Overall disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Overall disappointed

Post by vivi »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:17 am
That being said, I do think a lot of people on this forum have a weird obsession with over-hyping the capabilities of H1, and *especially* serrated H1, as being a super-good general purpose blade steel, when in reality it's a special-purpose steel that is only mediocre as a blade steel.
As someone that EDC's H1 about 60% of the week I think that your take on the steel is wrong.

It makes a great general purpose steel. My PE H1 Pacific Salt with a 180 grit edge will keep cutting for months, is tougher than any stainless Spyderco offers, and is among the easiest steels to sharpen.

Oh, it's also rust proof, which is nice.

If you made me pick just one Spyderco to carry for the rest of my life, it'd be this one.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Revival wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:46 am
Did I read that right?…you paid $250 for a Salt 2 Serrated?
As far as I recall (did not read the original post once more yet) for the 250 he bought a Salt 2 SE in H1 (and by that sabre hollow) first, which he still has but does not like
And then the Salt 2 PE in LC200N, which he liked (I think?) but lost.

/ My recommendation to the op: Give the H1 SE Salt 2 a chance and some time (sharpenings!!), and/ or round of the tips of the serrations a bit and make them a bit shallower
Further more, I could imagine that you´d generally get more accustomed to SE and to like it more
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danke

Post by Danke »

This is just a classic spit the dummy situation. Nothing more.

Even if he came back it would still be like trying to reason with a toddler.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Epic posts! Hahah! :grin-squint
Archimedes wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:08 pm
Tools are not for all primates.
Menipo wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:55 am
Are you sure you were carrying the knives the right way?

Wrong:

Right:

:winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Honestly, OP sounds like a person who has a habit of blaming others for their lack of knowledge and incompetence.

I carry a knife everyday; never had one just ride away.

Buy another knife and learn to carry it securely. If you spend enough money, you can get one in whatever blade configuration, handle material and most importantly, clip you deem fit.
So it goes.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Can we get details on where to find this new bright green Salt? I'm up for a little hiking.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

At this point it looks like the guy just wanted to make his post and be out...I say we let this die and fall down list, and hopefully not get brought back to life in another 6 months or 3 years.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:24 pm
At this point it looks like the guy just wanted to make his post and be out...I say we let this die and fall down list, and hopefully not get brought back to life in another 6 months or 3 years.
I agree total waste of time rather than doing something positive on the Forum .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

He was frustrated and we all must acknowledge that a $100 knife is an investment for most folks. Losing it would suck. Maybe the post was in poor form but he was just venting. To many the internet is a black hole and he may have just wanted to shout into the abyss. We shouldn’t take it personal. He has six posts on here and they are all just complaints. Let it be.

Overall this thread just proves what a good community this is. Thanks everybody for reminding me of it yet again.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

This thread needs pictures!
I'll start:

Wait a second... Is that the infamous SE H1 Salt 2 that I see in its usual habitat? :thinking
You're right! Like a bird in its nest :smiling-hearts

Seriously, I understand OP's frustration.
Although I never lost a knife, I had multiple pocket knives from different brands catch on seat belts, backpack straps and, the worst one, that elastic cord on the bottom of hiking jackets.
But let's get back to what's important: share your sock's drawer pictures :rofl
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

All comfy cozy in the sock drawer, and your dye job looks fantastic.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I actually love carrying my Spyderco knives because they don't come out of my pockets. Best way not to arm your adversary!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

:winking-tongue Perfect Toni!!
tonijedi wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:45 pm
This thread needs pictures!
I'll start:

Wait a second... Is that the infamous SE H1 Salt 2 that I see in its usual habitat? :thinking
You're right! Like a bird in its nest :smiling-hearts

Seriously, I understand OP's frustration.
Although I never lost a knife, I had multiple pocket knives from different brands catch on seat belts, backpack straps and, the worst one, that elastic cord on the bottom of hiking jackets.
But let's get back to what's important: share your sock's drawer pictures :rofl
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:17 am
I ride a bike with a spyderco clipped to my pocket every day and have never had a problem with one of mine working it's way out of the pocket. That's a really unusual and frustrating issue to have.

That being said, I do think a lot of people on this forum have a weird obsession with over-hyping the capabilities of H1, and *especially* serrated H1, as being a super-good general purpose blade steel, when in reality it's a special-purpose steel that is only mediocre as a blade steel.
Yeah..... yeah, PE H1 kind of sucks for edge retention in my experience and the suggestion that SE some how work hardens during minor grinding processes that aren't really known to cause work hardening seems a bit magical. I definitely think guiding new folks to a purchase like that is probably a bit of a disservice compared to.... well most other spydies.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I am not sure how any other brand of pocket clipped folder would be any better than a spyderco? I have used and carried Buck, Cold Steel, Kershaw, Benchmade and Spyderco knives since 1994. I have been a commercial fisherman, tugboat crewman, charter boat deckhand and captain, fisheries observer, assistant harbormaster/marine patrol officer and now I am in fisheries law enforcement. I have spent nearly my entire adult life on or around boats and the sea and have lost exactly one knife- a Byrd folder that I accidentally left on top of a trawl of lobster pots I was setting. My replacement Byrd Rescue i snagged the clip and bent it, then broke it trying to bend it back. I used that knife for another probably 5 years as my only knife until the serrations were sharpened to nubs. I have used several Enduras, Delicas, a Harpy, a Large Dyad, a Military, several Polices, countless Byrds, several Atlantic Salts, a Pacific Salt and many others I can’t remember. I find for real work the Spyderco opening hole is unrivaled, FRN is nearly unbreakable, and the clips are secure yet not so tight that they eat up your pocket.
I also don’t take good photos but if you want to see hard use spyderco knives search my post history here or on bladeforums.

I have carried the same Buck Bantam for 4 and a half years that was a gift from my girlfriend’s parents, so I cant bear to leave it home, but i still have a Byrd Meadowlark Rescue in my patrol truck and a SE Atlantic Salt in my search and rescue gear. I also have a Police in my boot knife pocket and havent lost that yet either.

It seems you are upset because you lost a knife, as I would be as well, however I dont think that is Spyderco’s fault or an inherent flaw in their product but rather operator/user error.
Good luck with finding a suitable replacement knife.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

You guys are cracking me up with the pics of the knife outside of the pocket and the one in a sock drawer.

I can't help but feel that Oceansidepatrick is a troll. His story about his dragonfly seems unbelievable how despite how tightly he screwed it down, it just kept falling apart several times a day. He doesn't seem interested in conversing on the issue and just comes here to complain and insult others.

I can't take someone seriously when they report a problem and do nothing to try to resolve it. A person who does that is not sincere.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Alexander135 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:38 am
You guys are cracking me up with the pics of the knife outside of the pocket and the one in a sock drawer.

I can't help but feel that Oceansidepatrick is a troll. His story about his dragonfly seems unbelievable how despite how tightly he screwed it down, it just kept falling apart several times a day. He doesn't seem interested in conversing on the issue and just comes here to complain and insult others.

I can't take someone seriously when they report a problem and do nothing to try to resolve it. A person who does that is not sincere.
Hi Alexander135 , check out OFF TOPIC if you really want to crack up and make all of this go away . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

Thanks MG2. I'll definitely check it out :)