Blue M390 Para 2 at my door

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

Beautiful. Wish I had the cash to throw down on this.
md8232

Post by md8232 »

It's getting closer.

Your item was processed through our HAZELWOOD, MO 63042 facility on December 30, 2011 at 12:04 am. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Zerimas wrote:They made an exception for this one. I put in an international pre-order myself. Speaking of international pre-orders, has anyone who put one in received any info from Bentobox? I have been diligently checking my email, but I haven't got any.
I was early on the pre-order list in July, and got a Paypal request from BBS with everyone else. I had some shipping questions, which delayed mine a few days, but got a tentative ship date from them for Saturday (31st Dec). They said they were a bit swamped by the big order, and is doing their best to work down the shipping backlog.

Now the wait begins... It will probably take 10-14 days to arrive in SA. Feel free to post many photos, it will relieve my agony. Somewhat... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Timbo114

Post by Timbo114 »

jabba,
thanks for photo #2 - it's my new wallpaper :D
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

in a huge fan of all these cool bright colors coming out from spyderco, even though i still carry a cf delica i love the colors and want to see more of them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Timbo114 wrote:jabba,
thanks for photo #2 - it's my new wallpaper :D
Here's a higher res copy that should work better for wallpaper:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... igger.jpg/
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I want more pics, bit if I get more, ill go through mass cravings for the knife. so freaking excited
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Alchemy1 wrote:WOW, the blue really POPS in the second picture. I really want/wanted one of these, but it's hard to justify the price now with the low cost of the orange para2.
I have to say I am on the same fence. I have never been a fan of BBS pricing. But I am a fan of blue and M390. Ahhh curse these decisions. I am in on the orange though.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Brock O Lee wrote:I was early on the pre-order list in July, and got a Paypal request from BBS with everyone else. I had some shipping questions, which delayed mine a few days, but got a tentative ship date from them for Saturday (31st Dec). They said they were a bit swamped by the big order, and is doing their best to work down the shipping backlog.

Now the wait begins... It will probably take 10-14 days to arrive in SA. Feel free to post many photos, it will relieve my agony. Somewhat... :)
I've only been on the pre-order list since November. I guess mine is no where near ready to ship? I am little concerned about the lack of updates, as BBS already has all of my money :eek: . I guess I shall shoot them an email.

:D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That's a nice picture of your tools. Too bad there is some knife in the way. :)

I guess it's a pretty cool knife though. :D

Congratulations.

Jack
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

jabba359 wrote:Here's a higher res copy that should work better for wallpaper:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... igger.jpg/
Jabba, the colors do pop, but looking at the royal blue PM2 in my hand I have to say that the color in the image is much brighter and lighter hue, more like the Sage 3 blue. Nice staging, though.

*Just dawned on me what the photo color looks most like; turquoise
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

jabba359 wrote:
Is it worth the money? That's hard to say. It is the most I've paid for a knife, but I really wanted to get some M390 in a folder and I really like the blue (which just so happens to be my favorite color). Sure the CS exclusive is quite a bit cheaper, but I've already got some orange (with my preorder Dodo soon to add yet another) and I've also got XHP in a folder (Manix 2). For me, to get this tone of blue, some M390, as well as a new-to-me model, it was close. I'm still on the edge as to whether it was worth the money, but once I get some use out of it and forget the hurt to my wallet, I'm pretty sure I'll say "Yes, it was worth it."
Like you said, in time you will forget about the money (mostly). If you didn't get the knife where would the money have gone? "Worth it" when talking about knives depends on why you want a knife (I think). Knives are built to cut stuff. You can get a great knife for $50 if all you want to do is cut, even hard use cutting. Those of you (us :) ) who spend more than $50 desire other stuff like comfort, smooth operation, great edge retention, beauty (sometimes), durability and long life, etc. Unless I want to sell a knife I try to forget what I paid for it and use it for what I bought it for. If I do that then it is worth it to me.

The money is gone. Enjoy the knife. Just don't tell anyone what you paid for it unless you enjoy the "You're a **** fool" look on someone's face. :D

Jack
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Zerimas wrote:I've only been on the pre-order list since November. I guess mine is no where near ready to ship? I am little concerned about the lack of updates, as BBS already has all of my money :eek: . I guess I shall shoot them an email.

Their correspondence is usually pretty fast, and they responded to my emails within hours. My best guess is that they receive batches of finished knives, and your order may be scheduled for another batch?

A friend of mine is into paragliding. He says they should call it parawaiting, because you normally spend hours waiting for the right conditions to launch, and then count your flight time in minutes.

I guess in this case we're all doing parawaiting! :D
Hans

-F1

Post by -F1 »

Thanks for the pics. Not my favorite shade of blue, but can't judge till I see it in hand. Wish I knew when that will happen. Ordered on 12/23 so I have a wait in front of me.

I'm not encouraged by the uneven blade grind mentioned by the OP. Is that what you get for $180? I know BBS says "All sales final", but that is really off-putting. What if I get a $180 knife with an off-center blade, or other defects?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

-F1 wrote:Thanks for the pics. Not my favorite shade of blue, but can't judge till I see it in hand. Wish I knew when that will happen. Ordered on 12/23 so I have a wait in front of me.

I'm not encouraged by the uneven blade grind mentioned by the OP. Is that what you get for $180? I know BBS says "All sales final", but that is really off-putting. What if I get a $180 knife with an off-center blade, or other defects?
On most knives the edge angles do change to a steeper angle towards the tip, that is done on purpose to strengthen the edge taking into count the distal taper on the blade.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

Ankerson wrote:On most knives the edge angles do change to a steeper angle towards the tip, that is done on purpose to strengthen the edge taking into count the distal taper on the blade.
A steeper overall angle, or is grinding with different angles done on purpose as well?
jabba359 wrote:It came nice and sharp with an even bevel for most of the blade, but the tip was ground at noticeably different angles.
Zerimas

Post by Zerimas »

Brock O Lee wrote:Their correspondence is usually pretty fast, and they responded to my emails within hours. My best guess is that they receive batches of finished knives, and your order may be scheduled for another batch?

A friend of mine is into paragliding. He says they should call it parawaiting, because you normally spend hours waiting for the right conditions to launch, and then count your flight time in minutes.

You were right about their correspondence: they emailed my back in 2 hours! Apparently it went out yesterday!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

-F1 wrote:A steeper overall angle, or is grinding with different angles done on purpose as well?
Would have to see the blade really.

Those blades are sharpened by hand on a belt grinder, by a real person, not a machine so I wouldn't really expect 100% perfection 100% of the time.

If one wants perfection they really need to fork up some real money and go custom.... Perfection is something that one has to really pay for.

On a user it won't really matter because they will even out over time with normal sharpenings.

For me I really don't care because the 1st thing I do when I get a knife is put my own edge on it before I use it, that's both production and customs.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Zerimas wrote:I've only been on the pre-order list since November. I guess mine is no where near ready to ship? I am little concerned about the lack of updates, as BBS already has all of my money :eek: . I guess I shall shoot them an email.

Their correspondence is usually pretty fast, and they responded to my emails within hours. My best guess is that they receive batches of finished knives, and your order may be scheduled for another batch?

Hans

JoePepper

Post by JoePepper »

Got mine yesterday.
Rule#9:Never go anywhere without a Spyderco
Delica4 G-10, Delica4 BRG ZDP189, Delica4 Blue ZDP189,Delica4 SuperBlue,Delica4 Black VG-10,Stretch VG-10,Stretch Blue ZDP189,Manix2 CTS-XHP,Manix2 M4,Black Paramilitary2 S30V,Gray Paramilitary2 CTS20CP,Blue Paramilitary2 M390,Orange Paramilitary2CTS-XHP,Black Dragonfly2,Orange Dragonfly2 , Dragonfly2 G-10,Gayle Bradley M4, Superhawk VG-10,Native III VG-10,Sage I,Yellow Tasman Salt,Centofante 4