An observation about Eric Glesser designed knives...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacTech

An observation about Eric Glesser designed knives...

Post by MacTech »

Eric and Sal, i mean *no* disrespect by the statements i'm about to make below, i *love* your knife designs, i've just noticed a rather strange pattern/coincidence with them....

It started off with the Dodo, like most people, i initially found it's appearance....unique, i really couldn't understand the hype behind this "boxcutter on steroids", unil i took a risk and ordered one

then i understood, the Dodo was designed around ergonomics first, appearance was a non-issue, coincidentally, the Dodo has become my favorite knife and now i own three of them, i've *never* ordered multiple versions of the *same* knife before...

today, my newly-addicted co-worker brought in his new Scorpius, previously, i had decried the Scorpius as nothing more than a "SS Native with a tail", and even gone so far as to suggest that *it* take the Dodo's place on the DC list....

i never even handled the one on display at Kittery Trading Post, as i saw it as a "Native with a tail" (NWAT), i just wasn't interested in it

now that i've actually held the Scorpy, i understand, it's *not* a NWAT, it's *more* comfortable than the Native, the blade is thinner, and it balances in my hand better, the "Native-esque" blade profile is what threw me off at first

so, just like the Dodo, i totally misinterpreted the knife's purpose until i had it in my hand, and since both the Dodo and Scorpius are Eric's designs, it seems to me that Eric's knives need to actually be held and *used* to be appreciated, moreso than the normal Spydies, Eric's designs seem to be clearly focused on ergonomics above all other considerations

do you find that Eric's designs need to be *held* in order to be fully appreciated?
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
JD Spydo

Eric G >> Up & Coming

Post by JD Spydo »

I too love the Dodo. When I bought it I was a bit like MACTECH thinking that it was a "lifetime guaranteed box cutter". IF that had been the case I would have still been happy but much to my huge surprise I am to the point now that I wouldn't want to do my Ebay business and various other chores without the good old Dodo there to help me.

Also with the Manix which is Eric's biggest home run in my opinion: I think it is just one awesome folding camp knife. At first I thought it was just a bit too bulky but after getting a combo edged version I really changed my mind. Now I am on a quest for a second one for back up.

I think we can only expect more great designs coming our way from Eric. ;) :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

As most I was sold on the Dodo by handling one. Afterwards I discovered that all Erics designs fit my hand perfectly so nowadays I don't really feel the need to handle his designs anymore as I know the will fit.
I wouldn't want to do my Ebay business and various other chores without the good old Dodo there to help me.
:confused: I am still able to bid on Ebay without using any knife. I didn't know it has become so dangerous you needed a knife.
Mox

The "in the hand" problem

Post by Mox »

I agree with the above statements. The dodo has to be held to be fully appreciated. I had one that I lost at the dump (long sad story). I had to order one to replace it as soon as I got back to make sure I got one to replace it before they ran out.

The problem with only knowing it's good if you can try it in your hand is ... I don't know of any local stores that carry enough Spydies (or other decent brand for that matter) to really try them out. We live in the internet age. I order 95% of my knives site unseen, I only know what I see online in pictures and read on these types of message boards. And I live in a large city!

I only bought the Dodo based on feedback here and I bought a bunch of knives on a binge. Had I not been on a binge I wouldn't have bought it. Also I have tons of 'regular' knives so I was looking for something different. Those are two reasons 'regular' people wouldn't have to try a Dodo so I don't see how an everyday person would ever get to understand how useful a knife such as the Dodo is.

Granted the Dodo's original price is too high for an everday person. It was too high for me based on it's percieved usefullness. I love it and I've considered buying another one to have two, but I'm not sure I would have spent more than $100 on it.

I wish a had a New Graham in my 'hood. But I don't. It seems like it will be hard to sell knives based on *feel* when not enough people can feel them prior to purchase.

So while I greive for the Dodo, I'm not sure it could have been a commercial success in this day and age. Sad but true.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Eric does indeed a great job on ergonomics. I have the Dodo, Scorpius and Manix and all of those knives fit my hands like a glove.

I got a change to handle the Spin at the A'dam show and despite being a rather small knife, it's got a very secure 2 finger grip for my hands.

Eric's knives look like they were disigned blind folded and appear rather unusual, until you hold them. They seem to glue themselves to your hand to never let go ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I too love the Dodo and Scorpius. To me they look, feel, and cut amazingly. When I first got my 05 catalog the Scorpius, blue Pe Dodo, and blue Yojimbo were at the top of the list.
Mox wrote: I wish a had a New Graham in my 'hood. But I don't.
I wish that as well, as I know more about Spyderco than the 3 stores that carry Spydies in my general area. Only 1 of the 3 have anything even remotely current. So I buy most of my Spydies sight unseen.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
deeker

Post by deeker »

I'm sure what you all have said is true for many of the more 'unusual' designs Spyderco has come out with. They are wonderful to use and fit the hand very well. Most of us know that these knives are well designed, but those who are new to the brand, or knives in general, won't know what to expect.

I think very few of us buy something without handling it or reading reports on what to expect. When the price is high there is definitely a bit of shy-ness in laying down money for a wierd knife that may or may not satisfy the user. Spyderco seems to live up to the 'design in the dark' comment. They make great pieces that cut very well. Anyone should be able to find one that fits their particular hand and cutting needs.

I bought my Dodo just because SO MANY of you said it was wonderful. (You were all right, mind you. ;) ) If not for reading glowing reports and deciding to take the plunge, I wouldn't have one. I now have more confidence buying a Spydie without handling it, but I'm not sure the average buyer will feel the same way.

BTW, I will definitely be buying the 'unusual' shaped LAVA without ever handling it.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Add one more for Eric's designs. I recently "picked up" a Scorpius, and it was in the handling that I became a buyer of this knife. It just feels awesome and the looks became much more appealing to me after such a positive feel. I think Eric could design a number of knives with different blades and the same handle for different applications. If it works, why not?
I'm also planning on a Lava for the same reason. One of Chad's pics on another forum really makes the Lava look amazing , but it's got to be the handle ergos that really have me looking forward to it.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

I agree. I never wanted to trade for or buy a Dodo when I first saw one, although the design really appealed to me being of offset blade to handle ratio. The handle threw me off a bit upon sight. However...

When I got to handle a Dodo in 05, I was sold immediately. While my hand is a bit too small to *fully* appreciate the ergos of the Dodo, it was good enough for me!

My brother in law didn't like it though, but that was for entirely different reasons! :p

God bless :cool:

PS: Thanks deeker and flipe8 ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I agree that Eric is a 'wizard' of ergonomics, and weight distribution. I still think that the Manix feels much lighter than it actually is. But I also see careful attention to visual design. There is always a certain symmetry to the blades and handles, whether it is curvature or the direction in which both tip and butt actually point when the knife is opened.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
dialex

Post by dialex »

I loved the Dodo at first sight. It complies with my idea of a small sturdy knife. I'm not a huge fan of the ball lock (at least the way it is now - my impression could change once the "Pickle" comes out) but I do appreciate the overall functionality, craftsmanship and the flowing lines of the knife.
Indeed, you can see the functionality behind Eric's creations.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.