Bring back the grey box!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Bring back the grey box!

Post by The Deacon »

Or better yet, develop some packaging as rugged and well engineered as your knives.

Seriously Sal, the new red/black boxes are junk. Even when well packed, they arrive looking like the knife has been trying to beat its way out, and in many cases been at least partially successful. The "end flap" style used on some of the fixed blades is the worst, but the "sleeve and tray" type is nearly as flimsy. The boxes the brands of tissues, cereal, and tea bags I purchase come in are better quality.

I know you pride yourself on designing things for users, rather than collectors, but I think you need to consider that, at least where certain models are concerned, collectors represent a significant portion of the market. For us, packaging is not something which gets tossed in the trash, it's part of the product.

But even for your target market of hard core users, consider the impression made by a cheap looking, flimsy, beat up box, especially to someone new to the brand. It could make some question the quality of the contents. It could also negatively influence the purchase decision of someone, especially a non-enthusiast, looking to buy a knife as a gift for a loved one.

For all those reasons, I think presenting a product made from top of the line steels and composites in a bargain basement box is a bad idea.

Ok. Rant over. I feel better now. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

You've noticed that too ??? I thought it was just my anally retentive personality that made me want to screech out loud. Well, while we're at it, I'll give my comments too.

I would agree with Paul's atatement above. I found almost all my blades with the exception of the Kopas (well , even one of those decided to try and escape its cardboard confines during shipment) has attempted a futile escape. It seems the blades have ripped pretty much all its boxes and if the box wasn't tight, then it was excessively loose. If the box wasn't already busted during shipping, then it gets accidentally torn slightly when I try to get them out of the tight ones.

Sure, the most important thing is the cargo contained within the boxes, but for many collectors a knife with a ripped box is not nearly as satisfying as a NIB knife in a pristine box. A bit OCD ??? maybe, unjustified comment ?? maybe not. Just a small rant or suggestion which I would like to concur with.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Wow,
I am not alone. I like the look of new box, but for some reasons most of the boxes are coming not in good shape. I was thinking, that it is not my lucky day. :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I signed in specifically to concur with the Deacon.

I found the fixed blade boxes impossible to open without tearing. I think bargain basement Chinamart knives come with better boxes.

The grey boxes were better in every way but stylish excitement.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

Hi All

I have noticed too especially coming all the way to "blighty" as a collector the box is not as important but still an essential to me too. The Grey ones never seemed to arrive in as bad a condition.

Then again I think its down to the post and airport staff as most people I buy from are on here and they pack well.

So it may not always be the box's fault. :(
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
SSB

Injection molded plastic style storage box?

Post by SSB »

Like the ones offered by MTM for ammunition & such.
Except with a foam lining for individual knives.
There may well be a market for these.
I know they would be more expensive than cardboard !
Maybe Spyderco could offer them as an accessory?
& i agree with Deacon the older boxes were better!
Just my 2 cents worth!
regards,SSB
PSU

Post by PSU »

The Deacon wrote:Even when well packed, they arrive looking like the knife has been trying to beat its way out, and in many cases been at least partially successful.
I tend to agree with your observation, at least with the last few examples that I've seen.

Notice the P'kal trying to make its great escape...
Attachments
Box.jpg
Box.jpg (20.39 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
DRod

Post by DRod »

Mine last three came in the gold bug box and they too were smashed. My grey web boxs have all been stout enough to stay in shape.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

maybe this is an intended feature of the new boxes... "look what a brand new, closed knife can do to a box... imagine what it can do when the blade is unleashed at your control!" :D

seriously, though... i admittedly only buy about one knife a year (always a spydie)... BUT, even i have noticed the more flimsy nature of the new boxes.

+1 vote for higher tech boxes, too!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
mr_bsii

It's all about cost.

Post by mr_bsii »

I agree that the box needs to be good enough to protect the fit/finish of the knife while en route, but I'd rather spend my money on the knife than the package. I'm guessing that the change was a financially driven one, so maybe some more, knife-stabilizing stuffing is in order if this is a common occurrence. I'd rather them cheap out on the box than cheap out on the knife (or increase the price). I'm on the manufacturing side of things, so I see this tightrope walked every day.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

my lum box need to be glued together again

majority of the boxes i own are the new red ones, so the gray boxes didnt fall apart as much ?
markg

Post by markg »

I am sure you buy a bunch of boxes, then you are stuck with them till they are used up.

I had not noticed but yea, mine are beat up a bit too.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Paul, please forgive me chiming in like this but, if these are your worries in the world as it is today.... you' re very well off.

Shouldn't we look for more substancial things to worry and rant about ?

With my sincerest regards from the Netherlands,
Jur. :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

While I'm not likely to lose any sleep over it there is little doubt in my mind that the old grey webbed boxes are better quality and more substantial. However, on a more positive note I prefer the looks of the new box.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Jurphaas wrote:Hi Paul, please forgive me chiming in like this but, if these are your worries in the world as it is today.... you' re very well off.

Shouldn't we look for more substancial things to worry and rant about ?

With my sincerest regards from the Netherlands,
Jur. :)
I think it's a very justified rant.

Not just a concern for collectors, but also those who would like their boxes to stay in good shape so they can resell their knives.
Presentation is the first thing the consumer puts into account when judging quality, and if the boxes look like junk, then well....
NO, it's not the greatest problem in the world, but what would a first time customer think if the box with their $150 plus knife is torn all to crap?
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Axlis wrote:I think it's a very justified rant.

Not just a concern for collectors, but also those who would like their boxes to stay in good shape so they can resell their knives.
i agree
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

The bottom of my latest Paramilitary box says "Printed in China". :)

I do agree. Many of my new knives have come to me in boxes that look like they are beat up. I do like the older boxes better when it comes to protecting the knife during shipping. I actually do like the color of the new boxes but it does seem that they are very "abused" looking when I get the box. I've had boxes come to me like this from dealers, ebayers, etc.

Jurphaas, yeah we are pretty well off when that's all we have to worry about. Agreed. However, when I buy a $120+ knife I want the box to be nice. I actually keep my boxes for storage a lot of times.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

I am glad that Paul started this thread. Let's admit the fact that some people do carry how the knives they spend money for are getting presented. I do believe that they represent the segment of the market that supports the company we all like so much with their wallets. So let's not just dismiss their voices because they might be in minority. I am not aware of the cost savings achieved by switching to the current box design, but paying over $100 for a knife, I am willing to add a couple of bucks for a decent packaging. I doubt that anybody would stop collecting/buying Spydercos just because of junky boxes. But I think that this is a legitimate concern that has been addressed in the past but never been resolved.
Ok, I had to get it off my chest. :cool:
WhyNot.
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it." Sam Levenson
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Perhaps you need to consider buying from a source that ships by some method other than mortar relay. I'll grant you that I have far fewer of the new boxes than some here, but none of the ones I have arrived damaged. They do not seem to be any thinner than the older boxes, either. Maybe I just got all the good ones.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
DRod

Post by DRod »

I buy mine from NGK and atleast three out of the last five gold bug boxes have been crushed. Not really bad, but NONE of my grey boxes were ever crushed. Small crease here and there or a wrinkled edge but never crushed like the red/black boxs I have. OH well, its shipped inside another box with peanuts in it so its fine... But that makes me wonder, its in a perfectly fine shipping box when I get it, so its crushed before shipping. Hmm.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947