Stop Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Stop Lock

Post by vivi »

Is there any news concerning the Stop Lock? I've seen it mentioned by Sal a few times over the past few years but don't recall many specifics about the design.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vivi,

It's still in engineering development. We made a mock-up for strength testing and it exceeded 200 inch /lbs per inch. The potential is very good. We're working on fitting it into a Miliary model.

With so many models in-the-works at any given time, overall progress is slower than we'd like. We've got 2 engineers in-house, and they're always busy on new model development or tooling. We've got 50+ models in the line at this time.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Dang :eek:

That's pretty good for just 2 engineers. Wow.

200 inch /lbs per inch? Jeez-O-Pete. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:Hi Vivi,

It's still in engineering development. We made a mock-up for strength testing and it exceeded 200 inch /lbs per inch. The potential is very good. We're working on fitting it into a Miliary model.

With so many models in-the-works at any given time, overall progress is slower than we'd like. We've got 2 engineers in-house, and they're always busy on new model development or tooling. We've got 50+ models in the line at this time.

sal
If I was qualified I'd be more than happy to help engineer :D

Really though, thanks for the response. I'm excited to see the new lock, because the locks Spyderco has developed thus far are extremely good in my opinion. The compression lock is one of the main reasons I purchased a Paramilitary. I'm quite anxious to see the stop lock Military. Is there any chance we could see a photo of the mock-up?
:unicorn
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

Vivi wrote:If I was qualified I'd be more than happy to help engineer :D

Really though, thanks for the response. I'm excited to see the new lock, because the locks Spyderco has developed thus far are extremely good in my opinion. The compression lock is one of the main reasons I purchased a Paramilitary. I'm quite anxious to see the stop lock Military. Is there any chance we could see a photo of the mock-up?
Yes we need PHOTOS
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Photo would be great or a description even. And 200 lbs/inch is crazy !
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Shenmue728 wrote:Photo would be great or a description even. [...]
Maybe the patent description would be of some help?

Stop lock patent

Dennis
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

sal wrote:Hi Vivi,

sal
Could I get a job there? I just graduated in Mechanical Engineering... :D

Anyways, I would love to see the stop lock in production. It was just by chance that I developed a simlar lock for one of my designs a while back. I guess great minds think alike :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE