IG-88's Spyderco Accumulation :-) (Lot of Pics)

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

All black Tanto vs all black Szabo :)

Wicked Blades 8)

Last edited by IG-88 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
M80

Post by M80 »

I'm so jealous of your spydercard and blue yojimbo :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Very nice Lum collection. Are any of the recent?
What do you think of black Szabo? I am still trying to figure it out, if I need one. I am attracted to the blade, not so much to handle :( .
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

How are you liking your black Szabo? I've been on the fence for a while now. Finally got my hands on one, it's just so **** big. It just seems like too much knife but for some reason I can't stop looking at them online. Your pics aren't helping. I still may get it. Convince me lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

bh49 wrote:Very nice Lum collection. Are any of the recent?
What do you think of black Szabo? I am still trying to figure it out, if I need one. I am attracted to the blade, not so much to handle :( .
Liquid Cobra wrote:How are you liking your black Szabo? I've been on the fence for a while now. Finally got my hands on one, it's just so **** big. It just seems like too much knife but for some reason I can't stop looking at them online. Your pics aren't helping. I still may get it. Convince me lol.
Thx for your comments. It depends on what your needs are I think. For me this is wicked knife to have in my collection, I really like the more bizare knives Spyderco produces. Not that I really need such a knife or will ever carry it (it does not fit my pockets :) ), to me its a very fun knive to have and play with. Its an awesome conversation piece.
If I was a LEO or Military I think I would carry it, this is one **** of a self defence knife. The oversized handle gives a lot of reach and the blade helps in every way possible. This is where the knife was designed for and will function the best. As an EDC I doubt it will be very satisfying

The knife itself is very well build and the self close mechanisme is a nice piece of engineering. The knife is very stiff in the beginning but losens up. On the other hand you will never be able to flick or shake it out due to the self close.
I first had the satin version and sold it because of the golden Bling scales when I heared the all black was coming out, but I was disapointed with the Cosby scales on the black version. I think those knives would have been much nicer with other scales on them. Regular G-10 or real CF would have done the trick. The Satin in CF and the Black in Black G-10 would have been my prefered choice.

The thing that puzzles me about the black is the blade coating. Its not the standard DLC coating like the PM2 or Mili. Its more shinny but not as shinny as the Rockstead coating. On other knives the coating is a little corse and the blade surface does not show the small lines from grinding. On the Szabo the coating is smoother and you can still see the lines of grinding the blade.

The black version looks smaller in hand then the Satin version. Although they are the same due to the all black the knife looks less impessive then the satin version. But to most people this still looks like a very scary blade. The size of the knife and the bladeshape send a chill down the spin each time I play with it. I have some other nasty blades, such as the PKal or Yojimbo but they cannot top the Szabo in agression and dissuasion factor. The only knife that most people disgust more then the Szabo is the Civilian, this is still the ultimate meat hook :)

So if you are looking for a nice collection/conversation piece I would go for it. If you want to EDC it, I think you will quickly leave it at home seen the weight and size. If you are LEO and already have a ton of stuff to carry this will be a helpfull tool on your belt.
Black over Satin??? The black is bad-***, the satin is impressive.

I hope this helps you guys in deciding if its something you need to buy or not. I would say buy it :D

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the great response. I think I'm gonna hold off on it even though you were very convincing. I can only afford one more Spydie this year and I think it's gonna be the Karahawk. In the last week alone I picked up a bug, Swick 3 and a grey g10 Jester. I also ordered a sheath from SheathPro. I know those aren't really all that expensive but it adds up. I honestly do not understand how my wife lets me get away with it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

awesome lums Nicolas! very jealous of the blacked out version :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Nicolas,
Thank you
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx you all for the nice comments, glad I could help out.

Now... The Kumo... oh boy, was I wrong not to buy this earlier. This is one sweet blade! This has rocketed straight in my Spyderco top 5 as soon as I touched it :)

Spyderco Kumo

Last edited by IG-88 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

IG-88 wrote: Now... The Kumo... oh boy, was I wrong not to buy this earlier. This is one sweet blade! This has rocketed straight in my Spyderco top 5 as soon as I touched it :)
Great pictures. . Kumo is one of very few knives I regret that I passed, when they were available at dealer. Beautiful piece.
Thank you for sharing

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

ATR mmmm

Last edited by IG-88 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Very nice closeups of a well made knife ... thanks!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Donut

Post by Donut »

Those are pretty awesome macro shots. Thanks for sharing them!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

very nice photos! love the ATR, thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Peter1960 wrote:Very nice closeups of a well made knife ... thanks!
+1
The master knows, what he is talking about.
I love the blade. I can only wish that Spyderco would make ATR with G10 scales and change the clip.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Is the Cobra hood of MIM construction?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx everybody for the nice comments!! Its a great knife and a fun knife to put on photo. The knife shows a lot of its internals, so a lot of details to grab!
xceptnl wrote:Is the Cobra hood of MIM construction?
I'm not sure but it looks like it. Anyone knows for sure?

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice ATR! Does the Cobra hood accidentally catch on the pocket like a wave? It looks dangerous.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

IG-88, forgive my ignorance but is that the stainless version of the A.T.R?

@liquid_cobra
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:IG-88, forgive my ignorance but is that the stainless version of the A.T.R?
Yes it is. A simple trick to keep the stainless and Ti appart is by looking at the holes in the handle. The Ti version has fewer holes :) To be correct the Ti has only 4 holes + lanyard hole in the handle and the stainless has 11 (6 large and 5 small) :) Further the blade steel is different (S30V on the Ti) and the Ti is made in Golden and the stainless in Japan. Now you will be able to spot the Ti if you see one, and if you see one grab it :)