Can a Delica 4 be opened with centrfugal force?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shifty

Can a Delica 4 be opened with centrfugal force?

Post by Shifty »

I am in Canada and can only get the ZDP from the states, but many knives as you all know are confiscated due to the centrifugal force bullsh.. I mean issue.

Can this knife be opened with a flick or is the blade not heavy enough? I don't even want to risk it getting confiscated.

Any Canadians order any delicas from NewGrahamKnives with any border troubles?

Thanks
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I can open my BRG ZDP Delica with a strong wrist snap. If you ask NGK, they will tighten the pivot screw so this cannot be done. That should get it past Canadian customs.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

there is no such thing as the force of which you speak(sorry, physics gripe)

centripetal acceleration is a center seeking acceleration exhibited by a rotating object.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the great thing about all the new delicas is that you can tweak them considerably more than the previous generations... with a BM blue box or a torx tool, you can easily adjust the blade to be as tight as you want it.
dalefuller

Not mine...

Post by dalefuller »

The last D4 I bought was just before Christmas. It was a ZDP-189 D4 that I got off the 'Net but not from NGK. It was pretty stiff. I didn't try to flick it open, but I don't think that would have worked.

I have had very good results from talking on the phone to the people at NGK. As someone has suggested, they would probably help with this by tightening down the pivot screw some before they ship to you. Then you could loosen it before you open the knife the first time. Just make sure you have the right size Torx driver.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
ktint

Post by ktint »

That stupid law is popping up everywhere. :mad: They just try to get rid of the folder but they can't. So, they came up with this stupid one. I can flick open almost any spyderco folder by holding the handle except my own S30V Native. However, most of the spyderco folder can be flicked open by holding the blade right on the top of the opening hole. :(

Shifty wrote:I am in Canada and can only get the ZDP from the states, but many knives as you all know are confiscated due to the centrifugal force bullsh.. I mean issue.

Can this knife be opened with a flick or is the blade not heavy enough? I don't even want to risk it getting confiscated.

Any Canadians order any delicas from NewGrahamKnives with any border troubles?

Thanks
slacker

Post by slacker »

I've had no problems order from Newgraham. Customer service is top notch and they'll tighten down the pivots if you ask them. Nothing confiscated yet. Plus the delica is pretty small and light which makes it harder to flick open. I wouldn't worry. I ordered a civilian from them a couple of months ago with no problems.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The only way I can flick open my ZDP D4 is if the blade is half open already, and that's with the pivot that keeps coming loose. I doubt you'd have anything to worry about.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Shifty,
I ordered a Delica 3 last year from NGK and it made it through along with another knife that had the pivot tightened. A Jess Horn was confiscated this Christmas by our crime fighting friends at CBSA however. Am not sure of the blade mass of a Jess Horn but it doesn't seem to be in the centrifugal or centripetal opening league of almost 4" blades. At any rate, NGK does a good job and best of luck if you go for it. :)
WTC #1455
blackmist

Post by blackmist »

these laws are INSANE.. the biggest, scariest knife I own came from my granny's kitchen
we want you to understand that we understand that you cannot possibly understand
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Get the pivot tightened and it wont be a problem.

Now, the knife I’ve been wondering about for a while is the Lava. Not counting the Spyderdrop, how many of you Lava owners can flick that knife open?
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

[quote="Joshua J."]Get the pivot tightened and it wont be a problem.

Now, the knife I&#8217]

Flicking the lava open is IMPOSSIBLE. The spring is the tightest thing I have ever witnessed and the blade weighs nothing. DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS ONE! :)

edit: I can flick all of my blades down by holding it in the reverse grip EXCEPT my lava. This blade is staying in there.
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

My SE VG-10 Delica 4 cannot be flicked open by merely holding onto the handle. My PE VG-10 Delica 4 can be flicked open by holding the handle.
I think laws that prohibit the so called "gravity knife" are absurd in spirit, ad hoc in there interpretations and arbitrarily and capriciously enforced.
As has already been alluded to, my kitchen knives provide for a more lethal implement for commiting assault and mayhem, and statistically speaking, kitchen knives are used in many more violent crimes than any 100-200 dollar manuel opening pocket-knife.
In many states, it is legal to carry concealed a loaded .45 auto with a round in the chamber, or a 5 inch fixed blade knife in a quick-draw scabbard, while in that same state it would be a felony for that same person to carry a 3 inch auto-knife or balisong. Unfortunately, there are many more unintuitive and unreasonable statutes in criminal law that make as much sense as the above analysis.
-Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"
Qship

Post by Qship »

The short answer is Yes, right out of the box. But the most important parameter is the skill level of the operator. My elderly Aunt probably couldn't get it open.

It is even easier if the knife is adjusted, smoothed, lubricated and worn in.

Qship
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

ask the seller to zip tie it closed. i remember reading here that they aren't supposed to tamper with the knives and cutting it would be considered tampering.