Which spyderco is in the mail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AutoRock

Re: Which spyderco is in the mail?

Post by AutoRock »

The Leafjumper just came in, courtesy of Blades Canada and their nice MAP holiday discount:

Obviously I'm just entering the honeymoon period, but the first impression is - this thing is awesome! This is my first Seki blade and my normal daily carry is a Native 5 LWT (Spy27). In comparison to the N5, apart from the difference in size, the Leafjumper has a more rounded, less blocky handle with a thinner blade that also feels thinner behind the edge. The no-choil/no-ricasso concept is right up my alley - none of my other folders or fixed blades have a choil, apart from the N5.

I'm really looking forward to putting the Leafjumper through its paces this winter. I've already tried opening it wearing oversized shell mittens and it works rather well, because of the generous, fully exposed thumb hole. It's the only knife I own that I can open one-handed while wearing mittens, and regular winter gloves won't be a problem at all.

Once I've used it for a while, I'll post some impressions in the Leafjumper thread.
paulgvb

Post by paulgvb »

That’s an attractive knife. Enjoy.
Spyderbot_matrix

Post by Spyderbot_matrix »

$250 Mystery Box from 12/1/23 online seconds sale…

I’m stoked honestly
vanka

Post by vanka »

All three in the same day. Funny thing is that the pm3 and the stretch 2 XL were posted 11 days apart from dlt and knifejoker.

Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Urban with Ivory G10 and Damasteel, should be here soon! :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-heart-eyes
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

Found a Stretch 2 ZDP-189 - Merry Christmas to me. :smiling-halo
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

In a display of the human capacity for self-delusion I held for several days that I would pass on the SNK 4V Deadpool Mannix 2 & the TKJ Para3 LW Cru-wear.

Both incoming.
Brian
vivi

Post by vivi »

4v mini manix
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:35 pm
4v mini manix
All this "mini Manix" is going to confuse anybody new to Spyderco, probably best to leave it at "Manix", ya know...the name of the actual model.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I'm new and I've already been able to deduce Vivi's running joke and enjoy it. Besides, ya know... the name in the book is a Manix 2 Lightweight. Calling it a "Manix" is going to confuse anybody new to Spyderco and make them think it's a large 3.75" blade lockback that's been disco'd.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

^Anyone new to spyderco only probably knows about the manix 2 design. Not the old disco’d version
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:45 pm
I'm new and I've already been able to deduce Vivi's running joke and enjoy it. Besides, ya know... the name in the book is a Manix 2 Lightweight. Calling it a "Manix" is going to confuse anybody new to Spyderco and make them think it's a large 3.75" blade lockback that's been disco'd.
Whats the joke? Is it just a way of telling us he has big hands with out telling us?

If I’m not mistaken, he calls both the Manix 2 and the Manix 83mm a “Mini Manix.” I can’t personally deduce what the joke is about that but I am definitely confused by it, like many others.
- Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:45 pm
I'm glad someone else here is able to grasp the great and wonderful mini manix. Might be too mini to deserve me giving it so many chances, but maybe I need some more mini in my life and I just don't know it yet.
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:17 pm
vivi wrote:
4v mini manix
All this "mini Manix" is going to confuse anybody new to Spyderco, probably best to leave it at "Manix", ya know...the name of the actual model.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spyderco+mini ... &ia=images

so confusing! :rofl
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
vivi wrote:
4v mini manix

No need to be vain about it. This whole “mini manix” fixation can be confusing. It does feel intentionally provocative at this point though. If that’s part of the “joke” I guess I get it but the humor is lost on me personally.

———

Spydies in the mail - I have a couple wooden Lil Native kits on the way but they’re taking the scenic route from Virginia down through Memphis Tennessee before heading to the northeast. I haven't heard much about the edge retention of laser cut maple but I’m excited to find out for myself. ;) :bug-white-red :respect
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

AutoRock wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:38 am
The Leafjumper just came in, courtesy of Blades Canada and their nice MAP holiday discount:

Obviously I'm just entering the honeymoon period, but the first impression is - this thing is awesome! This is my first Seki blade and my normal daily carry is a Native 5 LWT (Spy27). In comparison to the N5, apart from the difference in size, the Leafjumper has a more rounded, less blocky handle with a thinner blade that also feels thinner behind the edge. The no-choil/no-ricasso concept is right up my alley - none of my other folders or fixed blades have a choil, apart from the N5.

Good choice!

I had a RockJumper SE (same handle as the LeafJumper), and while the Native 5 LW looks really cool and is nice for lighter duty tasks, just for me it is no match for the RJ or LJ when it comes to ergos and stability in hand when using the knife rather "hard".

Additionally, the plus in cutting edge is always good to have (though this is still my main gripe with the RJ/LJ: The imo missed opportunity to really give it a lot of edge for the handle size. There´d be space in the handle for that).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:32 am
vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:47 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
vivi wrote:
4v mini manix

No need to be vain about it. This whole “mini manix” fixation can be confusing. It does feel intentionally provocative at this point though. If that’s part of the “joke” I guess I get it but the humor is lost on me personally.

———

Spydies in the mail - I have a couple wooden Lil Native kits on the way but they’re taking the scenic route from Virginia down through Memphis Tennessee before heading to the northeast. I haven't heard much about the edge retention of laser cut maple but I’m excited to find out for myself. ;) :bug-white-red :respect
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Great song! 🎶 :party-face
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:56 am
Great song! 🎶 :party-face
agreed!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Got myself a second GB1 to keep the first one pristine.
I never did that for any model, but I think this one deserves it.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds