Mule Team handle hardware.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Brad S.

Mule Team handle hardware.

Post by Brad S. »

Since I picked up my Mule I realized that there was going to be a problem attaching scales to the blade. The holes drilled in the are all strange sizes and not standard at all. So I have been trying to come up with a solution. Here is what I came up with.

I personally prefer permentaly attaching the scales with pins, but I know some of you dont so here we go.

This is a standard 1/8" barrel pivot with screws. Avaiable at from most knife making supply stores. They cost $2-4 a peice depending on where you get them and if they are tempered. I prefer the tempered ones. I love these barrel pivots and wanted to use them. So what I did with lathe a small very thin walled sleeve that presses inside the blade that the pivot will as well press into. So when it all works out scales can be screwed to the blade. They are then removeable and can be switched between knives.

Here are some photos with Hunter Orange G-10 scales with a custom texture. Let me know what you all think. Shoot some ideas at me as well if you have a better solution cause those sleeves arnt easy to make.

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

That rocks! Excellent solution, and mighty fine scales to boot. Thanks for bringing that up, perhaps on the next Mule runs they can change the size?
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

SoCal Operator wrote: ...perhaps on the next Mule runs they can change the size?

I hope so. Or maybe just sell the hardware needed. The holes are made for the same hardware that assembles the Delica and the Endura. The problem is that this hardware seems to be custom made for Spyderco and isnt available anywhere else.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Brad, those are mighty fine sir. You do darn fine work son.

I'll be in contact about what we have been discussing. ;)

Awesome orange G10!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

Nice work, Brad. I do like that scale shape quite a bit. Seems like it would make the most sense for Spyderco to switch the size of the holes, since Spyderco will not be putting scales on these knives. Either that, or sell the right hardware along with the knives.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Great work, Brad, very impressive.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

nice!
dmrllgr

Post by dmrllgr »

Could you order the Spyderco parts kit for the Endura to get screws for attachment, if they are the same size? It would limit the width of the handle you could make though.
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

I was sure that I saw somewhere that Sal was going to drill the holes to fit standard Chicago Screws. Does anyone have a chicago screw they can measure?

[Edit]
I just measured the holes in the tank. The small ones are 1/8th an the large ones are 3/8ths, I think. Are these Chicago screw sizes?
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Very nice, Brad!
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
araneae

Post by araneae »

dmrllgr wrote:Could you order the Spyderco parts kit for the Endura to get screws for attachment, if they are the same size? It would limit the width of the handle you could make though.
The cost of the kit is way more than most folks would want to pay for a few screws.

Finding the hardware seems to be the real trick. I am working on it, but have not had luck yet. Brad has an innovative work-around though. Hopefully we can identify the correct hardware and a source. It would be nice if future Mules used a more friendly hole diameter or if Spyderco made hardware available to us :spyder: knuts.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

How Are You Making These Tricod!?!?!?!??!!
:d
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

quattrokid73 wrote:How Are You Making These Tricod!?!?!?!??!!
:d
Ahhhh come on now. Your an industrial design student. I bet you can figure it out. :D

PM me if you really want to know I would be glad to help you with the process.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

SeanH wrote:I was sure that I saw somewhere that Sal was going to drill the holes to fit standard Chicago Screws. Does anyone have a chicago screw they can measure?

[Edit]
I just measured the holes in the tank. The small ones are 1/8th an the large ones are 3/8ths, I think. Are these Chicago screw sizes?

Unfortunately no. Chicago screws don’t fit. Although yes they do fit inside the holes, there is significant gaps that would cause an awful lot of play and slop in the handle.

1/8" = .125
Actually hole size on Mule = .164
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

Beautiful orange scales, Brad, my compliments.

I think a possible alternative to your machined sleeves would be Acraglas Gel from Brownell's, a high-strength epoxy gunstock bedding compound. The kit comes with a release agent that is applied to anything you don't want epoxy stuck to, in this case the barrel (inside and out), barrel screws, and the scales. Assemble the barrels to one scale and insert through the blade. Mix the epoxy according to directions and apply a bit to the holes in the blade around the barrel, then assemble the remaning scale and screws to clamp everything in place.

For my mule, however, I share your preference for a permanent mount. I'll be using Acraglas and pins to lock everything up solid.
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Very nice. I'm planning on permanent handles.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

rcbalt2 wrote:Very nice. I'm planning on permanent handles.
For permanent handles I use press fit pins and as well epoxy the scales to the steel so that no water or whatever can steep in between the steel and the scale. As long as the steel is clean it will stick forever no problem. The pins as well need to be a tight fit.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Looks good Brad. I especially like the scale color, very handy if you drop it while hiking or something like that.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
gac

Post by gac »

Where do you get the Orange material from? Do you have any handles to sell?
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

Thanks for your post. Great job on the handles, I am a huge fan of Orange G-10!
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan, 1985