So, whats day job?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DRod

So, whats day job?

Post by DRod »

Just curious, seen this kind of thread on some other forums I frequent, so I figured Id give it a whirl.

I work for Black & Decker's Kwikset Corp. in Denison, Tx. I started out alloying and ladle (large bull ladle on a forklift) operating in the furnace room, then moved to hot chamber die cast machine operation, wasn't bad but I went home smelling like... like crap. And the holes that get burnt in your boots and jeans also sucked... Did that a few years then decided to get back on a forklift for shipping and receiving. I've work materials and receiving on night shift for the past two years... So there ya go. I sit on my butt all night riding my seafoam green Mitsubishi named Megatron, my forklift :cool: , all night monday through thursday for ten hours.

So, whats your day job?
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Nothing currently, other then looking for work. I'm hoping something will open up at Spyderco. I could use a change of scenery.
Carson
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I work as a (unfortunately poorly paid) graphic designer, illustrator, and web designer for a non-profit educational center at the University of South Florida.

It doesn't pay all that well, but I currently don't have much in the way of expenses, and the environment is very nice. I also have a lot of freedom. I took the last week off as I got very sick and it wasn't an issue at all... didn't get paid for that week though.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
JBE

Post by JBE »

Paramedic for a third-service (municipal) EMS agency in a rural Louisiana area. Pretty good pay and decent benefits package. About the best service I've worked for so far in my 15 years in this profession. It's a "day" and "night" job.
Jason
robo19x

Post by robo19x »

i work customer service in a cubicle farm for a big internet retailer.

not a bad job. . . and, in a lot of ways, i do at least like what my company does. . . .

would rather get paid for shooting photos. . . or drinking beer and riding motorcycles (not at the same time, of course). . . .

not sure where to apply for that job.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I'm a buyer for Custom Chrome which is an aftermarket distributor of any and all accessories for Harley Davidson
-John
lerman

Post by lerman »

i work for a blacksmith, when I'm not in school, but next year it will be full time, it's a great job and with great people.
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I do residential, commercial and land loans for California and Nevada. I've been in some form of sales for 8 years or so.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Riding a forklift for pepsi.
I should say getting on and off a forklift,got to load product on about 100 bays per night.Get to stay on it for a while when we unload transports.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Field Service Engineer (sounds important) for a Semiconductor company. Electro/mechanical repair and maintenance on multiple $2Million+ pieces of equipment. Contracted out to major microchip manufacturer to provide onsite equipment support. Decent pay and bennies but the job security isn't there. When the contract runs out....?
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
squad314

Post by squad314 »

I'm in my 19th year as a City Firefighter in Saint John NB.I'm currently assigned to Engine #4,(The Eastern Connection),and have to say,I love my job.As a sideline,my family and I own a bottled water distributorship dealing primarily in residential and commercial deliveries.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

IT Department of a smallish city government.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Economist/lobbyist for a not-for-profit association representing the hospital industry in NJ. Lots of financial impact modeling to prove to our state legislators and federal delegation that our hospitals are in severe financial stress. 17 hospitals have closed in the past 10 years, and three have recently filed for bankruptcy -- a first for NJ.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I've been a stay at home Dad for the past two years and will be for the next three at least. In my BC (before child) life I was a Licensed Veterinary Technician, kinda like an RN for animals but with more responsibility/variety of disciplines.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

OSM/VISTA watershed development coordinator in southwestern Virginia... :D
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have been a firefighter for 7 years in chicago now, before that a cop in chicago, a carpenter, a import/export paperwork shuffler, a forklift driver, a ramp rat at o'hare, a jiffy lube tech, worked in produce and also as a bagger in a grocery store. needless to say i am a very happy camper being a fireman. :)
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Sr. Software Design Engineer; Volunteer IT/Webmaster for an International Ministry to Central America; Business Owner; Retired Navy CDR
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Production Technician for a major OEM in the Telecommunications Field (try fitting THAT on a form). Trained as an Electrical Technician, my spread at work covers everything from fixing the boards, to fixing the jigs and computers as they go down... just about anywhere on the production floor. Been there for a year and can be dropped in to 90% of the positions on the floor (including assembling if needed).

Pretty much I get paid to sit for 8hrs a day breaking stuff in an effort to fix it. Or I walk back and forth all night running 3/4 of the tests on the boards myself.

If I'm not fixing stuff at work, I'm working on the systems at the family courier company. We started it in November 04.

Never exactly get a weekend to myself.... ugh.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I am a stud. Ent. (Student :D )
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Student, getting a double degree. 4 3/4 years to go...
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.