Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

yes
24%
YES
23%
Absolutely.
53%

Total votes: 83

Coastal

Re: Would you buy a Stretch XL Salt?

Post by Coastal »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:29 pm
sounds like yours will arrive before mine
Prediction: You will like this knife better than the Chief Salt or Chief LW.
vivi

Post by vivi »

nevermind i got mine. ill have some pictures up after i sneak outta work for a bit.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

finally got some h2 to test

only question now is what to dye it.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Beautiful blade, that hollow grind looks sweet. How do the ergos feel in hand?
I personally think It look great dyed some gray-green earthy tone
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Windward

Post by Windward »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:00 pm
Personally i think the stretch xl is the best feeling spyderco in the hand
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=92147
Tristan_david2001

Windward wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:11 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Personally i think the stretch xl is the best feeling spyderco in the hand

For a folder I agree it’s up there.. I have much more experience in the hand with the straight spine stretch 2 vg10 since I own one, and I’ve only briefly held the cruwear g10 stretch xl in store and I think I slightly prefer the stretch 2’s handle proportions, a little more stout and just the right length for my hand. But the ergos are obviously very similar. If they made a hollow ground ss stretch 2 I’d probably break down and buy one. One of my favorite harder use folding knife designs
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:20 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
viewtopic.php?t=92147
Thanks 👍 checkin it out!
vivi

Post by vivi »

here's a look at the tip profile & a comparison with a pe pacific salt 2 tip. this pacific salt has a thinned out edge but the tip is otherwise stock, not one of my thinned out tips.

it's meaty but not quite as beefy as the pacific.

for comparison here is a chief on the left and the vg10 ffg stretch xl on the right

kinda sad seeing the inevitable dethroning of the pacific salt. been a favorite of mine for a very long time now. I wanna say I got my first pinned pacific 1 around 2008 or 2009.

the stretch ergos always worked better for me than the endura.

gonna hold off on buying 17 pre-need backups like I did with pacific salts until I handle the chief salt though. that one could still end up being the best out of the three for me. we'll see.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This knife is superb.
Wartstein and Windward, excellent points. It epitomizes the everything you need, nothing you don't line of thinking.
vivi, you could dye it rasta again. I know you like that on your Pacific. Orange would be great too.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

By the way, vivi, the Pac Salt has been your champ for a long time. It had to end some day I suppose.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:41 pm
...the stretch ergos always worked better for me than the endura...

Chiming in on ergos. I've always wanted to like Stretch ergos (I own just two), however the Stretch has a sizeable hump (belly?) beneath the ring finger (on the regular Stretch at least, don't know under which finger the hump would land on an XL). The hump messes with a favorable grip for me, somewhat. Don't know why the ring finger needs to have the large cross-section of handle to circumnavigate. I've been tempted to sand the handle hump down in size, as I do on mules, but have never done it...it would ruin the FRN border and probably not look good.

I've wondered if the Stretch's designer has a ring finger that is as long or longer than his middle finger? Might explain it. My ring finger is shorter than my middle finger. (Oddly, and completely off topic, one author - Dr. Agus - writes that a relatively long ring finger in women predicts osteoarthritis! Weird.)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster, I thought the same thing about the Rock Jumper and Leaf Jumper. I have wondered if it would feel better with the palm swell moved slightly forward more towards the center. As of now it favors the rear. I'm sure there is a reason or thought process behind it. I am curious what that is.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:29 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:41 pm
...the stretch ergos always worked better for me than the endura...

Chiming in on ergos. I've always wanted to like Stretch ergos (I own just two), however the Stretch has a sizeable hump (belly?) beneath the ring finger (on the regular Stretch at least, don't know under which finger the hump would land on an XL). The hump messes with a favorable grip for me, somewhat. Don't know why the ring finger needs to have the large cross-section of handle to circumnavigate. I've been tempted to sand the handle hump down in size, as I do on mules, but have never done it...it would ruin the FRN border and probably not look good.

I've wondered if the Stretch's designer has a ring finger that is as long or longer than his middle finger? Might explain it. My ring finger is shorter than my middle finger. (Oddly, and completely off topic, one author - Dr. Agus - writes that a relatively long ring finger in women predicts osteoarthritis! Weird.)
#normalsizedhandproblems

if anything I could go for a slightly taller handle. works good for me as is though.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Vivi,

Be sure to show us what color(s) you used to dye it.

Hi Bolstero & JSumm,

I designed both the Jumpers and all of the the stretches. The swell is a compromise to try to fit all hand and finger shapes. Nothing works perfectly for everyone. I use my hands and the hands of a few in the office to refine our early designs. If it didn't work for me, I'd sand it to fit. Looks be damned.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The swell is swell. I wish the Endura had the swell.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

If it comes on PB washers and SE Magnacut, then maybe.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:54 pm
Hi Bolstero & JSumm,

I designed both the Jumpers and all of the the stretches. The swell is a compromise to try to fit all hand and finger shapes. Nothing works perfectly for everyone. I use my hands and the hands of a few in the office to refine our early designs. If it didn't work for me, I'd sand it to fit. Looks be damned.

sal
Thanks Sal! I personally prefer the swell. I was just curious if there was a reason it wasn't centered in the grip. Seems to favor the rear end of the handle. Maybe it gives a better hold for the stronger part of the grip being the first two fingers?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Windward

Post by Windward »

kobold wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:12 am
What's funny is the the lack of of pb washers is one of my favorite things about these linerless salts. One less thing to worry about corroding, as ive had pb washers do. Internally, the knife has only 2 parts. Lot less to worry about when the knife is working in, on, under and around salt water everyday . One of the beautiful things about spyderco though, is there is something for everyone.

Ill also say, maybe its because its a larger blade, but this might be the smoothest backlock salt ive ever had. Outside of a little lube around the pivot, didnt even need a loose pivot screw and it flicks right open. Everybit, if not smoother than, standard vg-10 models ive had with washers.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Windward wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 am
kobold wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:12 am
What's funny is the the lack of of pb washers is one of my favorite things about these linerless salts. One less thing to worry about corroding, as ive had pb washers do. Internally, the knife has only 2 parts. Lot less to worry about when the knife is working in, on, under and around salt water everyday . One of the beautiful things about spyderco though, is there is something for everyone.

Ill also say, maybe its because its a larger blade, but this might be the smoothest backlock salt ive ever had. Outside of a little lube around the pivot, didnt even need a loose pivot screw and it flicks right open. Everybit, if not smoother than, standard vg-10 models ive had with washers.

Along your lines and I don´t hesitate to reiterate what I´ve said in another thread already:

To me these Seki Salt in a way are the pinnacle of ingenious knife designing:

So few parts ("including", yes NO washers!), so light, but still so strong, perfectly working and capable.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)