S110V Native 5 Handle Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What handle would you want?

Black
2%
Red
15%
Blue
10%
Brown
3%
Gray
4%
Green
5%
Tan
3%
Stag Arms Green
18%
Carbon Fiber
33%
Something Fancier (Titanium, Bolsters, etc)
7%

Total votes: 163

Niles

S110V Native 5 Handle Poll

Post by Niles »

Of the following options what handle would you like to see on the upcoming S110V Native 5.

1-8: G10 Colors (allowing for subtle variances):

9: Carbon Fiber
10: Something fancier (titanium, bolsters, etc.)

Edit: Refer to this post for more info on stag arms green...the above may not be a good example of the color.
Do no harm. Do know harm.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Do we need another thread on this? We had already narrowed the top responses down...why add more again. Seems like going backwards.
On the hunt for...
Niles

Post by Niles »

A poll was suggested, a poll was created. This seems more definitive.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm not arguing the poll, just the number of choices. Black was already voted down...as were many other colors, like red.
On the hunt for...
Niles

Post by Niles »

The results should be the same, as long as there isnt a tie.
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

i think black should be removed. I don't think they will/want to do another black back-back
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Where is navy blue?
Niles

Post by Niles »

D1omedes wrote:Where is navy blue?
Obviously, not all shades could be included. I'd say pick the closest thing to what you like, if your color wins, argue for a particular shade.

INFRNL wrote:i think black should be removed. I don't think they will/want to do another black back-back
Sal and company could go to the runner up if black wins and they don't want to do it. That's why it's good to be them.
editedby

Post by editedby »

I voted Green in the Poll, but was thinking bolsters in the different color of the same G10(?) would be different for a :spyder: , and perhaps not boost the cost as much as a more exotic material.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I believe that Stag Arms green looks a little different than shown, it is actually dark green. #8 is more bluish than green, at least for my eyes.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Slash

Post by Slash »

Had to select something fancier only cause you don't have black and red tiger stripe listed.

This poll is better than the boring black or anything else one though.

I just have laugh at the s110v though. I think there's a good reason spyderco has stayed away from it. Getting the ht right is not an easy process and an expensive one to boot.

If some of you fanboys read knife tests you would know what I'm talking about.

I think Eric will make the right choice though.
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

Camo black blade
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

I like the rendered version of stag arms green better than actual stag arms green, which we are, by the way, by virtue of its working name, ruining our chances for. Dark green might be a less attributable way of suggesting it, the way that if we say for instance wanted lime green we'd call it lime and not toxic, hint hint.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

And i dont feel bad about nitpicking color nuances, blame it on art college.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Red will never happen, it's reserved for trainers. The Stag Arms color...am i the only one who feels like that's ripping off their color theme? That's like wearing the other team's colors. We've seen tan, brown, gray, burgundy and dark green (BRG) on other knives already so i don't think those will happen either. I really don't see it coming in smurf blue like the recent Para 2 M390 did either. A knife with steel this high on the food chain i bet will only come out with something like peel ply carbon fiber to make it that much more exotic (ala S90V versions). If i had to pick a color for G10, i'd say something between British Racing Green and Sage Green...something with an olive green flavor to it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

The bottom line is that there are a finite number of different colors of G10 available. Stag Arms is just going to have to put on their big-boy pants and accept that a deep green G10 color, which it seems likely is already a production product, is not something they get to call exclusive to them across Spyderco's entire model line. Similarly you don't hear the british complaining that Spyderco has a Japanese made knife in a Japanese steel thats British Racing Green.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I voted for CF, but any of the colors in the proto picture would be fine by me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Slash wrote:I just have laugh at the s110v though. I think there's a good reason spyderco has stayed away from it. Getting the ht right is not an easy process and an expensive one to boot.
I don't get it. Sal said he was thinking about it. Many people got excited and are thinking about a preferred color.

Normally I would be in the same boat (because it's not exactly 154cm). If someone mentions wanting to take everyone out for ice cream which is the more reasonable response?

1.) Getting excited and thinking about your favorite flavor
2.) Laughing at the idea and assuming the person won't take you

Unless this is reverse psychology for Sal. In which case I agree, Spyderco doesn't have the guts to pull it off!

Note: I'm really not trying to take a jab at you. Just curious the logic because I'm sensing something between frustration and realism. Not sure though, none of us are fluent in internet. :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

I believe I read that Eric is heading the project. I also read a s110v mule in the works.

So, mule then feedback on the steel. Then decision for steel to be used for forum knife.

Then maybe some time next year a production date?

Who knows by then something better (steel wise) will get everyone exited to be used on a forum blade.

I don't find anything special about a steel that can't withstand an impact and is a pita to sharpen.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Strongly suspect you're right, but that's just a guess...
hunterseeker5 wrote:The bottom line is that there are a finite number of different colors of G10 available. Stag Arms is just going to have to put on their big-boy pants and accept that a deep green G10 color, which it seems likely is already a production product, is not something they get to call exclusive to them across Spyderco's entire model line. Similarly you don't hear the british complaining that Spyderco has a Japanese made knife in a Japanese steel thats British Racing Green.