Sharp Maker rod grit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vicinadp

Sharp Maker rod grit?

Post by Vicinadp »

Does anyone know where i could find the grit on the sharp maker rods because on the knife websites I frequent they just say things like fine and ultra fine grit?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Approx:

Medium:600
Fine: 1200
UF: 8000
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I thought the UF was double the fine??

I thought it was 600,1000,2000. But I don't know ether.
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

well that helps and kinda of makes me mad cause i just bought the uf rod and a waterstone that was 6000 grit thinking the uf rod was around 2000 grt but such as life
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The UF is approximately as fine as an EEF DMT but the important thing to note is that grit sizes don't necessarily translate to different abrasives.
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

I just bought the EEF DMT stone.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Vicinadp wrote:I just bought the EEF DMT stone.
When you get that stone broken in, you're set. :D

Well, that's until the dark side beckons once more and you get to thinking about strops. ;)
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Keep in mind the differences in rating scales and the equivalent numbers (e.g., micron, JIS, ANSI, FEPA, etc.). JIS 8000 is similar to ANSI 2000.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Vicinadp wrote:I just bought the EEF DMT stone.
I don't want to come off sounding like I think I know everything because I don't. I got an EEF DMT stone for my set of other stones that I had been using for over a year. Due to the break-in period the EEF stone was much coarser brand new than the fine stone. I went through the grit progression and after using the EF stone I used the EEF stone and put a deeper scratch pattern back on the bevel. I used a kitchen knife with a flat blade (to cover the entire surface of the stone) and sharpened it for long enough to get the EEF stone to get through the break-in process. I now suggest to people who are going to use DMT stones to get the finest stones they think they will ever want so they start getting broken in right along with the rest of the stones. If you are already aware of the break-in issue forget I mentioned it. :D
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't want to come off sounding like I think I know everything because I don't. I got an EEF DMT stone for my set of other stones that I had been using for over a year. Due to the break-in period the EEF stone was much coarser brand new than the fine stone. I went through the grit progression and after using the EF stone I used the EEF stone and put a deeper scratch pattern back on the bevel. I used a kitchen knife with a flat blade (to cover the entire surface of the stone) and sharpened it for long enough to get the EEF stone to get through the break-in process. I now suggest to people who are going to use DMT stones to get the finest stones they think they will ever want so they start getting broken in right along with the rest of the stones. If you are already aware of the break-in issue forget I mentioned it. :D
This has been my experience also.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

About eight years ago I took a known grit abrasive, a 600 grit DMT pad (of which I had three at the time) and sharpened ten OLFA razor blades. I then cut very fine thread on a push, 1/4" poly on a slice and 3/8" hemp on a push and a slice. I also checked the edge under 100X magnification.

I then repeated the sharpening on the medium and fine rods, and repeated all the cutting. From the measurements on the cutting and checking the edges under magnification, and knowing the 600 grit DMT rod is 25 microns, I would estimate that the medium rods are 12.5 microns and the fine rods are 6.5 microns.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I think I recall sal saying there is no official grit on ceramic, its more a comparison of scratch pattern compared to , say, a stone