Handguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bradley

Handguns

Post by Bradley »

Hello everyone, I've been looking at handguns recently. I'm interested in Glocks but really know nothing about them. Can you beat them for their price? I'm looking at 9mm, however I'm open to explore different calibers. What do you think. Oh and it will be for target shooting, possible concealed carry at some point. Thanks in advance.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I don't have a Glock, but my buddy who's an officer for the Houston PD swears by them. They are reliable, simple, and decently priced. I personally have a 9mm Springfield Armory XDm and love it. While some people say the stopping power of a .45 is better, the ammo is much cheaper for 9mm which means you can get a lot more practice in. And what's the point of a more powerful round if you can't practice with it to get good enough to hit what you're aiming for? A well placed 9mm round is going to be much more effective than a .45 that doesn't hit its target.

My best advice is to go to a good gun range/shop, hold the ones you're considering, narrow it down to a couple, and then rent them and shoot them and make your decision based on which one fits you best. That's the great thing about most gun ranges, you can try the different guns (and calibers) and get a much better feel for what works for you.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Thanks for the advice man :)
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Kel-Tec PF9. 9mm, under a pound fully loaded. 7+1 capacity. Conceals nicely and is currently the thinnest gun on the market in 9mm. (Don't hold me to that) Oh and the kicker, you can get one for under $300. So cheap gun, cheap ammo, means more ammo, more practice. Its also made in America if you care about that.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Glocks are the type of gun that you either love or hate. I personally love them. You can get guns for different reasons, but pound for pound you can't beat a Glock. I have a Beretta 92 Enox (stainless steel) that is beautiful and a very good gun. There are many guns that are nice looking and appealing to the eye. However, when my family's life and mine are on the line, (knock on wood as they say and hope it never happens) I want something that is 100% reliable that I can trust. Glocks are used by more law enforcement teams than any other gun and that means alot to me. One negative that many will say, is that they are ugly, thick and all of the models look the same. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like the solid thick grip. By all models looking the same, that means if you have one and know how to use it and know where everything is on the gun, then you can pick up a Glock of any caliber and you know to use it. They have all of the normal calibers and in each caliber there is a full size, compact and subcompact. The magazines are cheaper than any other gun type and the bigger magazines will fit in the smaller gun. In other words, a Glock 26 holds a 10 round magazine, but it will also hold a 12, 15, 17 and 33 round mag. I have a G26 (subcompact) and G19,(compact), both are 9mm. The Glock 17 is the full size 9mm version, but you can put a mag extension on the G19 and it feels like the G17, except you have a slightly shoter site line, (dist. between the sites). Anyway, I have quite a few handguns in different calibers, brands etc, but the Glock is the one that I trust the most. Happy shopping.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I personally would recommend a 9mm handgun. Many will say that you need a 40 or 45, and while I will agree that a 45 has more stopping power, ther is nothing wrong with 9mm. There are so many choices now in hollow point 9mm ammo, that it is quite capable of doing the job. I have heard people say that they wouldn't trust anything other than a 45, and than 9mm was too small, but they have never let me shoot them with a little 9mmHP to proove their point. To me the main thing is bullet placement and practice is the best way to improve this. 9mm ammo is more common and the price is much much cheaper than 40, 45 or even 380. You can but the best ammo that you can get for personal protection and keep a mag or two loaded for this reason. Then you can buy cheaper ammo for plinking and target practiice. I have never had one failure to fire in any Glock and I have shot the cheapest ammo that I could get for plinking. If you get a gun for pesonal prtection, just give proper time to think about it and don't make a hasty decision based on some guy behind the counter. They are afterall human (well most of them) and they have their own opinions. You need to get the gun that YOU like, not the one that I like, or anyone else, just you.
lamorak

Post by lamorak »

It depends on what you want to do with it: go to the range and have fun, home defense, bear protection when you want to go hiking, conceal carry, go to war?
Going to the range, you might have more fun with a Ruger Mark 3 or a 1911; home defense, a Glock 22 with a flash light is a good option; bear protection: Glock 20; conceal carry probably a KelTec PF-9; go to war gun: Glock 17 ...
You should also probably go to a range and try out the gun you want to purchase, a Springfield XD might be a better choice for you than a Glock.
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I just wish glock would change the angle on their pistols. That's why I bought an xdm. The grip is at a better angle. My buddy swears by glock. I swear by XDm. Springfield just released the XDm competition model with a 5.25" barrel. Match grade to. In 9mm. Maybe something to consider.
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

On the topic of grip angles many people choose XDs/XDMs/M&Ps because of their grip angle being the same as a 1911. When you have one and practice with it than almost any gun with the same grip angle will point more naturally than a gun with a different grip angle. That being said Glocks are some of the most reliable pistols you can buy and there is a lot of uniformity between them if you want to try different ones. They just aren't for me. I would suggest you look at any 9mm Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, or the Springfield Armory XD or XD(M).
Spyder Count: 7
r small

Post by r small »

I don't like striker fired autos. Too easy for accidental discharge. The cops in the city where I live carry Glocks and every now and then one of them manages to shoot themselves in the leg. Never hear about this sort of thing with double action autos or revolvers. Personally I think the best firearm for concealed carry is a small frame .38 revolver like the S&W J frame. Easy to carry in a pocket, fires a reasonably potent round, and is as idiot-proof as a firearm can be.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I agree with the statement made...Glocks..people either love em or hate em....they are not in my favorite bunch of handguns....9mm is not the best caliber to carry for serious defensive work, it's better than nothing but there is better out there....For the beginner and for the most advanced shooter I always suggest a revolver.....357 magnum to be exact...it can shoot .38 specials and you can work your way up to stronger and more powerful loads of ammo as you get better and better. If you must have a semi-jamatic, then I'd look at the Sigs, it's more money but worth the price.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
r small

Post by r small »

Some of the Smith J frames are chambered for .357. They're a handful to shoot though. I've shot magnums through my steel frame J and it's not much fun. Can't imagine shooting magnums through one of the lightweight models. But .38 +P is a decent round. Probably about at the level of a 9 mm. Speaking of 9 mm I agree that Sigs are the pick of the litter. I have a compact model (P239) that I put over 1,000 rounds through without a hitch. I would trust this gun with my life. It's a little too big and heavy for pocket carry though, so I usually carry a J frame Smith (I'm a civilian with a CCP).
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I hate glocks... uncomfortable, ugly, safety is in the trigger (not the best in my mind). Im a 1911 guy. A steel frame 1911 .45 will feel like a glock 9mm in recoil. Any firearm I own HAS to have a physical safety for me to feel comfortable carrying it with one in the chamber. A Single action 1911 has the best trigger in the business, BAR NONE! A good trigger is paramount for accuracy. A 1911's trigger is several pounds lighter, and has to travel 1/3 the distance as the glock trigger (or most other striker fired pistols), giving you less chance to disturb your sight picture. A trigger break on a 1911 has often been compared to the feel of breaking a small glass rod, feels like perfection! + if you like to customize your stuff, a 1911 cant be beat!

To each his own, handguns are just as personal a choice as knives. Also as another mentioned, your choice is highly dependent on what you want to do with it. I carry a Sig p238, and keep a Kimber Raptor on my nightstand.
BAL

Post by BAL »

DCDesigns wrote:I hate glocks... uncomfortable, ugly, safety is in the trigger (not the best in my mind). Im a 1911 guy. A steel frame 1911 .45 will feel like a glock 9mm in recoil. Any firearm I own HAS to have a physical safety for me to feel comfortable carrying it with one in the chamber. A Single action 1911 has the best trigger in the business, BAR NONE! A good trigger is paramount for accuracy. A 1911's trigger is several pounds lighter, and has to travel 1/3 the distance as the glock trigger (or most other striker fired pistols), giving you less chance to disturb your sight picture. A trigger break on a 1911 has often been compared to the feel of breaking a small glass rod, feels like perfection! + if you like to customize your stuff, a 1911 cant be beat!

To each his own, handguns are just as personal a choice as knives. Also as another mentioned, your choice is highly dependent on what you want to do with it. I carry a Sig p238, and keep a Kimber Raptor on my nightstand.
Hey DC, I would like to have a Kimber Raptor, it's on my wishlist, but the price is a little wicked. Can't buy as many spyders if I get one. Sig makes some nice guns, but the price is a bit high as well. Any time I consider pulling the trigger (so to speak) on a Kimber Raptor, I keep thinking that I can get a Glock SF21 for less than half the price. Agreed it's not as nice looking, but I am just an old farmboy that don't need anything too fancy. I'd have to use is an a night stand gun as well. Hate to carry it around out in the brush. Anyway, take care.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I agree with the statement made...Glocks..people either love em or hate em....they are not in my favorite bunch of handguns....9mm is not the best caliber to carry for serious defensive work, it's better than nothing but there is better out there....For the beginner and for the most advanced shooter I always suggest a revolver.....357 magnum to be exact...it can shoot .38 specials and you can work your way up to stronger and more powerful loads of ammo as you get better and better. If you must have a semi-jamatic, then I'd look at the Sigs, it's more money but worth the price.....Doc :D
Hey Doc, I used to be a revolver guy, and still have several. My favorite is a Smith & Wesson Model 66 stainless steel, wood grips 357 Magnum. When I started carrying, I started liking semi's more, mainly the Glock. I like the ability to change magazines easier. I keep a mag or two with Glaser safety slugs or hollow point for personal protection, and a few mags for just shooting. Whatever a person gets or uses, they need to practice and be totally comfortable with. The wife is a revolver person like you, but she did decide to carry a semiauto, because she wanted a safety. She took her carry test with a Glock, but doesn't like the feel for carry.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Smith and Wesson sigma. Can be had for $300. I have 20,000 rounds in mine with zero FTF. I got mine for $299 with 4 mags. Great gun.
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

dcdesigns wrote:i hate glocks... Uncomfortable, ugly, safety is in the trigger (not the best in my mind). Im a 1911 guy. A steel frame 1911 .45 will feel like a glock 9mm in recoil.
I disagree based on many years of experience. But you didn't state the 1911 type: Stock, comp'd, light or heavy recoil spring, etc.
a 1911's trigger is several pounds lighter, and has to travel 1/3 the distance as the glock trigger (or most other striker fired pistols), giving you less chance to disturb your sight picture. On the first shot, perhaps, for a novice. In practice, the pre-travel of the trigger is pre-loading the striker spring. Once that happens, the break isn't bad at all and almost never noticeable when firing quickly. (and you meant to say sight alignment)
js
Javascript

Post by Javascript »

r small wrote:I don't like striker fired autos. Too easy for accidental discharge. The cops in the city where I live carry Glocks and every now and then one of them manages to shoot themselves in the leg. Never hear about this sort of thing with double action autos or revolvers. Wives tale. The Glock striker is prohibited from moving just like the 1911 firing pin unless the trigger is being pulled (except for older 1911's).
Personally I think the best firearm for concealed carry is a small frame .38 revolver like the S&W J frame. Easy to carry in a pocket, fires a reasonably potent round, and is as idiot-proof as a firearm can be.
Surely you own one.
js
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Bradley, glad to hear you are getting interested in handguns! I am particularly happy to hear that you are considering going the CC route. Choosing to take advantage of your 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms is a good thing, if you ask me (which you didn't, but what is the internet for if not unsolicited advice from anonymous strangers :p ). That said, I think you might be looking for a magic bullet (a little pun intended). There isn't one handgun that is good for all things. I own and frequently carry a glock, and a 1911, and a revolver (also a M66... mighty fine taste you've got BAL by the way). Developing a gun habit is similar to developing a spydie habit... only way more expensive :D . I like Doc's philosophy concerning the .357. You get the option to load .38s. That sorta makes that chambering the closest thing to a perfect set up. Bill Jordan (who was incidentally involved in designing the S&W M66) even once admitted that when he envisioned a K frame magnum he always intended it to be "shot mostly with .38, carried mostly with .357".

On the other hand, revolvers have a fatal downside... ammunition capacity. Well, two fatal downsides... the aforementioned and reload time. By my estimation... exactly zero people that will read this are Jerry Miculek (unless one is... at which time, may I just say, you sir are awesome :p ). It took a lot of time and a lot of practice before I could work a speedloader in such a way that might even theoretically be useful. I know that some might point out that most defensive shootings don't involve reloading a firearm. That is a valid point. Equally valid is that something like 80% of people with GSWs survive the experience. In the state of Texas, CHL holders are taught that you shoot until the thread is neutralized. That could take several solid hits. It also occurs to me that as good as I am at punching little holes in paper... people generally refuse to stay in one place while you shoot at them (I know, jerks :p ). I want more than 6 rounds at my disposal most of the time because I acknowledge that I likely will not score a 100% hit rate with a handgun in a high stress situation.

The flip side is a hi cap polymer number like the Glock or the XD with a smaller caliber chambering. The G17 carries 17 rounds in the normal factory magazines and 1 in the pipe if you are so inclined. Most steel frame autos (Beretta 92 series and the Sig 226 for sure) give you 15+1 in 9mm varients, 13+1 in .40. What's more, with a relatively minor amount of practice in basic weapons handling... a reload on an auto takes almost no time. Once again, to those who say that defensive shooting engagements don't tend to involve that many rounds being exchanged... valid point. Riposte: no matter what pistol you carry, malfunctions can and will happen. In some cases, the immediate and remedial actions you take to clear a malfunction involve dropping the magazine and replacing it. Even acknowledging that gunfights tend to be less John Woo and more last-five-minutes-of-reservoir-dogs, having a spare mag and learning how to reload quickly is an important gun handling skill.

I kind of think that 1911's are their own category of handgun. I personally love them. They carry a high enough number (8+1) of great big fat .45 caliber bullets to make me feel comfortable. I've been shooting them all my life, so manipulating the thumb safety and engaging the grip safety is second nature. It is a great big, heavy, steel pistol (which I find comforting, but many find uncomfortable). It shoots accurately, reloads quickly, operates reliably, and points right at a target with very little conscious involvement on my end. The other side of the 1911 coin is that some find the recoil excessive, the trigger too light, the magazines too low capacity, the tear down complicated, and the redundant manual safeties difficult. To those people... you are looking for the Glock aisle :p :p . Point being, it is a gun that takes some getting used to. You have to become adroit at engaging and disengaging the safeties, controlling the recoil, reloading the thinner single stack mags, etc. etc. before you can carry it and expect it to help you should the worst happen.

There are also your subcompact and pocket gun types of firearms... but I don't care for them, so I have no useful advice on the subject, I defer to the others here who have had more and better experiences :) .

Er... I've begun rambling, so I'll try to wrap this up. Bradley, if you like the look of Glocks... go buy one. They tend to retain most of their resale value if they aren't abused (most I said, not all... and they definitely don't appreciate :p ). If you don't like it, put it up on consignment and buy a different pistol or revolver. Most likely, you will like it as a carry... but it won't be QUITE what you want for the range on fun days (as opposed to practice days... because you should set time aside for both of those if your ammo budget permits). So, you'll buy something else as well. Not unlike a spydie habit, once again (well... not unlike my spydie habit anyway... yours may differ :D ). If you have a range nearby that is attached to a gunstore (or just rents guns to customers)... all the better. See if they will let you try out an assortment. Whatever happens, I wish you all the best and hope that your foray into the world of handguns and concealed carry goes swimmingly!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
BAL

Post by BAL »

Hey Javascript. Definately wives tale, no doubt.
Also, the line "surely you own one"... Classic, very nice.