NRA V. UN on handguns

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Milu

NRA V. UN on handguns

Post by Milu »

I saw this on TSF

NRA V. UN on handguns: Act now!
http://www.nra.org/Article.aspx?id=1097

Having been on the receiving end of the UK handgun ban when I lived there this is an issue I feel very strongly about :

The Gun Debate on October 12th

The Great Gun Debate will be a TV debut for the Library of King's College London. Both Rebecca Peters from the IANSA and Wayne LaPierre from the NRA will speak on the topic of Gun Control. This will be a first in history where strong advocates from both sides come together and speak before a live audience. On Pay Per View, Check your local listings.

Yep, it's the NRA versus the UN on global gun control. The topic appears to be focused around the proposed United Nations treaty banning civilian possession of small arms. There's a vote on the topic as well.

Rebecca Peters almost single-handedly brought gun confiscation to Australia and to England, and is now the most feared gun-banner in the world. With more than 500 gun control organizations under her command worldwide, and with the unlimited financial backing of billionaire George Soros, she`s determined to make gun confiscation a reality here in the United States— through a U.N.-backed treaty that would be binding on every American citizen.
You and every American gun owner need to watch this debate—and see first-hand this enormous and very real threat to our Second Amendment rights.

Rebecca Peters: Chief Executive of IANSA (the International Action Network of Small Arms), In 1996 Rebecca was awarded the Australian Human Rights Medal for her work in promoting gun control in Australia... IANSA is the global network of civil society organizations working to stop proliferation and misuse of small arms and light weapons. IANSA brings world attention on the humantarian impact of these weapons and brings the voices and activities of non-government organizations and concerned individuals across the world. Founded in 1998 it now has more than 500 participant groups in nearly one hundred countries. Rebecca Peters works hand-in-hand with the United Nations to ban small arms around the globe. According to the NRA, "Peters engineered the 1996 campaign that banned, confiscated and destroyed 640,000 rifles and shotguns owned by law-abiding Australians.

Wayne LaPierre: Chief Executive of the National Rifle Association of America. The Association of its 4 million members, are staunch defenders of the Second Amendment rights and is a major player in the politcal arena and stands firm in its resolve to protect the right to keep and bear arms. The NRA was founded in 1871.

Wayne LaPierre has been with the NRA since 1978 and became its CEO in 1986 and is now its leading spokesperson on all NRA legislative activities at entry level of government.
Wayne serves on the board of the American Association of Political Consultants. He holds a Master's degree in American Government and Politics and a Bachelor's degree in Education and Political Science.

Source: Hermit @ TSF

Please wake up now.

http://www.thegundebate.com/
My father always taught me not to trust a man who was not interested in cars, guns and knives.
ken

Post by ken »

Milu-

Thank-you and thanks for the link.....

ken
ken
jbake

Post by jbake »

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

The U.N. sucks the third leg dry. I wish they'd get out of the U.S. and leave us alone.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

through a U.N.-backed treaty that would be binding on every American citizen.

How in the H@!! can a U.N. treaty that is in direct opposition to the 2nd. Amendment of the United States Constitution be legal & binding on American citizens?

I don't get it.
dyad

Post by dyad »

Yep, it's the NRA versus the UN on global gun control. The topic appears to be focused around the proposed United Nations treaty banning civilian possession of small arms. There's a vote on the topic as well
Milu, Thanks for your post. I want to add a couple more links as to what the UN has been working on the past few years. I can not think of anything good to say about the UN .

http://www.ssaa.org.au/ilaapl98.html
http://www.ssaa.org.au/UNpageindex.html

Outlaw:How in the H@!! can a U.N. treaty that is in direct opposition to the 2nd. Amendment of the United States Constitution be legal & binding on American citizens?
. It's because they can. More so since the signing of Patroit Act 2 and now the sequal. ( which no member of Congress read ). :mad:

Add to this : Ashcroft - Rumsfield swore in ALL law enforcement ..giving the them absoulte - complete power's. (Suppose to fight terrorism .) In reality what the UN and Patroit Act 2 , has done is further "weaking our 2 nd Amemdment rights". And we have NO legal recourse or oversite committee :mad: The NRA -GOA can only do so much. We all need to flood our Representives with S-mail - E-mail !

This is a firearm issue but I feel it effects what knives we are allowed to carry. (We are fighting very powerful polictical lobbyist. PETA - MADD for 2.)
My .02 worth.
Dyad
Concord_Bob

Post by Concord_Bob »

dyad wrote:
Add to this : Ashcroft - Rumsfield swore in ALL law enforcement ..giving the them absoulte - complete power's. (Suppose to fight terrorism .)
Man, I have no idea where you got that BS. Neither I or the other thousand peace officers with my agency were ever sworn in by any Fed.
dyad

Post by dyad »

Concord_Bob wrote:Man, I have no idea where you got that BS. Neither I or the other thousand peace officers with my agency were ever sworn in by any Fed.
Hi Bob.
This is not BS. This came from CNN - Fox news.
What Ashcroft and Rumsfield did ...was Had a (one ) representive from ALL -Each of the law enforcement agencies on stage for the swearing in.
Searching for the operative word here..I would say this was "symbolic" swearing in.
Ashcroft was in Columbus,Oh this past week holding an extensive workshop for all law enforcement officers. He will be holding simular workshops in other parts of the US.
Just curious what branch of law enforcement are you in ?
Dyad
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

It's because they can. More so since the signing of Patroit Act 2 and now the sequal. ( which no member of Congress read ).
:mad:

Because they can???

1st. "They" whoever they might be, would have to change the Constitution declaring the 2nd. Amendment null & void to enforce the "treaty"

2nd. I'm sure no US Ambassador to the UN would ever sign such a treaty. It would be political suicide for his superiors.

Enough said...