Punyo Sumbrada & Punyo Crossada

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
pyrolyzer

Punyo Sumbrada & Punyo Crossada

Post by pyrolyzer »

I was just reviewing Advanced Fighting Folders I had some thoughts and questions about Punyo Sumbrada and Punyo Crossada.

1) Punyo Crossada (incorporated into the Sumbrada drill) normally falls at the Overhead part of the 1-4-3-2-Overhead sequence. Since the overhead angle could be treated as a #1 or a #2, could the Punyo technique drop in at either one of those spots in the sequence just as well?

2) The Punyo Sumbrada takes a high-line attack and turns it into a low-line attack. Can we reverse that safely? This would involve taking a low-line attack and using the live hand to swing it high to deal with using a #1 or #2 crossada. I don’t think this would be a great general purpose technique but might be a neat way to deal with a low-line #5 attack.

3) The normal Punyo Sumbrada drill involves Crossing high and uncrossing low . By that I mean using the live hand in a crossing fashion at the high-line (#1 Crossada) to move the attack to a low line attack where both hands un-cross (#4 Crossada). This makes sense. It unchecks my knife hand, puts his knife arm across his body centerline, and checks his arm before I perform my #4 crossada. So how about un-crossing high and crossing low? This would involve taking the overhead attack as a #2 crossada with the live hand and guiding it around and down to perform a #3 crossada with both of my hands. This would leave me exposed to his live hand unless, I take a strong step to my 11-o-clock (think O-Soto-Gari entry if you're familiar with this common throw) as I make my #2 crossada with my live hand. In doing that, I would take his knife hand strongly out of his “working zone” to HIS 3-o-clock position and leaving his free hand behind where it’s not a danger to me. I would also end this technique on his “outside” in a pretty good position to attack and avoid being attacked.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts?

Chuck
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Pyrolyzer!

Ahhhhhh, a "thinking man"! That's great!

IMHO, to answer #1 and #2, yes. If YOU can do it, then it can be done.

I am glad that you explore options and alternate "routes" to your SD techniques. I remember learning from this guy some of his Escrima...and he was SO fixed on his "this strike follows that, then this follows that..." that when I broke my attack sequence, he missed his parry, and he was like,"No, no...you're supposed to do this, NOT that!" Yeah, right, like I would say that on the street?! LOL!

After experienceing a LOT of takedowns and what not in my place of employ, I did a LOT of "what if" thinking...as there is NO sequence to real life attacks. IF you CAN do it, then it can be done...now, you might not be able to do it ALL the time, as there are just TOO many variables in SD...but at least YOU will know what YOU can do! *sigh*...sometimes I WISH it was as easy as going by the numbers! ;)

Train safe and God bless!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)