Nok Training Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Nok Training Knives

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay everyone: A couple of months ago KaliGman turned me on to a unique training knife called the Nok. Designed by Guro Randy Hodges and handmade by his wife (who everyone calls Nok) made from Beautiful Hardwood from Thailand. (Some Pics below). I was so impressed with these training knives I bought like $500 worth of them and planned to do a workshop in it's uses for my Law Enforcement Students as well as my regular Kung Fu and Tai Chi Students. That workshop will take place this Sunday. I also got some extra ones to sell in my store right along with the knives on display. I can't begin to describe what an awesome training device this is, and what an awesome Self-Defense tool the Nok can be. The following blurb in direct from my training notes for the workshop to be given. Some of the wordage is taken directly from Randy Hodges, some of it is my own, but it will give you a good idea about what I'm referring to.

1. The Nok is a tool that has instant secure access (This solves the problem or which is faster fixed blade or folder, thumb stud, hole, power assist or wave.) The Nok carries in the palm of the hand by an elastic cord around the middle finger without having to be held by the fingers. It allows you full use of your hand for everyday tasks and is accessed simply by closing the hand. There are lots of everyday uses for the Nok as a bag carrier, open a tab on a can of soda, flush a toilet in a public restroom or just an extra sharp finger and claw for tasks that having a sharp claw would make easier like opening a plastic bag of chips or even your mail envelopes. Its everyday uses are as wide as your imagination.

2. The Nok is a tool that can securely and naturally switch grips on the fly under a pressured attack. (This solves the which grip is better debate) There is a huge debate about which grip is better in a blade encounter forward or reverse. The truth is that each has their strengths and weakness. The problem is that with a traditional blade if you start the encounter in one grip you are forced to stay in that grip and deal with that grips limitation in use as switching grips in the middle of the exchange is much to risky. The Nok switches grips instantly, without thought, at maximum speed, and during maximum pressure from your attacker letting you always have the option of the most efficient strike from where ever your hand is positioned. The switch happens on the move to your next chamber or position, so it doesn’t take anymore time to do then if you were striking with a traditional blade.

3. The Nok is a tool that can go from empty hand, to SD tool, and back to empty hand again instantly, (This solves the problem that a knife just ties up your hand and furthermore you aren't going to know that your opponent in a surprise attack has a weapon until after he attacks you).
With the Nok you are free to react empty hand to his first attack and when you recognize he has a weapon, yours is in your hand already when you close your fingers. If you need to make a Slash, stab, block, grab, pin or trap with your Nok you are free to do so without having to worry about dropping your weapon. The Nok can switch to 9 different positions ( I found 10 different positions :) ) very rapidly.

4. The Nok is sheeple friendly. (Which solves the problem, I can't carry a knife because people will look at me funny or think me crazy), The Nok is made from Thailand’s hardest wood that has had the tips soaked in resin for strength (they can even be thrusted through a magazine without any difficulty, let alone the human body. The Noks are easy to keep needle sharp and because they are made of wood people pay them little or know attention and best of all they don't see them as a weapon at first glance.
5. The Nok is easy to maintain. If you hit a hard object and the tip of your Nok becomes blunt you can bring the point back to sharpness with the aid of a nail file emery board or some very fine sandpaper.

The Nok was first designed as a tool to carry in your check hand to give an edge in keeping your attacker off and away from you while giving you time to accessing your live blade or firearm….. But as you work with the Nok you will discover what a powerful self-defense hand tool it really is. It will give you four times the options at any given moment in an exchange then a traditional blade. This is because you can instantly switch between empty hand, point impact and grip changes. It teaches you to blend your empty hand, forward and reverse grip knife skills and fist hold impact tool techniques into one congruent fighting style.

The Nok at the top of the photo is the Talon Trainer, with it's blunt tip it allows you to practice real time without the risk of puncturing your partner.
The second is the Talon with it's point (both are cushioned on the side for a comfortable grip) Called a live model as it can be pocket carried for personal self-defense, and especially for a time when a live blade or firearm might not be permitted. The Talon is 6" long...the pic is very misleading as to size and it fits comfortably in any size hand.
The Third is a special model called the Spur, you are posed to wear this model on your ring finger in your grip of choice, though it was not meant for spinning IMHO when on the middle finger it spins quite well. It has a unique feature that the elastic cord to the front of the model allows you to carry your Spur on your waist by clipping it under your belt loop of your pants, so it carries horizontally, a simple tug on the butt end and the elastic snaps free of the model and the Spur is right into your hand fast.
The last model is called the Falcon, seen first in it's folded position, also worn on the waist but when you pull it out..it snaps open into the bottom pic, so that you have both Forward and Pikal grip without having to spin or switch positions of grip....Now how cool is that!...I'll let you all know how the workshop goes. Nok also makes some real good training knives that can be used real time during your training without the risk of injury associated with metal trainers...Also seen on her site......
How are we going to train using the Nok at my workshop...well here is a small glimpse of the first training concept (just a tease) from my notes....enjoy!....Doc :)

The first principle you must understand is that even if you have a knife and cut your opponent, he may continue to fight. How many people here have ever cut themselves and not even realized that they cut themselves, and were surprised to find out you were indeed bleeding. Now the fighting principle I want to instill in you during this workshop is that people retract from things that prick them. It is natures response to protect the body from punctures. So even if you stick yourself with a pin, step on a tack or prick yourself with a thorn from a rose bush your first reaction to retract your hand, body, foot etc. from whatever comes in contact with something that is going to puncture the skin. When working with the Nok we want to ensure that our opponent retreats as quickly as possible, the sharp point on the Nok will ensure that your opponent does so. Remember a Bear’s Claw is not sharp…it’s just very pointy. Think of all the things that a bear can shred to pieces using his pointy claws. We are going to employ that natural reaction of retraction from getting punctured to most of our techniques that are taught today. When we can make our opponent retract we can then open him up, and clear a path to gain the inside advantage for counter attack, and turn the tables quickly on them, or we can make our opponent retract to create space and an avenue for escape and run away to safety. There is a story about a Mafia Hit man who lived in NYC and operated in the mid 30’s. He never carried a gun, he never carried a knife to assassinate his intended victim. What he did carry was a sharp pointed metal nail file. He would just nonchalantly walk up to his mark and quickly stab them on the back of their hand, when his victim would pull his hand away and look down at the source of his pain, he would then deliver a devastating upwards rising palm strike to the person’s chin, causing instant death as the cervical dens (the bones which hold the head to the spinal column ) where severed, basically causing what we all know as whiplash to occur. He was a most successful assassin.......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
KaliGman

Nok

Post by KaliGman »

Glad you like the tools, Doc.

Here is a YouTube video I did with some of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pflxJqqZ1tE

I hope the training goes well.

Take care,

Jon
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Great video Jon....I must admit I am having so much fun with these wooden Noks...they are simply awesome tools...Jon gifted me an original Peregrine model Nok prototype made by Nok and since it arrived in the mail I haven't put it down..it goes everywhere with me and never gets even a look from anyone....they are so so cool...Tommorrow's workshop is going to be awesome...Thanks Jon for turning me on to the Nok and introducing me to the great people at Nok Training Knives....Nok Hodges is a real sweetheart (quite the skilled knife fighter too) and a real pleasure to do business with....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Milkman

Post by Milkman »

I have a couple of the Nok tools and training knives, and I give them a wholehearted recommendation. You could also give some to the females of your family to use as stealth SD hair pieces.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Milkman wrote:I have a couple of the Nok tools and training knives, and I give them a wholehearted recommendation. You could also give some to the females of your family to use as stealth SD hair pieces.
It's a great idea Milkman, the female population would be served well by any of the models produced by Nok. These Noks are not only terrific for the trained Martial Artist, but for wives and daughters who might be gun shy or blade phobic. They would probably make good stocking stuffers this Christmas for the females in your life. My wife has been playing around with the Talon and Spur for a couple of weeks now and I noticed she slipped one into her purse and another into her outer coat pocket. Anytime a female is willing to arm themselves against the potential of evil...it's a good thing!....Doc :D

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just a short report on the Nok workshop I gave today...The students who attended just loved those Noks....My Law Enforcement Agents who attended were really impressed with just how powerful a sharpened pointy thingy made of wood was able to control large people with no effort at all. We did most of the workshop using the Talon Trainer with it's rounded point for safety, and that was a good thing or we would have many puncture injuries as students were working technique in real time. For some control and restraint techniques I allowed students to use their "Live Model" pointy Talons for the grapples. For example grasping someone's thumb with the Nok in hand and bending it so the point went into their partner's wrist....Ouch Ouch Ouch!....Or grabbing the opponent in an inverted Chinese Wrist lock while digging the point of the Nok into their forearm for control....Needless to say most everyone spent a good time checking out their puncture wounds over and over and couldn't believe how effective the Nok was in those techniques and I must add everyone did those techniques slowly and with much care not to injure their partners, but they had injuries anyway...Everyone commented that the Nok was easy to manipulate and was super fast in making grip changes. Best of all the students reported that they were really fun to manipulate..One Law Enforcement Agent was so impressed with the Talon that he bought every different model I had for sale and said he was going to start carrying them on the job starting tonight. I could see pure excitement as the student rapidly switched through the Nok's grip changes. Several student commented that they felt like an instant expert with the Nok, and where making lighting fast changes in grip positions for chambered strikes and that was only after about one half hour working with the tool...All in all I'd say everyone was quite happy with what they learned. Interesting that every person (cept 1) who took the workshop and got a free talon model just for signing up, bought another Nok model to take home and train with. So I'd say they were quite impressed and excited.....Doc :D

2cha

Post by 2cha »

I love KaliGman videos,....

Thanks Doc for sharing this fascinating tool.
amok_nok

Post by amok_nok »

Hi Everyone.
Thank you Dr. for such kind words about my SF tools. I'm happy that everything worked out so well for you. I am really proud of Randy's designs he does for me. They are designed with wives and daughters in mind. We live in a country that they will steal your child and cut her legs off and teach her to beg. Not to mention the pedophile capital of the world. Randy never sends my daughter out without something she can access to defend herself.

Here is something I just finished last night.
Randy has been wanting to design an impact tool for me for a long time so he finally sat down and came up with a prototype and from that I made the final designs. The THREE and CEE. They have a rounded blunt end and on the other end a sharp edge.

The foam on the front and back give it a really secure grip and nice look I think. . I added an access loop on each end letting you carry it any where and give you the option of quickly accessing it with the sharpened edge up or down. The retention loop will allow you to switch grips from sharpened edge up or down.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. AMOK! Your sister Nok
The THREE has a length of 5 1/2" and the CEE a length of 4"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

amok_nok wrote:Hi Everyone.
Thank you Dr. for such kind words about my SF tools. I'm happy that everything worked out so well for you. I am really proud of Randy's designs he does for me. They are designed with wives and daughters in mind. We live in a country that they will steal your child and cut her legs off and teach her to beg. Not to mention the pedophile capital of the world. Randy never sends my daughter out without something she can access to defend herself.

Here is something I just finished last night.
Randy has been wanting to design an impact tool for me for a long time so he finally sat down and came up with a prototype and from that I made the final designs. The THREE and CEE. They have a rounded blunt end and on the other end a sharp edge.

The foam on the front and back give it a really secure grip and nice look I think. . I added an access loop on each end letting you carry it any where and give you the option of quickly accessing it with the sharpened edge up or down. The retention loop will allow you to switch grips from sharpened edge up or down.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. AMOK! Your sister Nok
The THREE has a length of 5 1/2" and the CEE a length of 4"
Ay Nok, Nice to see you on Spyderco forum Knifesis!...Very Interesting new design you have there in the Three and CEE, Good Luck with it!.....Doc :D

amok_nok

Post by amok_nok »

Hi Dr here's a video Randy made yesterday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjqh7_KCu0
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Cool Video Nok...I like Randy's shirt!....The Three and Cee makes a lot of sense...can't wait to get my hands on one and put it through the paces...Thanks for sharing the Video....Doc ;) :cool: :D

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Nok, I noticed on your web-site you are now offering the Nok "Chick" and Nok "OffSpring" is there anything special I would want to know about these two new Noks. I think they are really nice designs...I was wondering if you are planning a model with elastic for spinning grip changes, seems like they might work well on these two.......Doc :D

amok_nok

Post by amok_nok »

The Offspring is designed for reverse grip edge in . The Chick is just a nasty little stabber. I've really become a fan of this handle shape. It butts into the palm for very powerful stabs and in reverse grip the thumb naturally rolls over the top .The hooked shape makes for very secure and quick accessing. The handles are a bit short to aid in switching the grips .
easyselfdefense

Post by easyselfdefense »

My favorite Nok designs are the compact ones like the CEE. I have CEEs and THREEs available for sale at http://easyselfdefense.webs.com/
I will also be offering the Owl, Chick and Offspring within the next 3 weeks.
Rob