How much would you spend on a knife (Pt 2)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Chucula

How much would you spend on a knife (Pt 2)

Post by Chucula »

I was looking through some old threads and found one entitled "How much would you spend on a knife." Rather than revive the old thread, I figured I would start it again.

At the time of the original thread (2005), I would have spent no more than $150 (Manix was a fancy knife for me). Now, in 2007, that has drastically changed. I bought a knife for $1150--unimaginable!

What about you guys?
druid

Post by druid »

would you get!
why
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

You do understand that we need pictures.

Since the ship with $$ havent sailed in yet I'm still very happy with my new SS Dragonfly.
But no worries, I can make the pretty, fancy knives myself.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
dete

Post by dete »

I think it was like $180

BUT,
that was for the set of:

LLC live blade
LLC drone
LLC dvd

:D
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I just spent $495 on an Anso custom, well worth every penny, I have and would spend more for the right custom knife. I wouldn't spend more than $200for a factory knife, don't care how "rare" it is. That's just me, my opinion.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Earlier this afternoon I sent off $700 to A. T. Barr for my One Eyed Jack. Devin Thomas Raindrop stainless damascus, ti bolsters, fileworked ti liners and backspacer, ivory scales. This won't be a safe queen either, I fully intend to carry and use it. For a production Spyderco, the max I'd pay would depend entirely on how closely it matched my ideals. Kiwi like this one, $500 and I'd be grinning from ear to ear while I wrote out the check. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Its about 500.00 for me.
Knives I have right now in the 250.00 to 500.00 range are
Strider SMF
ZT 302
Lg Wood Sebenza
LG UG Sebenza
CRK Shadow IV
and I may need to list the Spyderfly in with these now.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

Piet.S wrote:You do understand that we need pictures.
I posted pics a while ago of the knife (Busse Argonne Assault) but I sent it off to get a custom sheath made, so I cant get new pics.
The Deacon wrote:The max I'd pay would depend entirely on how closely it matched my ideals
This is why I paid so much for the argonne. Its the knife I would want if I ever needed a big knife :D . For a small knife, the niche is filled with the kiwi.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

The most I have spent to this point was $350 on a Kevin Wilkins(used) and have spent almost that much($300 range) for a couple of production knives; Striders and Sebenzas. I've only been able to keep two at a time as guilt just gets the better of me :o . At the moment I'm thinking of going down to one as result of that guilt, but I don't regret any of the purchases. If the right knife came along, I could see myself spending in the $500 range, perhaps.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

$150 is my limit according to current budget.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've been into knives since about 2003 or 2004. Can't remember.

I still will not pay more than $150 for one single knife. Most of the time I stay under $120.

There is just a point of diminishing returns on price vs. quality. For me that price is about $100. I will pay a little more if I really like the knife.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well, before I had internet and knew about this forum and NGK, I spend a great deal on regular Spydies over here in the good ol'Netherlands.

Eur 288 for a G10 Civilian/SE
Eur 211 for a G10 S30V Military/SE
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Right now I'm only willing to spend such an amount on a very special Spydie.

I would gladly pay Eur 288 for a play free fully serrated Chinook III or Eur 211 for a fully serrated play free Manix ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I generally never spend more than $100 on a production knife but have made exceptions (like the Captain for example). I'd spend far more on a custom knife, how much would all depend on my current income. I really want one of the fancier William Henry knives.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Really depends, the Lil' Temp from SFO was 189 USD (including $50 for international shipping), now, convert that to Australian dollars, and... yikes!

I'd say no more than $150 AUD in general though, the Lil' Temp was an exception.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i spent $150 on a used william henry... which was a GREAT deal... think that's about the most i've spent.

if i saw a knife i REALLLLLY wanted... like an anso-spydie, perhaps... might go as high as $300. can't imagine spending more than $150 on a factory-made knife. most of the customs that really appeal to me tend to be higher in cost, though...
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

If I made a lot more money I wouldn't think twice about paying $850 for one of these:
http://www.williamhenryknives.com/archi ... geport.jpg
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

So far, the max has been a little over $700.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've got a self imposed cap of $500. I'd break it for the right knife though. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

About all there is left that I want is a BG-42 Millie, large micarta Seb or something from Kirby Lambert (~$475). For now, ......besides a Project VI from CRK. The large Seb or Kirby is about as extragant as I get.
WTC #1455
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

For a knife with one handle, about $200 on the top end. For a knife with two handles, about $600.

The most I ever spent was a little under $700, but that was a special case, because an Ikoma GAII.

This is of course assuming I actually have this money in the bank ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-