Blue M390 Para 2 at my door

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

-F1 wrote:Thanks for the pics. Not my favorite shade of blue, but can't judge till I see it in hand. Wish I knew when that will happen. Ordered on 12/23 so I have a wait in front of me.

I'm not encouraged by the uneven blade grind mentioned by the OP. Is that what you get for $180? I know BBS says "All sales final", but that is really off-putting. What if I get a $180 knife with an off-center blade, or other defects?
That's what the Spyderco warranty is there for.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Just got mine. I like it. Already used it.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Gunslinger wrote: :mad: My mail man just handed me bills. Maybe tomarrow then. :D
That's all that I get too, bills, and they aren't even bills for spyderco knives. They're bills for silly stuff like heat, phones and electricity.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

BAL wrote:That's all that I get too, bills, and they aren't even bills for spyderco knives. They're bills for silly stuff like heat, phones and electricity.
Piff... who needs that....

Spydercos get you more bang for your buck anyway :cool:
Come Join Us Click Here
-F1

Post by -F1 »

-F1 wrote:What if I get a $180 knife with an off-center blade, or other defects?
JNewell wrote:That's what the Spyderco warranty is there for.
I figured someone would say this. But I have a real problem sending a brand-new $180 knife in for warranty service. I bought a GE camera the other day from Amazon. It had a defect. Back to Amazon it went. GE would have sent me a different used camera, which is not acceptable to me. I didn't buy a used product, I bought a new one. And that's what I expect to get--a new and non-defective product. I know Spyderco would not usually send me a different, used PM2. But I don't want the one I bought reground, tweaked, or whatever... The original point of mine had to do with Bento's policies, not Spyderco's.
Ankerson wrote:Those blades are sharpened by hand on a belt grinder, by a real person, not a machine so I wouldn't really expect 100% perfection 100% of the time.

If one wants perfection they really need to fork up some real money and go custom.... Perfection is something that one has to really pay for.
I don't expect 100% perfection (is there such a thing?). But I also really don't expect my new $180 US-made knife to have a blade that looks a lot sloppier than my $30 Tenacious from China.

It's pointless to go on, since I don't even have the thing yet. I expect I'll be happy with it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Defects happen in manufacturing. I recently had to return a knife that cost 3x this one for defective scale material. Yeah, it can be a hassle, but it can happen even on much pricier items.
:bug-red-white
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I didn't mean to cause a firestorm over the grind, as I'm fine with it. I like to reprofile my knives anyway, so for me it's not a huge deal. When I review a knife, I try to be completely honest and point out all the things I like and dislike, so you will rarely find a review I've written that doesn't find a flaw or two. Anyway, I wouldn't worry based on my knife. Since the edge grind is done by hand, each one will be different and it's highly likely that yours will be better than mine. Could mine have been more even? Certainly. Could is have also been less even? Certainly.

If anything, noticing this is a testament to the awareness and education I've gained from this forum. A few years ago you could have handed me this knife and I would have found it to be sharp and never been the wiser. But all the edge addicts here (you know who you guys are :p ) have made me acutely aware of how sharp a knife can be, what you can do with an edge, and how different steels respond to their edges. Fortunately, I've learned not only to notice the variances in edge angles, but have also gained a mediocre skill in changing them to be what I want.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

-F1 wrote:I figured someone would say this. But I have a real problem sending a brand-new $180 knife in for warranty service. I bought a GE camera the other day from Amazon. It had a defect. Back to Amazon it went. GE would have sent me a different used camera, which is not acceptable to me. I didn't buy a used product, I bought a new one. And that's what I expect to get--a new and non-defective product. I know Spyderco would not usually send me a different, used PM2. But I don't want the one I bought reground, tweaked, or whatever... The original point of mine had to do with Bento's policies, not Spyderco's.

I don't expect 100% perfection (is there such a thing?). But I also really don't expect my new $180 US-made knife to have a blade that looks a lot sloppier than my $30 Tenacious from China.

It's pointless to go on, since I don't even have the thing yet. I expect I'll be happy with it.
when humans are involved there are possibilities for human error, i have customs in the thousands of dollars sent out for issues. Please dont sweat the minor stuff :)
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

-F1 wrote:I figured someone would say this. But I have a real problem sending a brand-new $180 knife in for warranty service. I bought a GE camera the other day from Amazon. It had a defect. Back to Amazon it went. GE would have sent me a different used camera, which is not acceptable to me. I didn't buy a used product, I bought a new one. And that's what I expect to get--a new and non-defective product. I know Spyderco would not usually send me a different, used PM2. But I don't want the one I bought reground, tweaked, or whatever... The original point of mine had to do with Bento's policies, not Spyderco's.

I hear you on this F1. I bought the tan M4 Manix from Bento and this exact thing happened to me. I was going to call Bento, but saw there statement about contacting Spyderco.
The only thing I got to do with the knife was unbox if for inspection. I know these things happen, but it sure sucks to have to send in a brand new item on your dime. I had to send mine in for excessive lateral blade play. I tightened the pivot screw as much as possible which helped, but not enough.
I contacted Spyderco to see if I could just get another washer cause i am pretty sure that is just needs a washer. They told me that I had to send it in for inspection so they could determine if it could be fixed. They also stated that if you take the knife apart it voids the warranty and it could be more than just a washer. Different variables I guess.
So I sent it in and cost me another $9 to ship out plus they want a $5 deposit for return shipping in the event the issue is not covered under warranty. Right now they have a 2-3 wk turn around time.
So now I cannot even play with my new knife, I had to pay extra for it and wait for its return. :(

Luckily we all have others to hold us off in the meantime, but the situation really sucks.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mine came today. This is the first time I have handled a Para 2 with the updated compression lock. My other one is very early 2010 production with the first version of the PM2 lock. Just looking into the slot it is easy to see several differences. The finger tab is more forward than on the older one and the locking liner is much wider than that of the older one. Not thicker, but wider.

The difference in closing is tremendous. My older PM2 will only drop a few degrees when the tab is fully depressed, and then it catches on something definite within the mechanism. It was like this from new and lubrication has made zero difference. It does not affect real world performance, but I was disappointed that it did not drop shut like an Axis lock when the tab was depressed. I'm here to tell you that the new one does drop under its own weight when the tab is depressed, and it is a thing of joy!

Add in the fact that blue is my favorite color and that I have been itching to try M390 steel, and I am one happy camper. Plus it arrived earlier than expected.

I also noticed that Eric's mark is now to the left of the opening hole. On my other one his mark is to the right of Sal's mark, distal from the hole. This must have changed early on, as I have seen pics of Para2's with the separated marks on the forums.

This knife is an ideal sprint run platform; it is just so good that few will mind getting another one. Thank you, Spyderco.
46Alpha

Post by 46Alpha »

Blue Christmas :D

Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

awesome!! My 3 showed up today!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Got an e-mail that my (international) order has been shipped. Now the wait begins...
—Daniel Jackson
jkh

Post by jkh »

Im still having trouble pulling the trigger on this one.. I see people were preordering it in July.. Why is it still not sold out? i do like the blue tho!
organ

Post by organ »

I pre-ordered and I've gotten no billing/shipping invoice yet.
Bapple

Post by Bapple »

Got mine today! Took a few quick pics when I arrived home. Here it is with my also newly acquired Yo 2, and my EDC Para 2 S90V. Just finished stropping my S90V Para after a long weeks work, so I also figured I would strop up the new M390 Blue Para also. Usually just maintain my edges with white compound loaded leather, but with new blades, I strop the factory edge on black compound leather first, then finish on the white. Gives me a nice durable micro convex edge. Enough about the edges, here are the crappy pics I took! :D

wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Got mine today as well. First photo is a tad too light/bright - other photos comparing to my CTS-20CP PM2:

Just like with my CTS-20CP PM2, this one is very smooth, and very easy to use the lock (blade falls freely). And as with pretty much all Spydercos, this one came out of the box shaving paper sharp ;)

Will
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I decided to cut up a bunch of cardboard with my M390 Para 2 and my XHP Manix 2. I had seen pictures before of cardboard sliver piles and always thought that they must not have cut a lot, as the piles looked fairly small. Now that I've gone and done it myself, I have a new found respect for those 'small' piles. It takes a lot of time and cutting to make them.

I started off with the Para 2 (with a factory edge), intending to cut up the entire box (17.5x14x8.5) into slivers. To test it out, I cut off small pieces and rotated the cardboard being cut so that the knife would have a wide variety of angles relative to the corrugation: parallel, perpendicular, and everything in between. While I didn't count all my cuts, I did do two large test areas (14x8.5) that I counted, averaging 112.5 cuts each (110 and 115). By the time I finished half the box, I figured that I had made about 750-800 cuts with the M390 Para 2 and the edge was showing it. It required a lot more pressure to make the cuts. To eliminate fatigue as a factor, I decided to use my XHP Manix 2 to finish off the other half.

My XHP Manix 2 has been reprofiled to 30° inclusive with no secondary bevel. I touched it up on the fine rods on my Sharpmaker before cutting the cardboard. The first cuts were significantly easier than my now dulled Para 2. But as I continued cutting, I found that it seemed to require more force than the Para 2 had after a similar amount of cardboard cut. Towards the end, it felt like it was much harder to cut with, so I grabbed the dulled Para 2 for a side by side, cut by cut comparison. The Para 2, while not exceptionally sharp, still managed to cut through with less pressure.

Please don't take this as a direct comparison between steels (different blade shapes, one had factory edge and the other my own edge). I was just curious how the two would handle 750-800 cuts each through cardboard. While both were shaving sharp at the beginning, neither one could shave hair by the end of this.

I found the Para 2 to be quite a bit more comfortable, as it naturally fit my hand in a way that didn't cause discomfort. In the meantime, I had to continually adjust how I was holding the Manix 2. Again, this doesn't mean one is better than the other, but just that for me, personally, the Para 2 is a better fit. I touched them both up this morning, with the XHP Manix 2 getting 15 strokes per side x4 (medium stone edge, medium flat, fine edge, fine flat), bringing it back to hair shaving sharp. M390 is also a pleasure to sharpen, but I took a bit more time as I was working on my reprofile as well. It's not set all the way to 30° yet, but should get there with 3-4 more sharpenings. I really like this knife and, while not the greatest value (bang per buck), it's worth the money I spent and I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

How is BBS going to help you when the run has sold out and they have no inventory left to send you a new knife? :rolleyes:

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

mikerestivo wrote:Just got mine. I like it. Already used it.
Perfectly centered and perfect grinds, or so close I can't eyeball the difference. Blue appears the same as the Manix 2 rather than the smurfier blue of the Sage 3, with a coarser pattern that is going to give a great grip. Wrap that around an M390 blade with Spyderco's heat treat and this is a great knife at the price. Having the P2 out with each of the big three (S90V, 20CP and M390) makes the P2 the only knife you can currently do a like:like comparison with at this time. :cool: