2 weeks edc serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSquared

Re: 2 weeks edc serrations

Post by PSquared »

If I need to cut drywall (not so much these days), rope or some kind of plastic / UPVC pipe, I'll pull a serrated knife out of the collection specifically for the task. Cutting vegetation in the garden? I have more efficient tools in my shed for that, fun as it is to occasionally attack a Bougainvillea with a Tasman Salt.

My vehicles all have a Rescue or an Atlantic Salt in the glove compartment but thankfully I have never needed to use them. My diving harness has a Enuff Salt on as almost everything I have ever needed to cut underwater benefitted from serrations (mostly monofilament and nylon rope). The Enuff allows me to pry as well that a hook knife doesn't.

I have more use for a sharp plain edge these days in my office world. That said, the Ladybug on my keychain is generally SE to compliment my normal plain edge knife and gets used mostly on zip ties and clam shell packaging (scissors still work better on the latter if they are at hand).

Fully serrated knives are, in my world, task oriented tools rather than EDC. But practicalities be damned, sometimes it's just fun to carry a serrated blade!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PSquared wrote: Fully serrated knives are, in my world, task oriented tools rather than EDC. But practicalities be damned, sometimes it's just fun to carry a serrated blade!
That about sums it up for me too. Just as there isn't one perfect knife, there isn't a perfect edge type for every scenario. I'm starting to appreciate the idea of a combo edge more and more though especially on a larger blade where you can get a good amount of each edge type.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
PSquared wrote: Fully serrated knives are, in my world, task oriented tools rather than EDC. But practicalities be damned, sometimes it's just fun to carry a serrated blade!
That about sums it up for me too. Just as there isn't one perfect knife, there isn't a perfect edge type for every scenario. I'm starting to appreciate the idea of a combo edge more and more though especially on a larger blade where you can get a good amount of each edge type.
This all just goes to make a case that having a full Spyderedged folder for a "companion blade" makes perfect sense. There just isn't hardly a day go by anymore that I don't use both edge types for something. It's pretty rare when I don't use a PE & SE blade at least twice for each one in a day.

Some of these Spyderco models that are listed as full SE but have about 3/4 to one inch of plain edge on the end are really ideal for many of my cutting jobs. But there are times I can't do without my full PE blade. Spyderco had the foresight to see that both edge types are truly essential for those who have a lot of cutting jobs on a daily basis>> and they've capitalized well on it too ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I agree 1000% with you all. No magic recipe for edge, blade shape, etc.... thus carrying a companion blade is the best way to overcome this challenge. I always have a PE on my person, and most days I also have a spare (or two) that are more often than not serrated. Even if I forget all my usual suspects, my car has an SE 93mm Rescue, my keys have an SE Ladybug and if all else fails, I have an SE Native in my carry bag.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as most here, I always carry at least one SE and one PE with me every day, and generally use them both for different tasks.
There's no absolute jack of all trades, all sizes, shapes and edge types have their roles

even the backup keychain knife or the inoffensive SAK excel at tasks other blades would be too clumsy, big or inappropriate for

my main EDC folder is a SE Pacific, but even that one has a very decent PE portion of the blade near the tip for precise or slicey cuts
Most times it needs to be sharp, not big or long
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The companion knife concept is valid. Mostly I just rely on the rescue knife in my car console if I want SE. It’s that rare in my world.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Atlantic Salt is here. Starting my 2 weeks, carrying this only!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

EDCing a Spyderco serrated/Spyderedged folder?? If this doesn't sell you all I don't know what would. Well yesterday said it all for me. And I actually really impressed some people I was working for. We had a lot of discarded cardboard left over of items that had recently been shipped to us where I'm currently working and some of the boxes and shipping materials were way to big for the dumpster :eek: Needless to say they had to be cut to size and we didn't have much time before the re-cycling truck was scheduled to arrive.

I just told the two people I was working for to step aside and within 30 minutes I had everything cut to a very small size with just that one SE Spyderco folder I happened to bring to work with me that day. Using my trusty Spyderco ATS-55 Spyderedged, Stainless Handled RESCUE model I literally cut it all about as quick as you could have cut it with a laser :cool: I had just put a really good edge on it the night before and I was even amazed at how quick I dispatched all of that cardboard needing to be disposed of.

Now I do think I could have even done it quicker with a serrated fixed blade. All of those sheepsfoot Serrated Spyderco folders are serious tools and make excellent companion blades. Case Closed :cool:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JD Spydo wrote:EDCing a Spyderco serrated/Spyderedged folder?? If this doesn't sell you all I don't know what would.
Yeah I'm mystified that everyone on this forum isn't hopelessly addicted to SE blades. I don't get it. I own exactly one PE Spyderco and I'd trade it for an SE version if it existed. It would be so much better in SE now that I think of it. It's in my pocket right now... so sad.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

zhyla wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:EDCing a Spyderco serrated/Spyderedged folder?? If this doesn't sell you all I don't know what would.
Yeah I'm mystified that everyone on this forum isn't hopelessly addicted to SE blades. I don't get it. I own exactly one PE Spyderco and I'd trade it for an SE version if it existed. It would be so much better in SE now that I think of it. It's in my pocket right now... so sad.
hahaha me too, I only own one PE Spyderco, but 14 in SE.
And I'd also grab a SE version of it (Resilience) if it existed :p
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
I picked up 4 back-up PE Pacific Salts because it was my favorite folder. On a whim I traded for a SE version. After EDCing it, I'm trading off the PE versions with the intention of stocking up on SE sometime between now and when they're discontinued. SE is easily my favorite now.
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

So far, what I'm really enjoying about SE on this Atlantic Salt is the 'grippiness' of the edge. Normally, If I'm opening clamshell packaging or about to cut a zip tie, there's a bit of slip with a PE before the knife starts to cut.

Not so with the SE. The serrations grip and grab and I don't have to worry about the edge moving somewhere outside of where I want it to be.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

curlyhairedboy wrote:So far, what I'm really enjoying about SE on this Atlantic Salt is the 'grippiness' of the edge. Normally, If I'm opening clamshell packaging or about to cut a zip tie, there's a bit of slip with a PE before the knife starts to cut.

Not so with the SE. The serrations grip and grab and I don't have to worry about the edge moving somewhere outside of where I want it to be.
Overall I think this is the biggest advantage in everyday use. This is where it doesn't matter how sharp a PE is, if the material is hard enough that the edge doesn't immediately dog in and start slicing it's going to slip. This is also very dangerous since slipping usually means your blade goes flying off unintentionally.
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:Overall I think this is the biggest advantage in everyday use. This is where it doesn't matter how sharp a PE is, if the material is hard enough that the edge doesn't immediately dog in and start slicing it's going to slip. This is also very dangerous since slipping usually means your blade goes flying off unintentionally.
Yes, the other advantage is the points are able to focus a lot of pressure to help get a cut started.

Another advantage is how cool the edge looks :). And another is that no matter how dull your knife is, the rear-most serration is always sharp enough to trim a fingernail in a pinch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Evil D wrote:Overall I think this is the biggest advantage in everyday use. This is where it doesn't matter how sharp a PE is, if the material is hard enough that the edge doesn't immediately dog in and start slicing it's going to slip. This is also very dangerous since slipping usually means your blade goes flying off unintentionally.
Yes, the other advantage is the points are able to focus a lot of pressure to help get a cut started.

Another advantage is how cool the edge looks :). And another is that no matter how dull your knife is, the rear-most serration is always sharp enough to trim a fingernail in a pinch.
That's a great point you make there "Zhyla" ;) Which is why I'm wishing that Spyderco will soon start trying out other serration patterns. As much as I love Spyderco's mainline serration pattern especially the spikey type pattern you see on their Japan made units I still want to see other patterns tested out.

I own a few of Spyderco's culinary/kitchen knives that have the more rounded/wavy type pattern in which I can control the direction of the cut somewhat better than I can with their spikey serrations. At some point I would like to see a folder with a more rounded/wavy type of serration pattern.

As far as keeping your Spyderedges sharp and ready for immediate use I maintain most of my Spyderedged units with my Spyderco 701 Profiles which keep them about as sharp as a witches tongue :eek: >> I find if you just do minor tune-ups on Spyderedges they rarely ever get dull>> depending on what you might be cutting at the time of course.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
zhyla wrote:

That's a great point you make there "Zhyla" ;) Which is why I'm wishing that Spyderco will soon start trying out other serration patterns. As much as I love Spyderco's mainline serration pattern especially the spikey type pattern you see on their Japan made units I still want to see other patterns tested out.
I love Spyderco's Spyderedges but also enjoy trying out new SE patterns when I cann. All excel at something, even though Spyderco's teeth are the best overall

I'd like to see them explore other patterns and maybe implement them on some specific use and specialty models. Who knows, maybe they could implement it as part of the CQI in some models! :rolleyes:

CRKT and their VEFF, Victorinox and the good old "butter blades" they make and Cold Steel's needle sharp teeth, together with Leatherman's SE patterns and Kershaw's rounded wavy teeth all have very good points and uses

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

It would be interesting to hear Spyderco's thoughts on serration patterns. They've been making essentially the same pattern for decades and unlike most of their features (holes, clips, locks, materials) they haven't really iterated on the serrations. I wonder why? I think the machinery to cut them is expensive so there may be some reluctance to experiment there. But I also suspect the Spyderco pattern is close to perfect.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:It would be interesting to hear Spyderco's thoughts on serration patterns. They've been making essentially the same pattern for decades and unlike most of their features (holes, clips, locks, materials) they haven't really iterated on the serrations. I wonder why? I think the machinery to cut them is expensive so there may be some reluctance to experiment there. But I also suspect the Spyderco pattern is close to perfect.
Yeah I've wondered for some time why Spyderco hasn't tried to improve on the serration patterns they already have or just try to design some new ones all together?? The rounded/wavy type patterns that Spyderco has put on their culinary/kitchen blades is really a very efficient cutting pattern and they don't tend to snag up on things like the more spikey serrations do.

It would be cool to have more of a variety of serration patterns because not all cutting jobs do well with just one pattern. The best pattern I've gotten from Spyderco up till now has been my older AUS-8, full Spyderedged Catcherman model. The serration pattern on that unit is like a low profile set of serrations that are really relatively easy to sharpen and they really cut precisely for a serrated blade. That serrated Catcherman is about my all time favorite serrated blade Spyderco ever put out to date.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would really like to try the same serration pattern but about twice as wide, so make the small scallops the size of the current large ones and double the large size. I believe it would increase slicing performance and reduce snagging. I'd also like to try a single large scallop pattern.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I would really like to try the same serration pattern but about twice as wide, so make the small scallops the size of the current large ones and double the large size. I believe it would increase slicing performance and reduce snagging. I'd also like to try a single large scallop pattern.
I've actually seen a single large scallop serration pattern on a well known German brand of culinary knives not too long ago. It was interesting to see I must say. As far as wider scallops are concerned I would truly have to test drive such an animal to determine whether or not I would like it.

Believe me a traditional Spyderedge serration pattern with a lower profile pattern like the ones on the older AUS-8 Catcherman model just don't snag at all >> so I can see what you're aiming at.