Snap-It - Question for the experts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rob

Snap-It - Question for the experts...

Post by Rob »

Hi all!

I recently purchased 3 Snap-It's off from e-bay. This are the knives:

Now my question :) The "Spyderco Story" mentions the black and red variant plus an orange version with sheepfoot blade made for Ironstone but not a black handled version. The steel on this knife is AUS-8 while the others feature G-2. Has anybody an idea when these were produced? I couldn't find any infos :( Oh, the correct SKU of this knife is C26SBK-EMT (taken from the box)

The red one is also interesting. Mine has a black shackle but I found a picture of a red handled Snap-It on the web somewhere with a red shackle as can be seen on the pics attached. What's the deal with this?

I'd really appreciate if anyone has more info on the Snap-It's than the "Spyderco Story" has.

Thank's in advance for your help!

Cheers, Rob

P.S. Spyderco should make more small folders with 15 mm holes. These are just too cool :D
Attachments
C26-red-red hook to compare.jpg
C26-red-red hook to compare.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
rob-c26.jpg
rob-c26.jpg (50.19 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
spyderwa

Red Snap-It

Post by spyderwa »

My understanding on the Red Snap-It is that the black clip model was the first version. The current red clip model is sold through AG-Russell for aprox. $50 if I remember correctly. There was also a difference on the size of the hole in the blade in some of the early examples. The Orange handle sheepsfoot from Ironstone is very hard to find. I have seen two. Generally I think Spyderco likes to have a run of 1000 to make it economical. There is less information on some of the "user" knives because they are intended for a different audience. That is what makes collecting them a challenge.

spyderwa
Rare Spydercos
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
Senate

Post by Senate »

eh Rob, I thought the dude said germany only in his auctions... ;)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
JD Spydo

EMT Snap It??/

Post by JD Spydo »

That third one down on the picture that "Rob F" has provided for us is called the EMT Snap it. I have heard that it is the rarest one of all. I heard that they only made them for one year. I have only seen one of them on EBay since I got mine and that was just recently. I would be willing to bet that is where "Rob F" got his. Also I have heard that plain edge Snap Its and plain edge Remote Release models are very scarce. :) :spyder:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Spyderwa, thanks for the info! It's indeed hard to find info on certain models. Thanks for pointing out the different opening hole. I didn't notice that on the first glance, but you are right. The one with the red hook seems to have a smaller hole than mine.

Senate, I got them from German e-bay. Maybe the seller had had the same or similar auctions on ebay.com aswell :confused:

JD, interesting :D Actually I wanted the red one only but the seller had the other two for sale aswell so I thought I better bid on all three before get none. After the auctions were over and I turned on my computer I found out that I got all three :D

In my opinion all three were a good deal: slightly over EUR 30 including shipping per knife. One of the official :spyder: dealers in Germany has the one in the top picture on sale now for EUR 50 PLUS shipping :D :rolleyes:

Cheers, Rob
Senate

Post by Senate »

Rob F wrote: Senate, I got them from German e-bay. Maybe the seller had had the same or similar auctions on ebay.com aswell :confused:
yeah I saw them on ebay.de, but I seem to recall he mentionned "ship to germany only", maybe I'm mistaken... anyway, you got them, that's cool :)

great website BTW!
Alexandre.
Spyderco WTC#1978
ken

Post by ken »

Rob F-

Let me ask you a question regarding your knives. From your pictures there are no snaps on them. Are these removeable? I thought they were part of the molded handle!

thanks,
ken
ken
crahen

Post by crahen »

ken wrote:Rob F-

Let me ask you a question regarding your knives. From your pictures there are no snaps on them. Are these removeable? I thought they were part of the molded handle!

thanks,
ken
I believe they are on the back side of the knife so when the blade is open you can't see them from the front side :D
Those in the know use Spyderco.
Senate

Post by Senate »

yep they're behind the blade and black so the dark background doesn't help... :)
Alexandre.
Spyderco WTC#1978
crahen

Post by crahen »

Senate wrote:yep they're behind the blade and black so the dark background doesn't help... :)
Well, if you play Proctologist, and look in the hole close, you can just make out the clip in back :D :D
Those in the know use Spyderco.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Ken, no they are not removable. I just thought that the pictures might look a little better if the hooks are not visible at the first glance. But thanks for the question! Have to make new pics anyway and your question indicates that the backside might also be interesting :) Please see the attached group shot (sorry for the quality but I had to fit it in the 100 KB limit :o )

Senate, I just realized that you're located in France! I thought you were in the US and talking about international e-bay :rolleyes: I always ask German sellers if they are willing to ship to Austria. Usually there's no problem. As we are within the EU there's bank transfer for free, no customs and us Austrians also have the bonus to speak the same language too :D

Just send a Mail to the seller asking if he would ship to France. Shouldn't be a problem either. Only be aware of the shipping costs. Postal Services in Germany are not really cheap and you can pay almost anything between EUR 2 and EUR 18 (depends what is sent and how)!!!

Cheers, Rob
Attachments
bachksideweb.jpg
bachksideweb.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 4214 times