Best PM2 in either M390/204P/20CV

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Best PM2 in either M390/204P/20CV

Post by JD Spydo »

Particularly for the PM 2 model I've had great results with M390 and M-4 both. Never tried a PM 2 in 204P but I would love to try out a "user" folder with that blade steel at some point.

Also I've enjoyed my PM 2 with S110V even though I tend to like M390 somewhat better for rough cutting jobs.

The PM 2 is a great all purpose blade to evaluate the premium blade steels with. As well as the C-36 Military model.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If you need to cherry pick the Rockwell hardness with your knives, production knives might not be for you. I guess you just want someone to tell you the "2018 green exclusives from xyz dealer, but only the first 100 have the highest Rockwell number", but it's not that simple. If you need the validation that you own "the best", the best way is to buy a bunch, and Rockwell test them yourself.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:37 pm
If you need to cherry pick the Rockwell hardness with your knives, production knives might not be for you.
I've seen mention of this "cherry picking" test results a couple times. I simply found a few tests that include results of various PM2s with differing blade steels.

If you feel like the results I posted are inaccurate or non-representative, please provide other results that you feel are a better representation.

That's why I posted this thread, to collect as much data and feedback as possible. Simply saying "they're the same because they have the same manufacturer's specs" might be good enough for some people, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Pun not intended ;)
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

salimoneus wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:54 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
If you need to cherry pick the Rockwell hardness with your knives, production knives might not be for you.
I've seen mention of this "cherry picking" test results a couple times. I simply found a few tests that include results of various PM2s with differing blade steels.

If you feel like the results I posted are inaccurate or non-representative, please provide other results that you feel are a better representation.

That's why I posted this thread, to collect as much data and feedback as possible. Simply saying "they're the same because they have the same manufacturer's specs" might be good enough for some people, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Pun not intended ;)
Can you show us what in your provided data indicates that there is a difference in the three steels themselves?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

salimoneus wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:54 pm
GarageBoy wrote:

I'm not talking about cherry picking test results, I just think if you can't handle that one knife maybe half a point lower than another knife, that you may want to pick another hobby. Do you care that your car makes 500hp vs 505hp?

The results between the m390/204p/20cv knives are close enough. It's not like where the hap40 knives were a few points softer vs the rex45 knives
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have the PM2 in 20CV and CTS204. They are both great.

I avoid M390 because it is "too popular". That is one of my guiding lights. Avoid popular steels.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

salimoneus wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:21 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:39 pm
But you asked specifically about Spyderco's PM2. Sure different manufacturers may HT the steels differently.

You asked for input on if anyone of these steels in the PM2 out performs the other and several people have weighed in to say no. Any difference would be specific to that individual knife. Yet, you summarily reject this input and only seem interested in responses that coincide with your premise that one must surely be superior.

If Deadboxhero tells you there is no difference based on the steels themselves, you can take that to the bank and I don't care what YouTube personality gets tossed up to suggest otherwise.
I did ask specifically about these steels in PM2's, and that's what I've been focusing on, as well as the data I've been linking and attempting to source. That's partly exactly why I wanted to keep the comparisons within the same model knife, to reduce the variables such as blade geometry, etc.

You may take the words from Deadboxhero as being the absolute truth, but he's provided no real evidence as to his claims of everything being exactly the same regardless of the metal's manufacturer, and in fact the more I research there actually exists data and other evidence which goes to the contrary of his claim.

So I remain skeptical and nothing is "bankable" at this point in my opinion.
All I can say is wow.
Shaun knows more about knife steel than most of the members here combined.

Maybe venture over to Knife Steel Nerds and see what Dr. Thomas says about the steels.
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/30/ ... echnology/

I guess doubting BBB is easier than searching for answers you desire.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Superflex wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 pm
Sorry, the only BBB I am aware of is the Better Business Bureau, and they aren't exactly an authority on anything except for whomever supplies the most donations.

What data does your BBB present that could offer some tangible insight, other than just some random person's opinion?

And what data does Dr. Thomas present that is specific to Spyderco PM2 releases? It seems that entire article is very general and mostly based in on-paper analysis of the steels as opposed to actual real world testing and usage. If everything was determined simply by "on-paper" figures there would never be a reason to question anything.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:52 pm
I have the PM2 in 20CV and CTS204. They are both great.

I avoid M390 because it is "too popular". That is one of my guiding lights. Avoid popular steels.
Alright fair enough, I'll hold you to that as soon as Magnacut gets released in the more popular mainstream models. I'll expect you to avoid it completely ;)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Well you forgot bed bath & beyond

But I prefer big, brown and beautiful.

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 am
Superflex wrote:
Sorry, the only BBB I am aware of is the Better Business Bureau, and they aren't exactly an authority on anything except for whomever supplies the most donations.

What data does your BBB present that could offer some tangible insight, other than just some random person's opinion?

And what data does Dr. Thomas present that is specific to Spyderco PM2 releases? It seems that entire article is very general and mostly based in on-paper analysis of the steels as opposed to actual real world testing and usage. If everything was determined simply by "on-paper" figures there would never be a reason to question anything.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am
Well you forgot bed bath & beyond

But I prefer big, brown and beautiful.

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:59 am
Superflex wrote:

:rofl
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can't believe this thread about a ho hum steel/steels is 4 pages long. This feels like a thread for 2018.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Opposite sides of a three-sided coin, I judge from my casual (i.e. NOT side-by-side) use of each.

In light of Rick’s comment, I would deride the hype of this category of steel, but hardly its performance.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:36 am
I can't believe this thread about a ho hum steel/steels is 4 pages long. This feels like a thread for 2018.
Unfortunately it's mostly clutter from a handful of people telling me this topic shouldn't even be discussed, with claims of "misinformation" and such. It seems people are buying into the pro-censorship mentality being pushed as of late which is a real shame. But that's another topic entirely.

I have absolutely nothing to gain or lose from bringing up this topic one way or another, except for deciding which knives to let go of so I can start saving for all the upcoming magnacut :star-struck
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:53 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Unfortunately it's mostly clutter from a handful of people telling me this topic shouldn't even be discussed, with claims of "misinformation" and such. It seems people are buying into the pro-censorship mentality being pushed as of late which is a real shame. But that's another topic entirely.

I have absolutely nothing to gain or lose from bringing up this topic one way or another, except for deciding which knives to let go of so I can start saving for all the upcoming magnacut :star-struck
Oh good grief. You've missed the point of several of us. It isn't about censorship at all. Relax.

It absolutely is a valid topic. The problem as I see it isn't clutter, it's that you don't appear receptive to the numerous people who have told you that there is no difference in the steels themselves. You dismiss all of this and insist on sighting your lone data source.

I asked you to please extract from the data that you provided that you feel supports that there is a difference in these steels themselves.

You've also snottily dismissed one of the most respected members of the knife making and sharpening community. While that is surely your right to do, it isn't going to help you learn or garner you a ton of support.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

For what it's worth, my clutter was not meant to censor anything, but I will see myself out and have gained an opinion of OP. Best of luck in your decision. If you ever decide to test, it would be interesting to hear your results.
So it goes.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm
It absolutely is a valid topic. The problem as I see it isn't clutter, it's that you don't appear receptive to the numerous people who have told you that there is no difference in the steels themselves. You dismiss all of this and insist on sighting your lone data source.
If you got the impression I've dismissed others opinions, that's was not my intention. I don't think I have told anyone they were wrong or outright disagreed with anyone. I certainly respect people's experiences and right to their own opinion, and I'm still forming mine. I have come to no conclusion, I've simply pointed out that there is existing data and test results which seem to indicate there are some differences between the various manufacturers offerings which do affect performance.

Anyone is free to post data sources to support their position, I just haven't seen anything yet. I'm all ears and eyes.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Knife Steel Nerds (Dr. Larrin) have been a great resource. Good article linked below. Although it will not tell you which one is better. I still say grab the scales you prefer.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/30/ ... echnology/
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

salimoneus wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:23 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm
I have come to no conclusion, I've simply pointed out that there is existing data and test results which seem to indicate there are some differences between the various manufacturers offerings which do affect performance.
Please share this data and test results you speak of.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
:squinting-tongue

I was thinking the same thing. I kept looking for "Cruwear" and "K390" in every post...
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...