What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by spyderg »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:Got my new Manix 2 LW. Still not sold on it, love the steel and how it feels in hand but have not figured out how to close it one handed without cutting myself.

I just hold mine like this, pull the lock, and a slight movement, (even just tilting the knife works) and she's closed. Once you get comfortable with it, there's a bunch of different ways too.
IMG_20150710_140033.jpg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Zenith wrote:Image
I like the "flat" grind!

I much prefer FFG SE's over the hollow ground SE's. Seems like they were much more common a few years ago, before my Spyderco days. :o
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

spyderg wrote:
HarleyXJGuy wrote:Got my new Manix 2 LW. Still not sold on it, love the steel and how it feels in hand but have not figured out how to close it one handed without cutting myself.

I just hold mine like this, pull the lock, and a slight movement, (even just tilting the knife works) and she's closed. Once you get comfortable with it, there's a bunch of different ways too.
IMG_20150710_140033.jpg
Yeah that is how I cut myself. The lock is so hard to pull I have to jam the end of the knife into my palm. Some of the skin comes over the end and the tip get me when I.flip it closed. Small cuts but I am of fan of keeping the number of holes God started me off with.

Going to try some WD 40 I think.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

2013 Forum Native & C83 Persian
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Yeah that is how I cut myself. The lock is so hard to pull I have to jam the end of the knife into my palm. Some of the skin comes over the end and the tip get me when I.flip it closed. Small cuts but I am of fan of keeping the number of holes God started me off with.

Going to try some WD 40 I think.[/quote]

Keep at it, mine seemed ridiculously stiff at first, a little break in plus more importantly just your hand getting used to the new motion and in a week it'll seem natural and easy. Even with my off hand, (badly injured at that) it's easy now.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

spyderg wrote:Yeah that is how I cut myself. The lock is so hard to pull I have to jam the end of the knife into my palm. Some of the skin comes over the end and the tip get me when I.flip it closed. Small cuts but I am of fan of keeping the number of holes God started me off with.

Keep at it, mine seemed ridiculously stiff at first, a little break in plus more importantly just your hand getting used to the new motion and in a week it'll seem natural and easy. Even with my off hand, (badly injured at that) it's easy now.[/quote]

Kind of what I was hoping, giving it a lot of pocket time while my Cruwear Military is off with Steve being pumped. Really want to like the Manix.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

HarleyXJGuy wrote: Yeah that is how I cut myself. The lock is so hard to pull I have to jam the end of the knife into my palm. Some of the skin comes over the end and the tip get me when I.flip it closed. Small cuts but I am of fan of keeping the number of holes God started me off with.

Ha! I know exactly what you are talking about, I also nicked my palm like this with the Manix LW. Once the spring breaks in it will be easier to pull, and you would not have to dig the butt of the knife into your palm so hard. My LW is now a pleasure to use.

I found that the Casey deep carry clip gives some traction to the butt end of the G10 Manix. Operating the lock will become second nature with some practice. Its the most fun lock for me aside from the compression lock.

Hans

Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Zenith wrote:Image
I like the "flat" grind!

I much prefer FFG SE's over the hollow ground SE's. Seems like they were much more common a few years ago, before my Spyderco days. :o
I know what you mean. When I first was introduced to Spyderco there was a Para Military 1 in SE that I drooled over but could never afford then.

I should get my flat platon in the next few weeks if all goes well with variable speed. Then I can go as thin as I want :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Domino in CTS-204P.
Its prolly my favorite Spydie. Fit,finish,ergos, and performance are just very,very slick!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

None whatsoever!

I have to thank Bearfacedkiller for turning me on to IWB carry. I've had my orange delica on me 100% of the time when I'm out of the house for the past two weeks. It felt funny at first, but I found the sweet spot at 12:30 and I almost never have to take it out. A breakthrough for gym-shorts carry!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:None whatsoever!

I have to thank Bearfacedkiller for turning me on to IWB carry. I've had my orange delica on me 100% of the time when I'm out of the house for the past two weeks. It felt funny at first, but I found the sweet spot at 12:30 and I almost never have to take it out. A breakthrough for gym-shorts carry!
Nice. Thanx for sharing that.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MacLaren wrote:Nice. Thanx for sharing that.
No problem. This has, of course, rekindled my mad love affair with the FRN Delica 4, the results of which have shaken up my collection. Hopefully I'll be sharing these results in the near future.
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
clevelanddean

Post by clevelanddean »

PhotoGrid_1436809698830.jpg
3 days old
difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Hans

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

HarleyXJGuy wrote:
spyderg wrote:

IMG_20150710_140033.jpg

I did that twice when I got my first Manix. What was really irritating was that both cuts were in exactly the same place on the fleshy heel of my hand. Maybe the tip of the blade is a bit longer on some of them. But the springs in all of mine have been pretty easy to pull and all my Manix blades have been easy to fall with gravity (no flipping necessary--that's what I love about them), even when holding the flat side almost horizontal to the ground. It did take the DLC blades a week or so to loosen up enough to move like on teflon rollers.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Today the 2013 Forum Native 5, in anticipation of the new Forum Native 5 LW. Also the green H1 Ladybug that's always in my watch pocket.
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Image
I love the picture
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian