Forum Knife???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Forum Knife???

Post by steelcity16 »

You lost me at slipjoint. Would rather spend my money on one of the many other models I still am after. Maybe alternate between locking, slippie, and fixed, if this becomes a yearly thing??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

UKPK, FRN, Leaf Blade, Spy-27. Sounds like a winner to me. :)

I'd buy the Lil Native slip joint as well, though.
Worm

Post by Worm »

UKPK, G-10, SPY27: YES, please --> I'm in
blade shape: hollow grind anything :winking-tongue (or leaf shape with a swedge)
Engraving: some pattern on the G10 please :cheap-sunglasses (maybe Spyderco's diamond arc pattern, or cobalt blue micarta)
(I think plain G10 often looks too plain, would even prefer FRN because of some nice pattern)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My personal preference would be UKPK over Lil Native, but honestly, as a FORUM knife I'd gladly take whatever it might be.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I would happily buy two of either of the proposed knives (an heir and a spare). I love both models separately, and being from the land of sub 3” non-locking cookies only, either of these knives would make a great pocket legal option for me when visiting family.

Count me firmly in.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Don't have a UKPK, but I would surely grab a SPY27 cobalt blue one in G10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Matus

Post by Matus »

UKPK, Spy27, FRN or G10 (FRN suits the knife better than G10 IMO - I have both, but if G10 would be easier for inlay, then let's go that route, but make it smooth if possible, so it does not shred trousers), Leaf or drop point - I prefer DP, but would get either. If handle inlay/mark is not practicable or too expensive, then etching on the blade would be fine too.

Grind - extra thin FFG if possible, hollow grind drop point would be super cool too (just a wild idea)

2024 is perfectly fine - you can't hurry love they say :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

A Cobalt blue SPY27 UKPK is fully in line with what Sal has outlined, and would work for me.
There was a time when I really anticipated the long rumored Lil' Native slipit, but keeping the OG blade stock kind of killed my enthusiasm. At this point I'm much more inclined to try a UKPK.

On a less serious note, and kind of inspired by Leathermans recent resurrection and last time sale of Juice's they assembled from parts they had laying around.
If Spyderco has some exoctic parts laying around, they could use the opportunity to get rid of some "clutter" and offer something truly unique at the same time. Like for instance some test batches of discarded Vanax and ultem could easily make a pretty unique "saltish" UKPK.
As I said, not being serious at all... well, unless the big fish bites. Then it could get really serious, really fast :D
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wouldn't be opposed to a K390 clipitool with scissors :')
Even S35VN
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Lil Native, I’ll buy 2 in any combo

UKPK, I’ll buy one in any combo

Blue Micarta would be rad on either!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
msum

Post by msum »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:05 am
Cheese & rice. OK. let's talk forum knife.

First of all, we would prefer to make them in Golden which isn't likely for at least a year. 2024.
2) We would need to have a model.
3) We would need to have a blade steel, which in my opinion should be SPY27.
4) If we use SPY27, we have to use a handle color that would be as close too Cobalt Blue as possible.
5) We need a blade shape and grind.
6) We need a target quantity and a minimum of 1,000 is better for us, though in the past, selling 1,000 forum knives has not been an easy task. Maybe a poll?
7) In my opinion, in order to respect our esteemed guests not in the USA, a non-locker would probably be the best direction.

With those thoughts in mind, are we still in the conversation?

UKPK, G-10, SPY27 - blade shape?
Lil' Native Slip joint - SPY27 - blade shape?

Engraving; Where, what,

sal
Huh, I wrote a super long reply that disappeared... So here is something a bit shorter.

UKPK or Lil’ Native both sound good enough to me.

Maybe MagnaCut instead of SPY27 would sell more units? But SPY27 makes complete sense… For carbon steels it would be hard to go past 15V or CruWear or M4 - ApexUltra would be quite the drawcard for some, as well, I imagine…

Locking would be ideal, but slipjoint is no dealbreaker for me.

I’d put another word in for blue micarta, if going with SPY27. Micarta of any colour would be great.

I’d put in a word for a blade that is super thin behind the edge, thin spine (2-3mm), full flat or hollow grind. I’m into Wharncliffes at present, but would advise going with whatever is most popular at the moment (unlikely to be Wharnie), in order to help move units!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:44 pm
Dodge wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:30 pm
Sal, does a forum knife have to be “special” ? Can we just have a production knife that’s engraved? I think modern problems call for modern solutions. This could be a memento of how strained supply chains are right now.
Not a bad idea.

In another thread someone suggested offering Uptern’s with our forum names engraved on them. I think it was maybe Standy99 that first had this idea. Personally I like this idea but would also like to see the year and “Spyderco Forum” on a forum knife too.

Yes was me. I would be happy with a Uptern with a forum name engraved on the side…

Was more than happy when these were released years ago by Spyderco…
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I think a poll with Sal's two options is in order. Would be easier than people posting up in this thread, post by post. If nobody else wants the task, LMK, and I'll do it. At this point it looks like the poll contains these questions:

1) UKPK, G-10, SPY27 in blue - or - Lil' Native Slip joint - SPY27 in blue -
2) Blade shape (options are what: leaf, wharncliffe, what else?)

Once that's settled, I propose a second poll, that asks "How many you plan to buy?" If that poll doesn't get near 1000 buy responses, then...dark clouds on the horizon.

I think if Spyderco had a measure of interest, it would be easier for them to make the call.

What say?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 am
I think a poll with Sal's two options is in order. Would be easier than people posting up in this thread, post by post. If nobody else wants the task, LMK, and I'll do it. At this point it looks like the poll contains these questions:

Once that's settled, I propose a second poll, that asks "How many you plan to buy?" If that poll doesn't get near 1000 buy responses, then...dark clouds on the horizon.

I think if Spyderco had a measure of interest, it would be easier for them to make the call.

What say?

I´d appreciate it and be thankful if you started that poll!

I have to be honest though:
- I can hardly imagine that we´d get to 1000 in that second poll..
- BUT: That then STILL more than 1000 forum knives would actually get sold, after Spyderco announced such a model
- a bit of a dilemma, right??
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

You da MAN, Wart. Will do. Be back shortly.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 am

What say?
I think it is a wonderful idea , but I fear from what has been said by Sal it may be futile . I think it is a great idea having two knives and two different blade styles for each knife . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SPYFORKNIF24

This poll is currently in DRAFT mode. While you can take it, your answers won't count. It's in DRAFT mode to see if there are options that should be included or left out...a sort of pilot test for the poll. Primarily, I want to be certain I got Sal's options correct in the poll before it goes live.

After the poll is finialized, I'll post here and let you know that the poll has gone live and is actually collecting data. Again, it is not currently collecting data. But you can test the poll now.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Blade shape would only apply to the UKPK because the Lil Native Slipjoint only comes with one blade shape.

I think a “how many you plan to buy” poll is a bit silly and won’t prove much of anything but have at it, I guess!

Also, just make a new thread and use the forums built in poll option… stop making people jump through hoops with a third party polling website to answer a overly simple two option voting poll!
- Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for nearly instant feedback!

1) Is this true? Do I need to make the blade shape question apply only to the UKPK? I can do that.

2) Intent of a second poll is not to prove anything. It's to gauge interest. BUT, it's optional. Maybe Spyderco can gauge interest from this poll alone? Dunno.

3) Fine with me, go ahead if that's what you want to do. I'm just trying to help out. If you want me to do the poll I'm going with professional polling software which is more flexible. Pesonally I don't consider clicking on a URL to be a difficult "hoop."
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Hey, Bolster, the only thing I see is the UKPK comes in Drop Point and Leaf Shape. I have seen both brought up. I would have thought the Leaf was more popular, but I do see a lot of folks asking for a Drop Point. It would be interesting to see what the numbers actually say.

Also, thanks for taking the initiative to put that together.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005