Flashlight Batteries

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimd

Flashlight Batteries

Post by Jimd »

In the related thread about flashlights, Hannibal Lechter brought up a good point about batteries (specifically, AAA batteries).

That kind of inspired me to do a battery thread.

As Hannibal said, AAA-type batteries are easier to obtain, ie. most grocery stores, convenience stores, department stores, etc. carry them. They're relatively inexpensive, as well.

What are some of their disadvantages? Their storage life is finite; after setting around for a year or two, they die. If you grab your light and haven't used it for a time, your batteries could very well be dead. That could cause mild inconvenience at the least, to losing a life, at the worst.

Also, they're affected by cold temperatures, in that they won't work if they're very cold.

Now, on to the Lithium 123A-Type batteries. These are the kind that most people recognize from many cameras that use them. What are some disadvantages? Often, they cost a lot...sometimes like $8.00 each! They used to be tough to find, although that's quickly changing, and they can be found almost any place batteries are sold.

Some advantages of the Lithium batteries are that they operate well in cold conditions. They have a 10-year shelf life, which means that even if you don't use them, you can still expect them to work up to 10 years (or more) after setting around. To me, that's a huge plus. They're dependable.

Surefire now sells these Lithium 123A batteries for $15/per box of a dozen. That's just over $1/battery! The price disadvantage is a thing of the past, as they're easily affordable.

As far as the AAA batteries are concerned, I'd be okay utilizing a light with these kind if I got a lot of use out of the light (read, daily), and didn't have to stake my life on it. They're fairly economical.

If I want dependability (such as my duty lights and vehicle lights) then I go with the Lithium batteries.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

You can get lithium AAs and I have heard that lithiun AAAs are not far off.
I have a AA lithium in my Ulta G right now.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

NiMH rechargeables aren't that bad on an EDC.
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
CKE

Post by CKE »

I prefer Lithium 123A batteries(scorpion) as they are a constant bright till they basically fade. You don't have that dwindling candlepower of a AA of AAA. Take Care!!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

J Smith wrote:You can get lithium AAs and I have heard that lithiun AAAs are not far off.
I have a AA lithium in my Ulta G right now.
How do they compare price-wise? (I imagine they're at least a little more expensive than standard).
Have you been happy with their performance?
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

They are higher unless you find them at a very good price like I did.They seem to last longer and in LED lights seem to increase brightness.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]