Back from 'Vegas

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gordonk

Back from 'Vegas

Post by gordonk »

Made it back from 'Vegas :) From the 8-ball side, we got 3 matches deeper than last year in a field that was twice as large. 7 matches in total - I think I split my win/losses :) The "knife hunt" was a partial success. We were just busy enough that I could only get to one Wal-Mart, and they had only the one Native, they did have a Buck Cutback there, though :) I had hoped that Knives & More would have the new G-10 Medowlarks and possibly an Endura 4, but was out of luck there. They did, however, have Surefire there, as well as a BM Mini-Grip/tanto. The Mini-Grip was about the same price as in Calgary, so no real saving there. The Native was a given - I wish they had more or I had a bit more time. The Cutback was also a given - I haven't seen one in Calgary, but there was no way I could get one in Calgary for anywhere close to $29 US plus exchange. The SureFire I got was a 6P - saved roughly $20 CDN on it from the local retailer.

Initial impression on the Native compared to my Native III - I think I like the thinner handle for what I do EDC-wise. For the moment, I've got it IWB to replace my Ka-Bar/Dozier. We'll see over time. The one I got was ever so slightly tight on opening, but everything else was perfect. I prefer them on the tight side anyway. Typical Spydie Sharp - fit and finish was fine. The Native III with the thicker handle would be better for the harder cutting tasks. My Native III has the blue FRN handle, so I'm figurin' it's sort of a collectable, and so I'm not going to beat it up. The Native, though....might get used a little harder.

Initial impression on the Buck Cutback - I'm not big on the blade coating.but we'll see how it holds up. Fit and finish is actually very good, but you know, if I bought this up here, I wouldn't have bought it up here :) It's great for the $30 I paid, but it's nowhere close to my Northshore. Up here the Cutback would probably easily be worth twice that, and for me, it wouldn't be worth it. The Northshore is an order of magnitude above this one in general finish. Now in saying that, I do prefer the framelock in the Cutback over the liner lock in the Northshore.

Initial impression on the Mini-Grip/Tanto - I've been wanting to monkey with a tanto tip for a while. I already own a Mini-Grip, so this kinda set up as a good place to try one - to replace the one in my pocket for a bit and see. Yes, I could have bought a CRKT M-16 of some sort, but it would have been a bit on the large side for me. I do like my current Mini-Grip, so more of a time thing to find out about this tip and how useful it is for what I do.

Initial impression of the SureFire 6P - I've been wondering about the the Surefire line for a while now (I love my Inova X5), but couldn't get to Seals Action Gear to pick the 6P. This one is not an LED one, but nonetheless, it's a pretty impressive light. In just monkeying with it, it ran over my Inova X5 pretty good, but I'll play with fresh batteries in the Inova and compare when I get a bit more time.

The real bonus of the trip - we were practicing a bit after our matches at a hall called Pool Sharks (what a great hall to play in - 3 beers for $7.00 didn't hurt either :D ) There were 3 of us from the team that decided to play there. In walks Jeanette Lee and hubby (Breedlove, I think) :eek: We got to watch a $5K money game between Jeanette Lee's hubby and one of the locals.

Here's a quick pic of my loot.

- gord
Attachments
Toys.JPG
Toys.JPG (88.66 KiB) Viewed 221 times
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Glad you had a good time in Las Vegas, even if you "only" got one Spydie! I gotta get me a surefire as well..
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Glad you're back, Gordonk.

I am sure will will plan a little extra shopping next year!!!

Take care and see ya,

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
deeker

Post by deeker »

Glad to hear you made it back safely, and that the trip was a success - both in the tournament and knife collection!

Looking forward to hearing good things about the new toys.
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Many thx - with our dollar where it was, I wish I had more time to shop - I'm sure some bargains could have been had :) Most important - I got some "stuff" for my wife and my grandson. The knife shop, Knives and More had most of their stuff at retail or very close, so I didn't look really close at too much. I was really glad about my SureFire, Mini-Grip was so-so, but I could touch and feel, so it was worth paying close to a Calgary price. I would have liked to have seen some of the other knife shops there. There's a Harbor Freight there - would have been neat to go there. We stayed overnite in Pocatello on the way back, and there was a Wal-Mart Supercentre there, but they did not have Spydies there. I am also sanctioned, and I think qualified, to play in the Valley National 8 Ball Championship that I think starts next week in 'Vegas, so I may get back there yet if a Calgary team needs a player :D

- gord