Cricket on a key chain?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
philthygeezer

Cricket on a key chain?

Post by philthygeezer »

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a SS SE Spydie for use on a key chain. The SS Ladybug is 1.2 oz and the SS Cricket is 1.75 oz. I've read that weight on car keys can destroy the ignition lock over time.
  1. Is the Cricket too heavy to have hanging on your car keys?
  2. How heavy is it when you take the metal clip off?
  3. Are there plans for a SE Etched Cricket?
  4. Would you rather have the Cricket or the Ladybug?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

philthygeezer wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a SS SE Spydie for use on a key chain. The SS Ladybug is 1.2 oz and the SS Cricket is 1.75 oz. I've read that weight on car keys can destroy the ignition lock over time.
  1. Is the Cricket too heavy to have hanging on your car keys?
  2. How heavy is it when you take the metal clip off?
  3. Are there plans for a SE Etched Cricket?
1. Considering what some people carry on their key rings, ignition lock replacement should be a major industry. There is probably a grain of truth to that theory, but unless the roads around here were really bad and I planned on keeping my current car for a decade, I would not loose any sleep over an extra half ounce.

2. Taking of the clip should reduce that "a hair", possibly as much as a tenth of an ounce.

3. Sal has said in the past that if the PE versions of the etched knives sell well, SE would be considered, but Ihave no idea if that's happening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

my keys and all the crap connected to them have to weigh at least a pound and my ignition in all 3 cars are fine...go with whichever knife you like more.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I would be more worried about the knife opening in my pocket or elsewhere unintentionally, leading to a nasty cut when you reach for it, than the weight.

Liner locks and such delicate frame locks as on the Cricket are much more prone to unwanted opening than lockbacks because of the non-existant spring tension (that's why Spyderco liner locks are tip-down only AFAIK); so I personally would be hesitant to attach a Cricket to my keyring.... but that's just me of course.

The 1.2 oz FRN Dragonfly is no option, I assume?

The Ladybug has only 1mm less of cutting edge compared to the Cricket, but in a smaller package AND featuring a lockback. I definitely would go for one of these instead of a Cricket (on a keyring, that is; i love my Etched Cricket).

Dennis
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Murdoc wrote:I would be more worried about the knife opening in my pocket or elsewhere unintentionally, leading to a nasty cut when you reach for it, than the weight.

Liner locks and such delicate frame locks as on the Cricket are much more prone to unwanted opening than lockbacks because of the non-existant spring tension (that's why Spyderco liner locks are tip-down only AFAIK); so I personally would be hesitant to attach a Cricket to my keyring.... but that's just me of course.

The 1.2 oz FRN Dragonfly is no option, I assume?

The Ladybug has only 1mm less of cutting edge compared to the Cricket, but in a smaller package AND featuring a lockback. I definitely would go for one of these instead of a Cricket (on a keyring, that is; i love my Etched Cricket).

Dennis
Which version of the cricket are you thinking of?

My Etched SS cricket withstands against inertia openings about as well as my lava, and that little blade is hard budge.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I see your point and agree that inertia opening is next to impossible on my Cricket too, but

the main problem is that in a pocket, especially on a key ring, the blade can be somehow forced out ot its closed position just a little, by keys that get caught in the spyderhole or otherwise (potentional risk increased by the open frame design of the Cricket).

In case of a backlock, the spring of the lockbar re-closes the blade after the impact is gone if it wasn't opened quite a bit; a liner or frame lock doesn't have any "closing tendency" once the detent ball is forced out of its detent (if you know what I'm talking about:rolleyes :) , and the blade moves more or less freely (which is the reason for the smooth and easy action of a liner(frame)lock knife compared to a backlock), and keeps its partly opened position, which can be nasty when you reach for your keys....

This is just a theory, of course;
I never had a Cricket on my keyring (just my old SAK for about 20 years now :) )

Dennis
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I recently switched from a Baby Goddard (lockback) to an Orange FRN Ladybug on my key ring. Basically just felt like an update, the Goddard was great but the micarta scales do scratch.

I really like the light weight of the FRN AND it stands up to pocket travel REALLY WELL. It also cuts like a dream.

I wouldn't want a stainless handle on my keys. It would get scratched up in no time and, for the needs of a keychain knife, FRN is plenty strong enough.

Highly recommend a FRN Ladybug to anyone looking for something on their keys.

And like others here, I keep so much "junk" on my keys (recently cleaned it out from 10 oz to 7 oz) and at 6yo and 120K miles no ignition issues... I wouldn't worry about it. At a pound, I might but I don't want a pound in my pocket, either ;) .

Good luck in your choice,

Ken
玉鋼
Blades

Post by Blades »

I carry a SS kiwi on my keychain, BUT my vehicle keys are a separate key ring. In case I am car-jacked, they can drive off with my car, but can't drive to my house and walk right in.
We do a few ignition replacements at work. Ignitions wear over time anyways, but a heavy keyring helps wear them quicker.
--Jason--
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've had a Spin on my keys for over two years now. I think it's an excellent carrying method. Helped me out a lot, when i couldn't have another knife on me, or when i needed to use a knife in public.
It also keeps my keys hanging, when in the pocket, and helps me not to lose those keys.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

truck keys are kept minimal... just the key, remote, dealer keychain, and a detatchable keyring (other 1/2 is on my other set of keys).

set #2 (at home) is truck key, house key, bike lock key, vnox classic and a 512mb flash drive

I keep my house key, office key and spare truck key on a subcom in my rear/left pocket. Truck key will only open the door, won't start it (or let it run if I used the remote).
Truck has the ignition that requires a coded key, can't simply get one cut... have to spend a fortune with the dealer. "Passive anti-theft system"... can do everything but start it without a coded key.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Cricket on Keychain all the way! I've had the same cricket for a couple of years now on my keychain with no problems. Remove the clip and the slim profile shouldnt be a problem. It is built like a tank and fills the hand really well. The blade shape is extremely useful for most if not all of my daily tasks. Much prefer the cricket than the smaller size of the ladybug. It really is the maximum amount of knife in a small enough package to still be comfortable on a keychain.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Spygineer wrote:Cricket on Keychain all the way! I've had the same cricket for a couple of years now on my keychain with no problems. Remove the clip and the slim profile shouldnt be a problem. It is built like a tank and fills the hand really well. The blade shape is extremely useful for most if not all of my daily tasks. Much prefer the cricket than the smaller size of the ladybug. It really is the maximum amount of knife in a small enough package to still be comfortable on a keychain.
I'm not saying a Cricket isn't a better knife (or that it is, either ;) ) but, for me, a keychain knife will VERY RARELY be the only knife I have so it's duty is pretty limited.

I don't have to have my most functional blade there. It's really only a backup to my backup of my main carry so light, durable but functional is my criteria.

With a Phoenix or a Lil'Temp as a main carry I would pick a Lava or a cricket as a backup and a Ladybug with my keys. Good combos.

Ken
玉鋼
nuubee

use quick-release hardware for ignition key/remote only

Post by nuubee »

I've also heard from various sources about damaging an ignition system with too much weight.
I carry a lot of stuff on my http://www.Countycomm.com 'airplane mechanic's' 6" cable keychain. This includes an Arc AAA, spare AAA lithium in a watertight geocache fob, ladybug, stainless 'peanut lighter' (also from Countycomm), and, in the summer, when I switch the body on my Fenix L2D to a P2D, a spare CR123A battery in a Wal-mart keychain pill fob. The keychain cable is much handier than dealing with split rings; you just have to check to make sure the knurled ring is tightened every so often.

This is what I do. I have my car key and remote only - on a quick release clip. I use a 'lobster claw', but there are a lot of different quick release arrangements out there. I would include some links, but my computer crashed recently, and I lost all of my multitudinous bookmarks.

It's just a matter of training yourself to get in the habit. As I use the remote to unlock the car, I'm unclipping the ignition key from the still closed keychain cable, and dropping the cable/heavier stuff in the beverage holder. As I start to exit the car, I reverse the process. Hope this helps. You might want to check out http://www.edc.forums.com
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

I recomend a FRN Dragomfly for your keys.
I think that the ladybug and the jester are too little.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
philthygeezer

Post by philthygeezer »

nuubee wrote:I've also heard from various sources about damaging an ignition system with too much weight.
I carry a lot of stuff on my http://www.Countycomm.com 'airplane mechanic's' 6" cable keychain. This includes an Arc AAA, spare AAA lithium in a watertight geocache fob, ladybug, stainless 'peanut lighter' (also from Countycomm), and, in the summer, when I switch the body on my Fenix L2D to a P2D, a spare CR123A battery in a Wal-mart keychain pill fob. The keychain cable is much handier than dealing with split rings; you just have to check to make sure the knurled ring is tightened every so often.

This is what I do. I have my car key and remote only - on a quick release clip. I use a 'lobster claw', but there are a lot of different quick release arrangements out there. I would include some links, but my computer crashed recently, and I lost all of my multitudinous bookmarks.

It's just a matter of training yourself to get in the habit. As I use the remote to unlock the car, I'm unclipping the ignition key from the still closed keychain cable, and dropping the cable/heavier stuff in the beverage holder. As I start to exit the car, I reverse the process. Hope this helps. You might want to check out http://www.edc.forums.com
Hmm I like this idea.