Yojimbo by color

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MCM

Yojimbo by color

Post by MCM »

Am working on picking up a Yojimbo.
I know of a few for sale. My question is, is the Black model really more "rare" and should it command a premium over a Blue model? (Kind of like the Blue) Were there 2 shades of blue?

Am just trying to educate my self a bit on this model.
It was a production knife correct? Rather than a limited run? Anyone know the production numbers by color?

I see some were numbered, was this just the 1st run?

Thanks in advance...!

MCM
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

If I knew I would tell you the numbers.

Overall the black commands more money and is rarer.
I have had 5-6 blue yojimbo and the color has varied slightly, but I really can't remember. I only have 1 black new and 1 blue new and 1 used blue so I can't even compare.

Numbers are usually collector numbers, but what is really in a number. The numbered Yoji isn't gonna perform any better than a non numbered yoji. A black one isn't gonna cut a boat load better than a blue one. IMO black one is cooler though :D

If you look at the dodo I think the blue is cooler though. personal preference is a huge thing so stick with your gut. Figure out why you want the knife first and then spend the cash on it. Safe queen or work horse you decide.

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

i have both colors but usually carry the blue. i wear jeans or shorts to work and the blue blends in really well especially with jeans. i find the black looks nice when wearing a suit or tuxedo. i would get both colors. i would also get a river city sheath for them as this sheath offers some other carry options.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Thanks for the info...........

MCM
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

MCM, the Yo, is one folder that should be jumped on in both colors. I have a black, but would not fail to grab a smurf blue if able too. Take care and God Bless. ;)
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

The numbered knives are from the Collector's Club issue. There are 200 spots in the club, but they aren't numbered 001-200. The members can pick their own 3 digit number.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

aj1985 wrote:Overall the black commands more money and is rarer. aj
Do you say the black is rarer because you see them less or because you read some released production numbers?

I ask because usually black would have the same quantity or even more than other colors of a given knife handle.

It is my opinion there is just as many, if not more black handled knives, but those that appreciated the design early on have multiples sitting in their stash.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I think Zen might be right on this one. Black may have more being caried as users and thus possibly less have come up for sale as NIB knives.

Though I do not know how many were produced in total before the Yo was disco'd. Only Spyderco would know this info. I can't recall the Yoyo as being a sprint or limited production....anyone ?

Sorry, old photo. I really should get off my backside and take newwer shots of my 'hoard'. I will try to get a shot of the Blue and Black one together soon.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

zenheretic wrote:Do you say the black is rarer because you see them less or because you read some released production numbers?

I ask because usually black would have the same quantity or even more than other colors of a given knife handle.

It is my opinion there is just as many, if not more black handled knives, but those that appreciated the design early on have multiples sitting in their stash.
I mainly meant that black is rarer, because a lot of people are tactical NINJAS such as myself love black more than blue for deanimating Zombies and such :p . Therefore per your advise these mall ninjas are hoarding the black ones, because a zombie attack is forseeable in the near future. :D

take care bro
aj
Live in every breath

MCM

Post by MCM »

Is this one screwed together? Or pressed together with rivets?

Thanks for taking the time with my newbie questions..........
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

datan wrote:I think Zen might be right on this one. Black may have more being caried as users and thus possibly less have come up for sale as NIB knives.

Though I do not know how many were produced in total before the Yo was disco'd. Only Spyderco would know this info. I can't recall the Yoyo as being a sprint or limited production....anyone ?

Sorry, old photo. I really should get off my backside and take newwer shots of my 'hoard'. I will try to get a shot of the Blue and Black one together soon.
WOW bro you take awesome pics and I didn't even see your post before I replied. I think you hit it right on the button.

I wish I could carry the Yo more, but that tip is just way to fine for me

aj
Live in every breath

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

aj1985 wrote:I mainly meant that black is rarer, because a lot of people are tactical NINJAS such as myself love black more than blue for deanimating Zombies and such :p . Therefore per your advise these mall ninjas are hoarding the black ones, because a zombie attack is forseeable in the near future. :D

take care bro
aj
Ok was just curious, don't read the forums like I used to.

There is a rumour that they grow on trees near rivers...

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
markg

Post by markg »

I believe (I maybe wrong) but the blue was the normal production color for this knife. That the black G-10 was a limited run. I remember it marked as such on New Graham's site (that I do know).

If that is true, then the black would have been produced in more limited numbers. Add to that, most people preferred the knife in black. It would drive up demand.

Now, can we get one in foliage green? :D
MCM

Post by MCM »

Was the G-10's blade held in place with a threaded fastener? And the Blue Riveted? Or were there Blue and Black nylon and the black G10 another run?

Simple question, but thanks.......
markg

Post by markg »

I believe both colors had the same construction.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Here's a few pics I quickly took outside with my two side by side black and blue folding scalpels :D

And here is something which few people have noticed about my Blue Yo.... notice jimping going further down the secondary fore-spine. It's a legitimate Yo, from a distributor of Spyderco here. Possibly earlier version ? It certainly adds a bit more traction if you want to get really close and personal.

Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

still havent gotten one of these yet, i also dont know which one i like better so i think ill have to get them both when the time comes

great pics!!!!!!!
MCM

Post by MCM »

"I believe both colors had the same construction"

Cant tell even with all the pic's. LOL LOL
Is that a small Torx on both blades?
Looks like Torx on the black one.

Thanks!
MCM

Post by MCM »

PM me the details if you dont want to post here.........

Thanks
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

markg wrote:I believe both colors had the same construction.
yes they are both of the same construction. the pivot screw heads are different on the later yojimbos. my blue and black knives are the same (i have five). i like the lock on the yojimbo a great deal. it is simple, strong and most resistant to pocket crud stopping lockup. in fact it appears to be pretty much self cleaning. i can tell you that a number of other locking systems are most definitely NOT self cleaning and crud can stop lockup.