2015 Forum Knife Announcement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curdog

Re: 2015 Forum Knife Announcement

Post by curdog »

Sweet knife , looks like a nother native fourm blade for me
Thanks spyderco
Pied

Post by Pied »

Very nice knife!

I am happy that I can also buy the Forum Knife as a new Member. I wish my english would be better - its a challenge for me to post. Thats the reason why I read and dont write most of the time. But I understand the discussion and try my best in the future:)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been on knife buying break lately but this is a no brainier for me. Can't wait!!!!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

tvenuto wrote:
Donut wrote:That's a good idea, but... I imagine there are a number of users, who are members, who monitor the forums and don't actually post here.

For example, I am a member at BF, but the last time I posted there was March.
Are you saying that gaining new members is not positive because there is a chance they may not contribute? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that's a somewhat absurd notion if I understand you correctly.

There is currently a thread in off topic lamenting the decline in vigorous discussion.

So which is it? We can't desire new members enthusiastically contributing to our community, and yet at the same time clutch this forum to our chest whenever there is some tangible benefit to being a member. To do so requires some serious cognitive dissonance.

Spyderco has made it clear that the forum knife, like the forum, is about inclusivity. Thus, we should not seek to put pressure on limiting the announcement of the forum knife. Would we do that for a regular production knife that Spyderco was releasing?
I'm saying that there might be 1,000 existing members whose priorities don't align with "Don't advertise the forum knife to other forums."
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tvenuto wrote:
Donut wrote:That's a good idea, but... I imagine there are a number of users, who are members, who monitor the forums and don't actually post here.

Are you saying that gaining new members is not positive because there is a chance they may not contribute? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that's a somewhat absurd notion if I understand you correctly.

There is currently a thread in off topic lamenting the decline in vigorous discussion.

So which is it? We can't desire new members enthusiastically contributing to our community, and yet at the same time clutch this forum to our chest whenever there is some tangible benefit to being a member. To do so requires some serious cognitive dissonance.

Spyderco has made it clear that the forum knife, like the forum, is about inclusivity. Thus, we should not seek to put pressure on limiting the announcement of the forum knife. Would we do that for a regular production knife that Spyderco was releasing?
+1 thank you
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

tvenuto wrote:

I know you are right philosophically, I still just don't want the long time members to get snaked by a flipper.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Lovely looking knife and superb materials.....but I know with a cast iron certainty that UK Customs will falsely impound it* and that'll be that :(
Enjoy you lucky fellas that get one.

*UK HMRC is currently 'doing a NYC' and anything which can be opened with even 5 heavy wrist flicks they are counting as a 'gravity knife'- impounding it, then destroying it.....Even when the knife in question patently isn't a gravity knife and is already available in the UK....Sad but unless you've got probably £5k+ to fight it in magistrates court you won't be getting your knife back. :(
paladin

Post by paladin »

I would like to see a "prime time" launch in the afternoon when folks who have 9-5 jobs (and not allowed to shop/order online during work) would have a better shot to score...

OTOH, I understand such an offering would make for a VERY long night for the SpyderCrew....such is life.... :(

So.... I am SATISFIED that I live in Tennessee where I can now legally own/use nearly any knife I can afford! :D

Just gotta hope Golden turned up the volume for this one! :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

paladin wrote:I would like to see a "prime time" launch in the afternoon when folks who have 9-5 jobs (and not allowed to shop/order online during work) would have a better shot to score...

OTOH, I understand such an offering would make for a VERY long night for the SpyderCrew....such is life.... :(

So.... I am SATISFIED that I live in Tennessee where I can now legally own/use nearly any knife I can afford! :D

Just gotta hope Golden turned up the volume for this one! :)
Smart phone + bathroom stall, my friend. ;)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Good call haha. I highly doubt this one will sell as fast as 2013s did
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
paladin

Post by paladin »

tvenuto wrote: Smart phone + bathroom stall, my friend. ;)
Yep...but with my job it's question of even finding time to GO TO THE BATHROOM, seriously...I just got over kidney stones because of my daily grind-- no kidding :mad:

I just gotta hope these things drop on my vacation time (like now :) ) or call in sick, hahahha :rolleyes:
Holland wrote:Good call haha. I highly doubt this one will sell as fast as 2013s did
I tend to agree Holland, but with a nearly as highly desired "supersteel" at a lower price point, we may need to fasten our seatbelts :eek:

Hey, just think s90v is just 20v 's less than s110v...almost as good! ;) :rolleyes: :p :spyder:
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

I'm really excited about this. :) This will be my first Forum Knife, and my first S90V knife. And it's only a few dollars more than the standard production one. :D

Matt
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Pied wrote:Very nice knife!

I am happy that I can also buy the Forum Knife as a new Member. I wish my english would be better - its a challenge for me to post. Thats the reason why I read and dont write most of the time. But I understand the discussion and try my best in the future:)
I can understand you perfectly Pied :D your English aint bad at all...and Welcome to the forum, good to have you.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

tvenuto wrote: Smart phone + bathroom stall, my friend. ;)
Unless you work in a fallout shelter like I do. I get full service outside, but indoors my phone overheats trying to maintain a signal when I'm not even using it. Strangely, the center of the building seems to get the best service, and that is where the bathrooms are! Still, I'll wait till lunch break which is 11:30 eastern so I should be fine.

And Pied, your English is better than mine some nights. Don't worry about a thing!
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Been away for a while and came back to see the announcement. I wasn't even sure there was going to be a 2015 Forum knife......so this sure is good news. I was going to pickup a LtWt Native S110v when they dropped to match my LtWt Manix but this sure will fit the bill too.

This was certainly not expected and not what I was hoping for (Caly 3.5 ;) ) but it is also a welcome break on the wallet too and will probably mean that I can pick up an additional Spyderco this year as well. So it all worked out well in the end.

I still hope that we are one day surprised with a new dark blue or green G10 Caly 3.5 in a Japanese boutique steel or a bolstered CF Caly 3.5 Damascus makes an appearance . :p

But for now I am very happy and my bank account thanks Sal and Spyderco as well. :D

P.S. I am very excited for those who will be getting their first Forum knife......the 2013 Forum knife was my first and I remember that excitement well. Happy times my friends! :)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Wow. That is a great deal on a Forum knife. It's going to be a perfect pairing with the S110V G10 Native. I like the use of inserts for the clip too.

Going to pass on this one myself as I learned with the 2013 Forum knife that the Native egros just don't do it for my hand. More for the rest of you guys. I'll be gunning for the HAP40 Endura.

Hats off to Sal and the Spyderco crew for another generous Forum offering.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I still remember the day the 2013 knife went up for sale... I had Jury Duty and the Spyderco server kept going down from high traffic. I kept trying and trying, and managed to hit "Submit" on my phone as we were lining up to go into a courtroom. When we got out, I checked and my order had gone through. :) That knife is a great user, and I imagine this new one will be even easier to carry, and the knife I have with me is the knife I tend to use more. Hopefully I will be lucky again, and get through to order one of this new version.

Thanks Spyderco for doing these special knives for us! :)

P.S. I like that the code is up for anyone to see (member or not). That will prevent the "new member shaming" that happened last time around.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:P.S. I like that the code is up for anyone to see (member or not). That will prevent the "new member shaming" that happened last time around.
What are you talking about? The discount code was public last time too.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

jabba359 wrote:What are you talking about? The discount code was public last time too.
Well, maybe it was... I just remember signing up for the forum near the release and people not being very welcoming because they thought I was here to buy all of the knives.
BTG

Post by BTG »

MattM68 wrote:I'm really excited about this. :) This will be my first Forum Knife, and my first S90V knife. And it's only a few dollars more than the standard production one. :D

Matt
Same for me, this will be my first Forum Knife, and s90v, if I can land one...any ideas on production numbers?