How to increase Spydercos profits

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: How to increase Spydercos profits

Post by abbazaba »

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Baiting a troll is an internet sin...so here's a compliment: Great job on getting a four page forum thread in only one day.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think you guys are doing a poor job at listening to an individual express himself. I don't see shiny footprints except from Sal and Kristi and one or two others. The rest are just dismissive and insulting a guys who wants to talk knives. You may not agree with him and you may believe he has ulterior motives but this is the second thread I've seen where this guy is just trying to talk and guys are passive aggressively insulting him and his ideas. I've seen nothing that deserves him being bashed yet it's running rampant in this thread. Is that "shiny footprints" or is that passive hostility at someone who disagrees with you?

Please, if there is even one good thing about this forum (there's more but this is the main one) it's that people can be themselves as long as they're not hostile. They have a platform to discuss their hobby without overbearing moderation and talk without the whole "we can be a dick but you can't" mentality so pervasive on bladeforums. Chill out, the dude presented some ideas. I don't agree with them but I'm not going to bash the guy for having them either.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bodog wrote:I think you guys are doing a poor job at listening to an individual express himself. I don't see shiny footprints except from Sal and Kristi and one or two others. The rest are just dismissive and insulting a guys who wants to talk knives. You may not agree with him and you may believe he has ulterior motives but this is the second thread I've seen where this guy is just trying to talk and guys are passive aggressively insulting him and his ideas. I've seen nothing that deserves him being bashed yet it's running rampant in this thread. Is that "shiny footprints" or is that passive hostility at someone who disagrees with you?

Please, if there is even one good thing about this forum (there's more but this is the main one) it's that people can be themselves as long as they're not hostile. They have a platform to discuss their hobby without overbearing moderation and talk without the whole "we can be a dick but you can't" mentality so pervasive on bladeforums. Chill out, the dude presented some ideas. I don't agree with them but I'm not going to bash the guy for having them either.

I'm gonna take a guess and say you haven't been a part of this guy's previous threads. Knowing what you know about this forum, do you think someone would start a thread and not be taken seriously by anyone without having first earned it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bodog wrote: Chill out, the dude presented some ideas. I don't agree with them but I'm not going to bash the guy for having them either.
Words of wisdom. Thanks for those :).

I don't feel it's right to carry a grudge from one post to another and try to see each one as a unique transaction. That said, it's extremely difficult. The OP has certainly made waves in the past which are likely amplifying the results of his proposal.

Nonetheless. Thank you for the maturity!
Evil D wrote:I'm gonna take a guess and say you haven't been a part of this guy's previous threads. Knowing what you know about this forum, do you think someone would start a thread and not be taken seriously by anyone without having first earned it?
This forum is a pretty gentle place extending more initial grace than often deserves. If a person tends to post in an acerbic way even the nicest people do quickly tire of them.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:
Bodog wrote:I think you guys are doing a poor job at listening to an individual express himself. I don't see shiny footprints except from Sal and Kristi and one or two others. The rest are just dismissive and insulting a guys who wants to talk knives. You may not agree with him and you may believe he has ulterior motives but this is the second thread I've seen where this guy is just trying to talk and guys are passive aggressively insulting him and his ideas. I've seen nothing that deserves him being bashed yet it's running rampant in this thread. Is that "shiny footprints" or is that passive hostility at someone who disagrees with you?

I'm gonna take a guess and say you haven't been a part of this guy's previous threads. Knowing what you know about this forum, do you think someone would start a thread and not be taken seriously by anyone without having first earned it?
I've seen several threads with him. He's an antagonist. Sometimes that's necessary to stir things up in a positive manner. Sometimes it's a pain in the *** and simply annoying. And sometimes, as with any person, you have to take the good with the bad. Sometimes what makes something good also makes it bad. Sometimes the good IS the bad. Just depends on the context and timing. I do believe people deserve a fair shake and the people here are much better than in other places. A large part of that is Sal stepping in with his own imperfections and reminding people that people are just people. Bashing someone rarely leads to anything good, even if you find that someone annoying.

Maybe this guy will be the next big thing in the knife world and he'll produce a design you love. Or maybe he'll fade away into obscurity. Either way, we should all TRY to be decent. As much as I like spyderco knives I respect Sal, even without knowing him, because of his understanding of people and humility combined with some real experience in the world building a respectable business that strives only to beat its own standards and March to its own drumbeat without engaging in petty battles with other companies or people. We could all learn from that. I'm sometimes terrible with that and even in the real world away from the Internet and all this I find myself trying to zen out and practice what Sal preaches here. Accept people as you'd want to be accepted, even if others find you irritating.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be completely honest, I think people have their "be nice" mode in full effect, or you would surely see a different tone in these threads.
~David
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:To be completely honest, I think people have their "be nice" mode in full effect, or you would surely see a different tone in these threads.
Why would people be anything but nice? Has the guy insulted anyone? I'm just curious, that's all.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bodog wrote:
Evil D wrote:To be completely honest, I think people have their "be nice" mode in full effect, or you would surely see a different tone in these threads.
Why would people be anything but nice? Has the guy insulted anyone? I'm just curious, that's all.
Well...people who don't quickly forget annoyances are likely considering that other trainwreck of a thread. For people who try to take every new topic objectively maybe his comment of Spyderco's trademark being a "hole fetish" rubbed them the wrong way. I know I tuned-out quickly after reading that.

As for why people would be anything but nice, I would like to introduce you to: The world. Civilization says we have to listen to everyone's opinion, vote, and play nice. Naturally though humanity is more primitive; pushing out the weak, forming alliances with like-minded groups, etc. No it's not "right" but it's nature vs nurture 101. That's why when people say, "Be civilized" it's usually when we are acting like animals.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Step 1 - steal underpants
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I commend you Bodog for taking the high road and agree with what you are saying. However, the OP has a history of starting inflammatory threads and I think every thread he has started has been just like this one. He got banned from BF in a hot minute for doing it but this forum is much more tolerant which is awesome.

The way I see it, you reap what you sow. He is just getting what he came for. If we have made any mistake it is that we are giving him just what he wants. I think that for the most part we are just trying to have a little fun with it and I don't think that anybody is taking it too seriously.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

If he is having fun at our expense I don't see why we can't have a little fun at his expense?

Oh yeah, dogs rule!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Cat's do have their moments though...

-Darby
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Blerv wrote:
Bodog wrote:
Well...people who don't quickly forget annoyances are likely considering that other trainwreck of a thread. For people who try to take every new topic objectively maybe his comment of Spyderco's trademark being a "hole fetish" rubbed them the wrong way. I know I tuned-out quickly after reading that.

As for why people would be anything but nice, I would like to introduce you to: The world. Civilization says we have to listen to everyone's opinion, vote, and play nice. Naturally though humanity is more primitive; pushing out the weak, forming alliances with like-minded groups, etc. No it's not "right" but it's nature vs nurture 101. That's why when people say, "Be civilized" it's usually when we are acting like animals.
Very true. Working in law enforcement I have to make the conscious decision everyday to chill the **** out and remember that i deal with some serious scum and that the majority of people are just people not trying to be anything other than that. I have seen some crap and maybe I'm just desensitized to people being assholes unless they're REALLY trying to screw with someone. I have to zen out and let assholes and their assholishness go or else I'd end up just like them. Sometimes I am and have to combat that. Sometimes I don't realize I'm doing it and it takes an understanding mind to correct me without resorting to the same assholish tactics. Maybe this guy is the same way.

Shiny footprints.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

You certainly are a business man. Selling " Flea Market" grade knives like those, at those prices, would certainly increase profits! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I definitely try to not hold a grudge and take each new topic with an open mind, but when the thread following a last one that has rubbed me the wrong way starts off heading in that exact direction, there's little point in trying to steer it in a better direction. The last time around I probably typed 1000+ words in response to this guy's posts trying to come to an understanding, so nobody can tell me I haven't done my part in being civil. Maybe like Darby said the best course of action is to just ignore these threads, but at the same time you've gotta find a little humor in these kinds of things, or else you do end up being someone who takes them too seriously.
~David
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Archimedes wrote:

You certainly are a business man. Selling " Flea Market" grade knives like those, at those prices, would certainly increase profits! :D
I have nothing to do with Elemental Knives.
bearfacedkiller

Let's do this! :confused: ;) :D

A DeLeeka4? Sorry for the ametuer photo editing. :o
IMG_1899122.jpg
-Darby
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Let's do this! :confused: ;) :D

A DeLeeka4?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

npad69 wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
npad69 wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:1. Put a flipper on all of the big sellers and no this doesn't mean to stop making the same models without flippers.

2. Stop putting holes on fixed blade knives... not everyone have a hole fetish.

3. Put on rainbow colored coatings, bronze colored coatings in three different shades (not on the same blade) on select knives.

This is what I came up with for now.
you're the guys whos going to start a new knife company right? why are you divulging all your product strategy secrets then?
Because I don't see other knife makers as a potential threat?
omg.. omg.. omg..
well in that case, Sal please listen to this guy! me wanty wanty one!! please Sal oh pretty please!!
Nice Photoshop job! I bet you could get some factory in China to crank those out for sale on Alibaba.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...