Handle Materials and Dimensions for Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
hiredgun

Handle Materials and Dimensions for Mule

Post by hiredgun »

I didn't get a mule this time around, but plan to the next go around. I've been looking for different materials to use as handles/scales for my future mule. I'd like to know what size (LxW) would be sufficient for each slab of material? Can any of you knifemakers out there measure your mule handle and give me an idea? Thanks.

I've already seen some G-10 handles out there and they look great. If I can find and afford it, I'm thinking about Mammoth Tooth or Ivory. If not that, maybe some type of stone.
araneae

Post by araneae »

2" by 6" slabs should suffice.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
CWO

Post by CWO »

hiredgun wrote:I didn't get a mule this time around, but plan to the next go around. I've been looking for different materials to use as handles/scales for my future mule. I'd like to know what size (LxW) would be sufficient for each slab of material? Can any of you knifemakers out there measure your mule handle and give me an idea? Thanks.

Here is a tracing of the Mule Team. I hope this helps. The dimension on the ar right side is 1-5/8". I'm pressing various scales for it now - so if you get jammed for options let me know and I'll do what I can to assist.

CWO

hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Thanks to both of you! Just what I was hoping for. Someday, you'll see my finished product!