Help deciding!!!! Paramill or Military?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BloodGroove4570

Help deciding!!!! Paramill or Military?????

Post by BloodGroove4570 »

Hey all, i recently got the Endura4 vg10 and Stretch CF zdp189, i like both but like the size of endura better, now looking at the military or paramilitary. how do these compare in hand to the endura? I know most folks say the mili is BIG but how much more so than endura4?It will be used for edc and woods walks, any help is appreciated thanks.
Frapiscide

Post by Frapiscide »

I don't have an Endura to compare to, but the Millie is 9.5 inches in overall length and the Para 2 is 8.25 inches, whereas the Endura is 8.75. Both of which are very ergonomic.

Here are some pics of them in my hand, 3 5/16 in palm width, 7.25 in from wrist to tip of middle finger:

DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

IMO the Endura and Military handles are two very different animals. The smooth lines of the Military handle allow you to position your hand comfortably anywhere on the handle. For me this gives me more room for a good grip when cutting heavy material. The small choil gives you some other grip options without taking up alot of blade or handle. I like this feature for when I don't have a small knife on me for detailed work.

For me the Endura just didn't fit my hands I guess. For me the grooves forced my fingers together or had them to far spread apart.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Just get both the Spyderco Military and Para-Military (1 or 2 or both), and enjoy. The Miltary and Para-Military look and sound similar, yet each is unique in its own right. I give a nod to the Military when I want more blade and go with the Para-Military when I want something a bit smaller.

I like the Spyderco Endura4, although I find the grip of the Military and Para-Military more to my liking.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I would get the Military. I do not have a current count of Military models I own but I would guess around 8. The first time I owned the knife (when switching from a Caly Jr) I was concerned about the size, but like 1 carot Solitare engagement ring, it shrinks with time. :)

The Military is a great size for EDC and woodswalking. Plenty of room on the handle so you could wear gloves while in the woods or on a construction site. It is very light for its size and has done everything I have asked it to do. It is fairly thin in design so it does not take up a bunch of room in your pocket.

My only hesitation is for you to consult your local laws regarding carry length. If the blade must be below 4 inches, then the Para 2 would be a fine second option.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Frapiscide wrote:I don't have an Endura to compare to, but the Millie is 9.5 inches in overall length and the Para 2 is 8.25 inches, whereas the Endura is 8.75. Both of which are very ergonomic.

Here are some pics of them in my hand, 3 5/16 in palm width, 7.25 in from wrist to tip of middle finger:
Nice comparison pics and description!
calyco

Post by calyco »

I prefer the Military, I got two and sold my Para. Large useful blade and super comfortable handle in a slim profile. Para to me is a medium knife, not the smallest for EDC and not the biggest for larger tasks. I use my Millie for everything but like to carry something smaller for EDC like a Calypso, small Sebenza etc. under 3" blade. If you like the Endura size I would say go for the Military.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Both are superb knives, but the Millie is more versatile and capable. You will most probably end up with both, but in case you run short on cash, get the Millie first. There's a reason why it's an iconic knife on Spyderco's lineup, and probably the most mentioned model on the top five thread.
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
PovertyViaKnifeCollecting

Post by PovertyViaKnifeCollecting »

Crocodilo wrote:Both are superb knives, but the Millie is more versatile and capable. You will most probably end up with both, but in case you run short on cash, get the Millie first. There's a reason why it's an iconic knife on Spyderco's lineup, and probably the most mentioned model on the top five thread.
I would have to agree. Get the millie first. Maybe grab a orange one before they are gone!
BloodGroove4570

Post by BloodGroove4570 »

Yeah it sounds like i need the militarty, like now, lol i guess i will go for that next unless i find a chinook first... thanks so much for the input :D
cckw

Post by cckw »

I would only take a Milli on a hike or other woods type stuff. It is perfect then. I'm skinny, so it is too much in my pocket for EDC... And as mentioned may be of illegal size in some cities and states. You have to check that, just because you have never heard of it in your city doesn't mean anything.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

The Millie is incredible. Grab the orange one before they're gone....Then a bit down the road, grab a sprint run of a Para 2.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.