
No. The term bushing can be used for a number of things but not that. Most common definition, when it comes to items with moving parts, is a plain sleeve bearing (as opposed to a roller or needle bearing) which goes around a shaft. Sometimes the shaft revolves within the bushing(as with a crankshaft), sometimes it slides back and forth within it (as with the front bushing of a 1911). On a knife it would mean a sleeve that encircled the pivot pin (or screw) and was in turn encircled by the blade tang. Washers, on the other hand go between the sides of blade tang and the liners. Those spacers used to keep the handle slabs separated would be standoffs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

The Deacon wrote:No. The term bushing can be used for a number of things but not that. Most common definition, when it comes to items with moving parts, is a plain sleeve bearing (as opposed to a roller or needle bearing) which goes around a shaft. Sometimes the shaft revolves within the bushing(as with a crankshaft), sometimes it slides back and forth within it (as with the front bushing of a 1911). On a knife it would mean a sleeve that encircled the pivot pin (or screw) and was in turn encircled by the blade tang. Washers, on the other hand go between the sides of blade tang and the liners. Those spacers used to keep the handle slabs separated would be standoffs.
Ok, a washer is a flat piece of metal cut into a circle with another circle in the middle like a washer on a bolt. If there was a pipe shaped tube slid over the pivot pin would that be considered a bushing? From the center out I'm thinking screw, pivot pin, bushing, tang. Is that right? If that is the case I'm thinking there are no bushings in the knives I've taken apart (GB, Manix2, Delica, Sage1, Chaparral). Is the word bushing being used incorrectly when talking about the knives I've mentioned? If there is a bushing in one of the knives I mentioned what part is it?

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Deacon is spot-on. The terms can be a bit fuzzy, but I think of washers as "flat donuts" and bushings as "short tubes".

The one Spydie I know that has bushings is the Para2. This keeps the scales a pre-set distance apart so that when you tighten the pivot screws, you can't tighten them so far as to make the blade action stiff. It tightens down only until it runs into the bushing. This is one of the reasons why the Para2 has such a smooth action and great "flickability". This also means that you can't tighten down the pivot screw to adjust for blade play...

TedP
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:I think of washers as "flat donuts" and bushings as "short tubes".
TedP
I really like this analogy. washers are "flat donuts"
http://www.google.com/search?q=bushing& ... 34&bih=736

and than bushing are a tall donuts :) :D
http://www.google.com/search?q=bushing& ... 34&bih=736
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I understand the bushing as what Chris Reeve uses:

Kan be seen here.
peppercorn wrote:I haven't posted in a while although I have been checking in from time to time. I just got some extension tubes for my camera and thought I would try some macro shots of a few of my Sebenzas.
I tried to focus on some of the salient features of the knife.
What do you guys/gals think?

2009 Large 21.

Dual thumb lugs, Large Regular.

2006 Large Classic.

Pivot mechanism, Small regular.

I really came to appreciate the tolerances of these five parts as I was assembling this shot.
http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenzaclean.htm
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
BAL

Post by BAL »

A bushing is a type of a bearing, a washer gets your clothes clean.