Do you close your Manix with one hand or two?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
crispeto

Do you close your Manix with one hand or two?

Post by crispeto »

I figured out how to close it with one hand but I still don't seem as confident as when I close my Sage or Tenacious. How do you guys mostly do it?
MCM

Post by MCM »

(1)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Mentaculous

Post by The Mentaculous »

I use one hand, and just let it swing shut. I have done it many times so I automatically get my fingers out of the way--it helps for me to grip the clip with my 3 fingers that aren't gripping the lock release. I used to be kind of scared of the momentum of the blade and how it swings shut so suddenly, so I would just release it for a split second, let it fall halfway, then let go and let the ball bearing re-engage. Then I would close it the rest of the way manually in a very controlled manor. It's a good compromise if you want to close it one-handed, but still are a bit apprehensive.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

One handed.
Googz

Post by Googz »

+1 Locks like the one on the Manix are my favorite because you can one hand close without touching the blade.
Orange Manix 2, Purple Endura, Foliage Green G10 Dragonfly, Leaf storm + more in the near future
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

One handed, you can pull the ball lock back with your thumb on one side and middle finger on the other and push the blade shut with your index finger. Or you can do as others have said and pull the lock back with your thumb and middle finger and swing the blade shut. :cool:
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
crispeto

Post by crispeto »

Cool, I feel better now. I didn't know if it was normal to just let it fall close like that. I actually use my pointer finger with my thumb. Seems to work.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One hand. Just pinch the handle between your palm and your pinky/ring/middle finger and use your thumb and index finger on the lock and let it drop down shut. If it's too tight you might need to swing it shut some.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

One hand. Not a fan of uncontrolled drop closings. I use thumb and middle finger to release the ball and the index finger to close the blade.
angusW

Post by angusW »

One hand here. Use the index finger and thumb. I've never thought of using the middle finger. Something is wrong with me. I tried it a couple of times and can't do it :o
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

One handed... carefully.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The Mentaculous wrote:I use one hand, and just let it swing shut. I have done it many times so I automatically get my fingers out of the way--it helps for me to grip the clip with my 3 fingers that aren't gripping the lock release.
+1 thats how I do it too. Happens automatically now...never even nicked a finger.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've only handled one Manix and within a couple of minutes got comfortable closing it one handed. I have another knife that the lock release is exactly like the Manix (different lock) but you only need to use my thumb and closing it is very fast. Needing the other finger is a tiny tiny bit inconvenient but easily gotten used to. I have to think that needing to pull both buttons at once is part of the design of the ball bearing lock because if it could be closed with just the thumb Spyderco would have designed it that way (I'm assuming).

Jack
DeathBySnooSnoo

I think too that if it were easy to do with one hand...more fingers would have been cut off by now ;) That Manix blade is SO smooth and free and weighs enough that if you got your fingers caught in there I bet you'd have some serious bleeding going on...
On the hunt for...
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Yep, my Manix 2 bit me within 1.5 seconds of me taking it out of the box :) . I'd read of questions about the difficulty of closing it, so I pulled on the lock release... while the blade was pointing up and my other fingers were gripping the handle, the blade swung down and got me :) .

I can't open/close my manixes (manii?) as absent-mindedly as I can my back-lock spyderco's, but I do use one hand - usually pointing the blade down, release the lock, then rotate my hand so the handle is actually coming down to the blade. Otherwise I don't like the blade swinging freely shut if I'm not actually looking at the blade.
DeathBySnooSnoo

I hold it up, but since my fingers are tucked up holding the clip, I never get my fingers in the way, so I think that I can close it faster than my back locks.
On the hunt for...
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

One hand. I usually close the back of the blade against my leg while squeezing the release.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

One hand. Hold it horzontal, pull the CBBL back and let the blade swing down. Fingers obviously not in the way. Wish I could do it with just my thumb, but I cant - gotta use thumb and index finger.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I do it one-handed, and sometimes with just the thumb, though if it is very fatigued I would have a hard time actuating the lock with said thumb.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

rodloos wrote:Yep, my Manix 2 bit me within 1.5 seconds of me taking it out of the box :) . I'd read of questions about the difficulty of closing it, so I pulled on the lock release... while the blade was pointing up and my other fingers were gripping the handle, the blade swung down and got me :) .
I did that with my first Manix 2 also. I was holding it straight out, pulled the release and the blade swung down and back onto my finger. :rolleyes: Dummy...

I like to tighten up my Manix 2s to where the blade barely moves by gravity alone. A small shake and it closes half way and only if I initiate movement. I can add more motion and it will close all the way but then I move my fingers out of the way before I initiate.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: